A Thread For Small Questions VIII

mormont

OK, for anyone not familiar with this, this is a place to ask the little things that don't fit in the other threads and don't really merit a thread of their own. Details you missed, facts you're not sure of, page references you need, and so on. It's not really suitable for discussing theories, major issues such as parentage questions, long debates over the history of the Seven Kingdoms, and so on - if you want to discuss those, start a thread!

Carrying it over from the other thread:

Why did GRRM decide to give character's "nicknames" for the title of the chapters in AFfC rather than their names, and is this expected to continue in AdWD?

change in style and probably.

Was Robet really trying to kill Dany and Viserys or was it simply a lie Viserys told Dany. It seems as if all the stuff Viserys told his sister were half truths or just things he imagined.

I feel the reason they moved around so much is because Viserys over stayed his welcome and not because the Usurpers hired knives were after them.

I say this because it comes across as if Robert paid little attention to them, from the time they fled Dragonstone till the time Dany was married.

I have a couple of questions about the Kingsguard:

1. Did Ser Jon Darry die at the Battle of the Trident? It's implied in FFC when Jaime recollects his last conversation with Rhaegar and Ser Jon as they were leaving King's Landing for the Trident (FFC Jaime I), but I was wondering if there's a more specific reference to his death. We know he didn't survive the war, since Jaime and Barristan were the only surviving members of Aerys' KG (COK Tyrion I) . Aerys' seven at the time of his death: Ser Gerold Hightower (Lord Commander) "the White Bull," Ser Arthur Dayne "the Sword of the Morning," Ser Oswell Whent, Prince Lewyn of Dorne, Ser Jon Darry, Ser Barristan Selmy, Ser Jaime Lannister. Jaime was sworn in at the Harrenhal tourney, replacing Ser Harlan Grandison, who had died in his sleep (SOS Jaime II). The White Bull, the Sword of the Morning, and Oswell Whent died at the tower of Joy (GOT Eddard X), Prince Lewyn was killed by Ser Lyn Corbray and Lady Forlorn at the Trident (FFC Sansa II), and Barristan was wounded at the Trident, pardoned by Robert, and raised to LC (GOT Eddard VIII).

2. Were there any changes to Robert's Kingsguard during his reign, or were the seven "in office" at the time of his death the seven he appointed/renewed when he became king? I can't find any references to changes in the KG during his reign, but thought I might have missed something, and I wonder what the seniority is of the five excluding Barristan and Jaime. Robert's seven: Ser Barristan Selmy (LC), Ser Jaime Lannister, Ser Preston Greenfield, Ser Mandon Moore, Ser Meryn Trant, Ser Boros Blount, Ser Arys Oakheart.

The stabilitiy of the KG under Robert is quite a contrast the situation under Joffrey: Barristan is "retired" and replaced by Sandor Clegane and Jaime replaces him as LC (GOT Sansa V); Arys leaves for Dorne (COK Tyrion IX); Preston is killed by a mob (COK Tyrion IX) and replaced by Ser Balon Swann (COK Tyrion XI); Mandon is killed by Podrick Payne (COK Tyrion XIV); Boros is removed by Cersei and replaced by Ser Osmund Kettleblack (COK Tyrion XI), but he is later reinstated by Tywin (SOS Tyrion II); Sandor leaves King's Landing (COK Sansa VII); Ser Loras Tyrell is sworn in after the Battle of the Blackwater (COK Sansa VIII). COK Sansa VIII has a summary of the KG status after Blackwater: "Mandon Moore had perished in the battle, the Hound had vanished, Arys Oakheart was in Dorne with Princess Myrcella, and Jaime Lannister was Robb's captive, so the Kingsguard had been reduced to Balon Swann, Meryn Trant, and Osmund Kettleblack."

I think the only change under Tommen so far is Arys' death at the hands of Areo Hotah (FFC Arianne I). Also Ser Balon Swann was heading to Dorne.

1. Yes, Jonothor Darry died at the Trident

2. As far as we are aware there were no changes made to the KG in Robert's rule. Keeping in mind except from the Greyjoy Rebellion the realm was at peace so apart from Selmy there's not much chance of them dying of old age

1. Yes, Jonothor Darry died at the Trident

Thanks! Do you have a different reference from one of the books that Darry died at the Trident or is your answer based on the same reference as mine (FFC Jaime I)?

Was Robet really trying to kill Dany and Viserys or was it simply a lie Viserys told Dany. It seems as if all the stuff Viserys told his sister were half truths or just things he imagined.

I feel the reason they moved around so much is because Viserys over stayed his welcome and not because the Usurpers hired knives were after them.

I say this because it comes across as if Robert paid little attention to them, from the time they fled Dragonstone till the time Dany was married.

I don't think there's any definitive evidence, but it's strongly implied that your interpretation is correct.

Thanks! Do you have a different reference from one of the books that Darry died at the Trident or is your answer based on the same reference as mine (FFC Jaime I)?

Just the Jaime chapter and the fact that he was at the trident and Barristan is said to be the only KG that survived the battle

This might be a stupid question. I think we all agree Jon Snow was born in Dorne, right?

So why is his last name Snow and not Sand?

It can't be because Ned is from the North - just look at the names of Robert's many bastard sons and daughters.

Just wondering.

This might be a stupid question. I think we all agree Jon Snow was born in Dorne, right?

So why is his last name Snow and not Sand?

It can't be because Ned is from the North - just look at the names of Robert's many bastard sons and daughters.

Just wondering.

I think your name depends more on were you were raised rather than were you were born but in most cases the two things are the same

I always assumed that it was to avoid attention being drawn to Jon being born in the same region that Lyanna died in. Since there is no central naming commission, no one argued with Ned when he said his new baby was Jon Snow.

Don't most Westerosi people who care about it think that either Wyalla or Ashara Dayne is the mother? So if he did go with Sand most people probably would just assume it was because that's were his mother is

Don't most Westerosi people who care about it think that either Wyalla or Ashara Dayne is the mother? So if he did go with Sand most people probably would just assume it was because that's were his mother is

Huh. Can bastards take the 'name' of either their father's or mother's region? E.g., Mya Stone.

It may be that since Ned acknowledged (but not acknowledged-acknowledged) Jon from the beginning, Snow was more appropriate.

I don't believe there was ever any attempts on their life by Robert or the small council until Jorah became an informant, and even that was mostly staged by Varys to make Jorah seem more trustworthy by saving Daenerys from the wine poisoner.

I think Viserys used it as an excuse to maintain an aura of power and importance to Daenerys, and he also may have been legitimately paranoid since we was a crazy person. Lastly, maybe there was an attempt or two on their life, but not hired knives by Robert -- just creeps looking to prey upon two vulnerable kids.

Pretty sure that while Ned was willing to do anything to keep his last promise to Lyanna, he would also do anything in his power to avoid dishonoring Ashara Dayne or implying that she had a bastard child. If he had to carry this burden of dishonor, he wouldn't want to share it with the woman he loved.

what would have happened to Bran and Hodor had the 5 year gap been implemented? Surely he's gonna get to big to be carried around soon?

I think GRRM mentioned that he decided to skip 5 year gap plot device. He couldn't go thru with it so he rewrote everything to avoid it.

I don't believe there was ever any attempts on their life by Robert or the small council until Jorah became an informant, and even that was mostly staged by Varys to make Jorah seem more trustworthy by saving Daenerys from the wine poisoner.

I think Viserys used it as an excuse to maintain an aura of power and importance to Daenerys, and he also may have been legitimately paranoid since we was a crazy person. Lastly, maybe there was an attempt or two on their life, but not hired knives by Robert -- just creeps looking to prey upon two vulnerable kids.

Plus that attempt on Dany's life, especially if it was staged, acted to incide both her and Drogo to start their invasion of Westeros. With death of Viseris both she and Drogo were pretty complacent where they were, and couple of people mentioned that Drogo wouldn't even continue with any sort of conquest - Westeros or otherwise till Dany's child was born. Also, without the need to get revenge on Westerosi, Drogo or any other Dorthaki would do anything to avoid crossing the sea - "poison water" - which is a must in order to invade Westeros.

So that attempt was need to jog both Dany and Drogo to move on with their invasion plans.

something I am curious about but is it true that a dance with dragons is going to be taking place during a feast for crows?

Yes, for at least 2/3 of the book. At the end there will be some movement forward.

Is the Arryn boy epileptic?

The symptoms seem similar but it also might be a side-effect of sweet milk, which is some sort of very strong addictive narcotic as well as depressant .

I don't remember him having the symptoms in aGoT, maybe at the end of ASOS but mostly in AFFC.

The symptoms seem similar but it also might be a side-effect of sweet milk, which is some sort of very strong addictive narcotic as well as depressant .

I don't remember him having the symptoms in aGoT, maybe at the end of ASOS but mostly in AFFC.

He is described as "sickly" in the GoT appendix.

Archived