[Book Spoilers] EP106 Discussion Part Two

Now that's just so fucking tacky. :thumbsdown:

Agreed. At least if we see someone wearing that shirt at a con, It'll be like a neon warning sign to stay away.

Kinda surprised they didn't place the X's so that it outlines a johnson or something.

I fear for what may come of Myrish Swamp.

All I can say to that is: seven hells!

Tyrion and Bronn don't appear in Episode 7. I think it's likely they will just meet up with Tywin at the Inn in Episode 8.

[EDIT] Actually, forgot they are at the Inn at the end of the book, not this early. So they must meet up with the Tywin's half of the Lannister host wherever that is, but I don't recall exactly where that is right now.

They don't meet up with Tywin until after Ned is already dead, and they are at war.

I suppose the series could speed that war up, by virtue of Ned calling for Tywin to answer for Gregor's crime or be branded a traitor.

Anyway, has Shagga been cast? If I were making the show, I would probably them leave Tyrion bringing the clans with him out of the show entirely.

Tyrion's got Bronn as his bodyguard. I don't think that him having an army of the hill clans is necessary for the show.

They don't ever advance the plot. Certainly not in any way that Bronn can't function on his own. He uses them to guard Shae and have some thugs loyal to himself. Of course in the next book he has Bronn go out and hire thugs loyal to him anyway. The only minor way they advance the story through 4 books, is by allowing Tywin to send Tyrion to lead the one attack and survive. Its a very minor thing to increase the number of characters for.

I say cut them out.

Thanks Brewmaster, I definitely had some facts wrong there.

Shagga has been cast according to this site, but the other two have not. So we'll probably get a little bit of Tyrion meeting Shagga

probably in Episode 8

. Tyrion still has to 'acquire' Shae, fight in a battle, and get sent to Kings Landing to be Joffrey's Hand, assuming they don't cut any of that. There's a lot of material for the last few episodes, so we'll see.

I thought the shirt was pretty funny. I wouldn't wear it in public, but I might sleep in one (not that I'd actually buy it).

If anyone could pull it off as cute and funny, it would be you Lany. :kiss:

But you know how there is at least one really inappropriate guy at every con (the tickler, the massage guy, the other massage guy, etc.)? All I can imagine is that this shirt would appeal to that type. "I'm a stud of Westeros, don't you want me to give you a massage?!"

That visual kinda ruins it for me...

Pft. Everybody knows that the real 8-maters would have a ribbon.

Wht about 4x2 guy or whoever?

come on he'd totally have an Eight shirt

All the answers to our nitpicks are in ACOK. :)

So it turns out that we know exactly how boars were hunted in Westeros: "you need a boarspear to hunt boars, and horses and dogs, and men to flush the boar from its lair." Can't argue with Arya!

Also for those who were saying last week that it was ok that Loras was so weak looking because he was a jouster and not necessarily that great a swordsman, he fights in Renly's melee with a long-handled axe, and the melee has been going on for a day or more. Doesn't that take a good amount of upper body strength? That guy can not swing a melee axe around all day.

You! YOU WHO SPEAK OF DARWIN, I HAVE SOMETHING I WISH TO SAY TO YOU! I HAVE A 2 X 4 IN MY PANTS!

Okay, he probably would. Though I have this image in my head of him wearing more like an aloha shirt style than a T, for some reason.

I can't remember his shirt, just that he wore his suspenders UNDER it for some reason.

Now I need brain bleach. A lot of brain bleach.

If anyone could pull it off as cute and funny, it would be you Lany. :kiss:

But you know how there is at least one really inappropriate guy at every con (the tickler, the massage guy, the other massage guy, etc.)? All I can imagine is that this shirt would appeal to that type. "I'm a stud of Westeros, don't you want me to give you a massage?!"

That visual kinda ruins it for me...

Wht about 4x2 guy or whoever?

come on he'd totally have an Eight shirt

what we need to do then is change the meaning of making the eight---to a food dish specific to each of the 8 areas. Oh, I can see it now: the trout baked in clay for the Riverlands---that dish with the hot peppers from Dorne. I think this is doable. :P

(I thought of the one creep I met wearing that shirt and yeah, it is rather gross)

... . Kudos for Jane Espenson on her fantastic job. Maybe she can get the Joss to write an episode! ...

Day late and a dollar short, but I would like to point out something that may not be evident to a lot of people.

The writing credit goes:

Written by:

Jane Espenson

and

David Benioff & D.B. Weiss

Story by: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss

In Hollywood screenwriting credits, there is a difference between the use of "and" and the ampersand (&). "And" means rewrite (if I see the screenwriting credit coming up on a film and it's got two or more "and"s in it, I generally know I'm in for a crappy flick). Ampersand (&) means collaboration. Screenwriting credits are given in the order in which the drafts were written. What this means is the showrunners came up with the story/outline/rough draft, handed it off to Espenson, and then rewrote what she handed in, substantially enough to say the last draft of the script was theirs.

While Espenson no doubt did a fine job, and I detect her voice in Sansa's "I don't care" line to Septa Mordane and Arya's "Seven hells!", there's less of her words here than you might think if you don't know how to read film/television writing credits. I used to enter writer data into the IMDb, which is how I learned all this stuff. :)

No, it seemed the same as in the book to me. In the previous episode Tyrion was saying in front of Bronn that "my father will offer a handsome reward" and a "Lannister always pays his debts" so I think it's clear that he had the same plan in the books. Also, up to that point in the book it wasn't clear that his plan all along was to get Bronn to champion for him, and even Tyrion for a moment thought he made a mistake until Bronn stepped up. I expect in the next episode Tyrion will explain to Bronn how he knew Bronn would champion for him while they're both in the mountains.

I think that Tyrion's A plan was always to name his brother, and see what will happen. He probably didn't think that Lyssa will neglect his right if he wasn't able to provide his "champion" right away. Events turned the way they did, Tyrion threw the hook and just the fish he needed got caught.

Tyrion had absolutely no reason to believe that Bronn would accept his offer any more than he could believe that any other knight of The Vale would turn his back to Lyssa and champion him for reward he promised.

Little exchange of glances between Tyrion and Bronn was priceless :smoking: Almost like Tyrion wanted to say "You really are greedy, arrogant bastard, aren't you ?! Even if you defeat this guy we will bot probably get killed anyway". And like Bronn replayed "Eh, I had nothing better to do anyway). :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Meh, I have to say I wasn't a real fan of this ep. That said, I did like the scene where Ned sits in for Robert while His Drunkiness was off huntin' wabbits...I mean, boars. Yes, it was different than in the book, but it showed Ned being a decisive and strong leader who doesn't have to be talked into taking such action against the Lannisters.

What I didn't appreciate was LF reminding Ned that the fish was the sigil of House Tully. Ned doesn't need reminding, thanks. It felt more like it was done for the benefit of those who haven't read the books, like an aside in a play. There could have been a better way for them to make the same point without it sounding like exposition.

• 2 months later...

Regarding Joffrey and Sansa's kiss, I don't recall there being a scene like that in the book. What I want to know is, was Joffrey being sincere in his apology or not/was he just ordered by his mother to do it to be on Sansa's good side again? I'm really unsure because of what happens in episode 9 (clearly Joffrey will do what he wants to do and fuck the rest) and because the apology was a bit out of the blue...

Regarding Joffrey and Sansa's kiss, I don't recall there being a scene like that in the book. What I want to know is, was Joffrey being sincere in his apology or not/was he just ordered by his mother to do it to be on Sansa's good side again? I'm really unsure because of what happens in episode 9 (clearly Joffrey will do what he wants to do and fuck the rest) and because the apology was a bit out of the blue...

It was because of what his mother said to him in episode 3 probably. But the main reason they added it was to make it more believable that Sansa still had a crush on him right until he killed Ned.

• 1 year later...

A Golden Crown best lines:

wear it in silence... (king Robert)

it's not my House (Theon)

a Lannister always pays his debts (Tyrion, finally used properly!)

oh wait, Ive just realized I don't care (Sansa)

he was no dragon, fire cannot kill a dragon (Dany)

my favourite:

you don't fight with honour! (Lysa)

no, he did! (Bronn)

and of course: a crown for a king! (Drogo)

funniest scene:

Tyrion confessing his crimes

most epic scene:

Ned establishing the Brotherhhood without Banners

• 1 year later...

Archived