The Unremembered

Sci-2

I got a hard cover when it first came out because I was curious and the author was a really good guy (he did an interview with some students of mine about the video game industry). I knew things weren't great because I got the book for $1.99....not one of those Kindle deals, but a hardcover for $1.99. You can't even get remainder books for that cheap! I still haven't read it yet.

• 1 month later...

http://aidanmoher.com/blog/featured-article/2015/05/intentions-or-this-is-what-i-meant-by-peter-orullian/

The journey to Trial of Intentions began in the year 2000. It started with a simple notion: What if I wrote an epic fantasy series that grounded readers first in the familiar, then took them to the stuff I’m doing that I feel is unique and new? That journey takes its next step on May 26th, when Trial of Intentions is released.

So, that’s the story. Fifteen years. A fledgling writer with the idea of wanting to draw new readers to a genre he loves. Some challenges along the way. Trials, if you will. The chance to put out the first book again, this time more in line with how I’d wanted to execute my idea in 2011. And a second book in the series, Trial of Intentions, where so much of what I’d dreamed about finally hits the page, and hopefully takes readers to new places.

That was a good post. It certainly has me interested in reading his books, so job well-done on his part. I remember the first book because I liked the cover and map, though I never got around to actually buying or reading it. I think I must have had other books up the list, then I probably heard some negative reviews and just bagged it. But I'm going to give it another go based on his post, sounds pretty interesting actually.

• 1 month later...

The Unremembered is Unreadable.

At least the Author edition is.

For people who've read the original copy. Does it drop you right in the middle with no clue as to what is going on? It reads as though there is at least 5 or 6 chapters missing.

It goes straight from the Prologue called Stillbirth, where Wendra's baby dies, to Tahn already being on the road with people. Then there are random characters popping up who apparently travelled with them.  There isn't even a bit of information like. This is the reason they fled. They just are.

I didn't make it through the prologue. From things I've seen around the net apparently the people who loved the first hate the new one and people who thought the first was dog shut seem to think the new one is decent, so maybe I'll give him a second chance sometime in the future.

I didn't make it through the prologue. From things I've seen around the net apparently the people who loved the first hate the new one and people who thought the first was dog shut seem to think the new one is decent, so maybe I'll give him a second chance sometime in the future.

Just checked out the Author's Edition (as someone who made it about 2 1/2 chapters in on the original) -- it's even worse. Just plunks the reader into a scene quite awkwardly (apparently 25% of the opening has been chopped out) and the writing is as terrible as it was before. Makes you wonder if editors really do anything other than gladhandle.

It's like he realised the criticism that it was like WOT was true, and so decided to delete the whole Hollows/Twin Rivers bit, and start off after they've already learned they're the chosen one.

It would be like if Robert Jordan had that prologue, and then first chapter was the first encounter with Trollocs after they'd all left home. 

It's like he realised the criticism that it was like WOT was true, and so decided to delete the whole Hollows/Twin Rivers bit, and start off after they've already learned they're the chosen one.

It would be like if Robert Jordan had that prologue, and then first chapter was the first encounter with Trollocs after they'd all left home. 

Archived