A Song of Ice and Fire [Slipcase Editions]

Buster

My copy of Thrones is reported to have shipped.

Really? The Amazon page is still saying that they don't have any and I'm still seeing "Not Yet Dispatched." on my order. Hopefully your order status isn't a mistake and they are actually shipping the books!

I don't think the release has been delayed, Harper Collins have just not bothered to send any to Amazon yet.

Though I have not contacted Harper Collins the release does appear to be delayed. I checked two other major UK book retailers, Blackwell's and Waterstones, both list the item as currently out of stock or backordered; therefore, I suspect this isn't just Amazon's supply. I am patient, but it would be nice to know when this is expected ship.

My Guess: Harper Collins have delayed the release of Game of Thrones until 1st August so that all of the books are released exactly 1 month apart.

I received this response from Harper Collins Publishers, UK today:

This title has been available from the publication date of the 21/07/11.

Short and to the point. Is the demand for this really that much greater than the supply? I mean, neat that it is selling out of stock so fast, but frustrating that Amazon was not able to secure enough copies to at least fulfill their preorders! :thumbsdown:

I've been searching the web and have only found one copy of the book on eBay, but £64 is too much to pay when my Amazon copy is only £25.83. This could be good news, because if the demand for the books is much higher than expected, it'll give Harper Collins a good reason to keep making the books! (Trying to find the good side to not having the book now.) Amazon couldn't have had many (if any) copies of the book, because I pre-ordered it a few days after it was available for pre-order.

He doesn't have them either, still listed as a preorder and will ship on or after the 21st. Sold 2 but neither has left feedback. I would guess that copies aren't available anywhere yet. I'm also an early preorder, from the 30 of May. Obviously don't know how long it was up before this thread was started, but I doubt if many people noticed it.

I pre-ordered on 28 May which is more or less as soon as the book was available for pre-order. If I didn't get one, there weren't any to get.

Harper Collins should know when the book was available since they published the thing, but I actually don't believe them here. Until someone can come up with an actual copy of the book, I'm operating under the assumption that nobody anywhere has received a copy.

Amazon wrote back to me confirming that pre-orders are filled on a first come first serve basis, and I still haven't found anyone anywhere who claims to have a copy (the Ebay auction is clearly dubious). On that basis I'm pretty confident these books have not shipped anywhere regardless of what Harper Collins says.

I just got email from bookdepository.com:

I am pleased to let you know that we have just received notification that your pre-ordered book has been made available by the publisher.

Probably get this GOT slipcase edition before weekend.

Amazon have finally given me a dispatch and delivery estimate:

Dispatch Estimate: 4 Aug 2011

Delivery Estimate: 9 Aug 2011

I really wanted it this week, but Harper Collins seem to like keeping us waiting. Hopefully it's worth the wait.

Edit: It's now "Dispatching soon", so it could be dispatched today!

My book has also dispatched from Amazon UK. Expected delivery date is August 9th. I imagine they only just received stock to their warehouse Friday or early this morning.

I don't dispute Harper Collins' claim that the book was in fact released on July 21st, but they must've only been fulfilling small or individual orders instead of bulk orders. I am only speculating, of course, based on experiences in the past. I'd considered canceling my Amazon order and ordering directly from the publisher, but the shipping charges were much higher and so I decided to wait it out.

I'm not too concerned with the wait, I just wanted to know when it would ship. It's not like I was waiting to read the story. I've long since read my older editions. I just want that nice matching set complement my library. Yes, I'm afraid I have an addiction to collecting books and this one looks nice. ;)

Mine has just been dispatched. Estimate of Aug 22 delivery, but they usually take about a week. UKers let us know about quality.

Also, might be some truth to the speculation of delaying release unti the 1st to space releases one month apart.

Archived