A Song of Ice and Fire [Slipcase Editions]

Buster

Until I see the book myself I don't know that it is nicer than a standard hardcover. Right now I'm wondering if they just didn't stick it in a slipcase and call it a day.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I was really looking forward to this edition too.

I wish the people who have it would post more pictures, it still may be worth getting when the price reduces. And comes into Canada natively... if it does.

My copy should be here on Friday, I'm hoping that this was all a dream and that I'll actually get the book that they've been advertising. The Tolkien slipcase editions are amazing quality and from the pictures we've seen A Game of Thrones doesn't even look close to that quality... what happened?

Harper Collins replied to my email:

Thank you for your email. I'm really sorry that the image confusion has caused you to feel disappointed in our edition. We are aware of the discrepancies on Amazon and have reacted - the updated pack-shot is already in their system awaiting upload - however, I know that this late amend doesn't satisfy your situation. I regret that we did not update the image in time to avert this confusion, but can perhaps offer some explanation.

We have wanted to produce a HB special edition set of George's masterpiece for many years now, and the success of HBO'S series provided us with the perfect window, but it was a very tight window. The image you made your purchase from was a mock up image of the book that we supplied to Amazon before receiving the first set of physical dummies from the printer. We felt it was important to supply an early image for this particular edition not only because of its late appearance (we usually have images prepared a year in advance of publication) but also because it is a very limited print run (3,000 copies globally), and not exclusive to Amazon.

We fully intended the edition to appear as portrayed. The spec was changed because the dummies did not reflect the quality we wanted to provide for £40. We had originally meant to match the colour of each HB to the series colour of its corresponding pb. Unfortunately, the colour choices and quality of the materials available to this design didn't satisfy us (they clashed badly and the foil was easily damaged). So we rethought, changed the colour and increased the spec of the limited edition, and believe it's a now an even better product than the original image promised, with a look that will work handsomely across the series.

You are of course entitled to return the edition to Amazon if you decide that it's not what you want, and receive a full refund for it, but I would urge you to consider its rarity (we are already out of stock). I can only apologise for the disappointment our oversight in not updating the image sooner has caused.

And again:

What we plan to do now is keep the series in the same blue box colour, and just change the foil images. We want it to be a classic and collectable series, and changing the colour of each looks too mismatched. Each book will feature a different set of houses along its edge, and one crest on the spine and box. I’m afraid – as you can see from the lack of Amazon entry – we haven’t decided on the house for CLASH yet – there is some inhouse debate going on. But it will be up before the pub date, which is now 1st October.

I actually quite like the look of these, but the quality just doesn't seem to be there for the price. Even sewn bindings and I might keep them. I'll still do my own inspection, but unless I absolutely love it in my hands I'll probably ebay it and cancel future orders. Hopefully American deluxe exists, is nice, and will cover the full series.

Signatures are the separate bunches of pages that are sewn to other signatures to complete the book and the glued to a backing. The glued lacks the signatures, and is just glued to the backing without the sewing process. A glued binding is less durable and more likely to have pages fall out, especially with use. Even if they aren't meant to be read, these books should be of high quality construction.

This is a bit of an oversimplification. For example, some methods use signatures and glue only, without sewing. That would explain why you migh see signatures and a thick bead of glue simultaneously.

Ahh, okay, thanks for the clarification.

How long would a glued hardcover last if treated well? Most of my collection is just glued - I don't many of them are sewn. I am quite surprised my AGoT (American) is sewn yet my ADWD looks to be just glued.

Still waiting for a great set for this series!

Ahh, okay, thanks for the clarification.

How long would a glued hardcover last if treated well? Most of my collection is just glued - I don't many of them are sewn. I am quite surprised my AGoT (American) is sewn yet my ADWD looks to be just glued.

Still waiting for a great set for this series!

I can't speak with any certitude on that, and I think it is somewhat random. With care most books will survive for a while. The best example I can think of as glued are the Wheel of Time Hardcovers. Some of them are deteriorating with only one read. If you are ever in a used book store, go check out the Wheel of Time hardcovers and you will understand why sewn is the superior binding.

What the hell.

The original product photo looked like some kind of faux-leather binding. The color, texture, sheen and rounded back all made it look like that.. and it looked awesome.

This is not the edition I paid for. fffffff.

I'm not returning a book across countries either. Maybe if it was a £300 book. Not a £30 book.

At least I'll know better than to preorder anything now..

Archived