[Book Spoilers] EP107 Discussion

Ran

Eh. Underwhelmed. The last scene was good, but there was too much made up crap otherwise.

I thought the Tywin scene was needed to move the storyline along. Maybe not the Littlefinger-Ros/whore scene. Rest seemed OK to me though.

Knowing whats coming, I feel bad for Ned. lol

Eh. Underwhelmed. The last scene was good, but there was too much made up crap otherwise.

I watched the episode a week ago, so forgive me if I am misremembering. But what scenes besides Littlefinger's scene was entirely made up?

I enjoyed this one, though episode 6 was better. Random notes:

-Ghost got a name finally!

-I really enjoyed Osha's scene with Theon and Aemon. I also just realized that the actress playing Osha is Tonks from the Harry Potter movies!

-The NW vows gave me chills, as did the heart tree. Good job by the props department there.

-I really, really liked the scene with Jaime and Tywin. Tywin didn't look quite like I pictured him, but the characterization of him so far is great. Really looking forward to him and Tyrion interacting.

-Speaking of which, I missed Tyrion, but I was glad to find out that Shagga has indeed been cast.

-Robert's death didn't have quite the impact on me as it did in the books...I think that's because TV-Robert was much less likeable.

-Glad that they mentioned Stannis a lot, I'm hoping non-readers are starting to wonder about this guy. Should set him up nicely for S2.

-The Renly/Ned conversation was as good as I pictured.

-Jorah and Dany both did great this episode, but for once I'll have to give Drogo the honor of the best character across the Sea. That speech had me fired up!

-The final scene was good, though probably one of the weaker endings for me. Again, this is probably just because I knew what was going to happen, and the acting/action was average. In comparison, I also knew about the crowning from last week, but the tension was built up so nicely and Harry Lloyd gave an amazing performance.

-I think I've pinpointed my biggest disappointment of the series...Aiden Gillen. His Littlefinger is simply flat and uninspired, and it pains me to say this because he's such a unique character in the books.

-Speaking of that, the scene where he's "training" Ros and the other whore was just kinda stupid.

Overall, probably a 7/10. One of the weakest episodes IMO, but there were still some great moments. I'm very much looking forward to all the stuff for next week:

-Tyrion, Bronn, and the mountain clans

-Jon's fight with the wight

-Syrio/Arya/the kingsguard

-Robb turning into a badass

Completely agree. Worst episode thus far. I'm not opposed to made up stuff in theory - I've liked a lot of it in other episodes - but here, the made up crap was universally bad. If D&D think Littlefinger is the kind of person to bare his soul to a couple of whores, then I think they've missed the boat on his character. Tywin scene also pretty much sucked balls.

NW liked the episode but also pointed to the sad fact that Gillen's probably the weakest cast member right now. It's not that he can't act; it's that he's made some poor choices in how to play the character. Littlefinger should act like a lighthearted charmer for whom everything is a joke. Instead, Gillen is playing him like a flat-voiced sociopath. The scary thing about Littlefinger should be his opacity - underneath the charming facade lies what? Instead, between D&D's obvious writing and Gillen's acting choices, there's not a lot of mystery there.

It's locked now, I know cause I just tried replying to it. Maybe they're just keeping it around for archival reasons?

True, true, I see its locked (although there are now 60 users there!) Oh well, they'll find their way here eventually.

I always love watching a scene where a woman is shoving her fingers up another woman's ass. I just think it was pretty stupid to have Littlefinger yelling some important character backstory over the groans. Come on, if you're going to distract us with sex, don't do it while also yelling important stuff at us. Separate the two!

Also, not impressed with Tywin's portrayal so far, and I even love the actor. So far he's come across as a crazy old man who likes to gut things. =\

Other than that, great episode. Is it just me or is Dany getting hotter and hotter?

I didn't watch anything early and just read the first couple of pages and the last page of the "early viewers" thread --

I guess I agree that the Littlefinger scene near the start was over the top for me and seemed put in primarily for HBO's sexploitation factor. At least the writers did manage to do a lot of great character development for Littlefinger during it, but personally I wish they'd found a way to do it with background visuals that weren't quite so graphic. But I think we can't expect anything else from HBO, and should just be grateful and amazed that the series as a whole has managed to be so wonderful in spite of that sexploitation pressure.

I thought the acting was marvelous. The friendship between Jon and Sam was extremely well portrayed. Ned's combination of honor and cluelessness was excellently shown. The scenes with Daenerys and Drogo were amazing. I really didn't think a whole hour had gone by when the episode ended, because it kept my attention so well.

In all, a marvelous piece of acting, direction, and production. :)

That thread's closed.

There were few "made up" scenes -- four to my count, Tywin-Jaime (which was very good, IMO), Littlefinger and Ros (mixed bag), the brief Jon and Sam scene on the Wall (seemed a little pointless, I admit, from my perspective, but non-readers may have needed it), and Osha and Theon (good scene).

Our recap, analysis, and chapter-by-chapter breakdown is up.

More comments:

What's with changing Pyp's story or meshing it with Dareon or whatever?

That heart tree face just looked stupid. I half expected a squirrel to jump out of its mouth.

I didn't really care that Robert was dying, and that scene was so emotional for me in the books with the love and trust between Robert and Ned. It was so detached. "I'm dying. "Oh, okay. Sucks, man. Lata."

I can't get past Osha being Tonks. Like someone on the early thread said, "I keep waiting for her hair to turn pink."

I'm officially sick of Roz. Go away. What a stupid, unnecessary scene.

Besides hitting us over the head with a metaphor, why was Tywin skinning a deer? Doesn't seem like something very lordly to do.

Yes, I'm complaining a lot, but I think it's legitimate. I LOOOOVED the last two episodes and this one just left me cold.

That being said, Drogo's speech = great. I think those are the most words I've ever heard come out of Jason Momoa's mouth at once.

Lots of talking about Stannis = good. Seeing Ghost = good. I'll watch it again and see what I think later but I wanted more.

Also, not impressed with Tywin's portrayal so far, and I even love the actor. So far he's come across as a crazy old man who likes to gut things. =\

This. Charles Dance's power on-screen is largely centered in his eyes--that cold, basilisk stare that just chills your blood, like staring into a shark's eyes. So, to have him gutting a stag (yup, I got the symbolism..), his back to Jaime while he talks instead of staring down Jaime face to face, well, its much less than it could have been.

Wow, surprised at the hate on the episode. I thought it was the best ep. to date.

From the previews for next week, looks like Joffrey will be dismissing Ser Barristan. They showed the other KG members drawing their swords and you can just see Selmy facing them. I hope they show the Goldcloaks trying to arrest him so he can deliver a beatdown. The non-readers need to see how baddass he is.

And looks like the Hound will finally have something to do as he appears to be arresting Sansa next week. Being a Sansa-hater, I'm a little disappointed she doesn't appear to have tipped Cersei off

edited: cause I can't type

Oh Ned, of all the people to trust, why LITTLEFINGER?! It was beyond frustrating watching this episode. I've read the books, so it's not like I didn't see it coming, but it was still painful to watch. Cersei warns him to back off, Renly spells Cersei's actions out to him in capital letters, LF even backs him up, and yet Ned still does nothing. :shocked:

An amazing episode though. Things are going down now. I'm curious to see how they'll handle Renly and Stannis now, or will that not be til Season 2?

Wow, surprised at the hate on the episode. I thought it was the best ep. to date.

Agreed, this was my absolute favorite episode so far. The only qualm I had about it was Littlefinger's scene in the brothel which felt absolutely unnecessary. But other than that, so much better than all the rest, IMO.

I think this was my least favorite episode so far. Still good, but underwhelming. It is a shame as this is probably the most signficant episode of the first season for shaping the series.

The early scenes (Tywin and Littlefinger) were way too long and these are two of my favorite characters.

The wall stuff was great and well done.

The Dothraki stuff was great with the exception of the poisoning itself. It seemed to miss the mark.

MarK Addy, you did great honor to Robert. You will be missed.

Archived