[BOOK/TV SPOILERS]Television Without Pity nOObs Thread

iheartseverus

I'm sorry but do these people forget that the show it's a FANTASY series ? I really don't care for them or their opinions on how the show should go on it's not like they represent the whole community of non book readers . If I want to watch a non book reader's opinion i'd watch OtakuAssemble's videos , they are way more entertaining than this whole board of people .

Agree, I'm quite sick of defeding the show for its fantasy elements.. It's based on the best fantasy series of our time, and if they don't like that, they can watch Mad Men or whatever.

Agree, I'm quite sick of defeding the show for its fantasy elements.. It's based on the best fantasy series of our time, and if they don't like that, they can watch Mad Men or whatever.

Please read the first post in this thread.

And I find that kind of response incredibly arrogant.

It's not a question of fantasy elements - it's a question of good fantasy elements vs. bad fantasy elements. That is, are these fantasy elements with internally consistent rules, and human actors who behave in believable ways within those rules? Do the characters have agency, or do they react based on plot necessity? Defending the fantasy elements just because it's fantasy is a poor argument. The whole appeal to ASOIAF to me is that the characters live wholly inside the rules of this world, and deal realistically with the natural consequences of of those rules. If they didn't, it would be just another schlock sword and sorcery story, and I wouldn't be on these boards. And, most likely, neither would you.

What makes the shadowbaby work in the book was the realization that each time it was conjured, it was slowly killing Stannis in the process. There was a real price to be paid each time it was used, which means Melisandre had to be judicious and strategic in her target selection; she couldn't just magic up victory for her side. I already had this background knowledge watching the show, so it didn't occur to me until I read the thread; the more I thought about it, the more I realized they're 100% right in objecting to it.

That said, we've only just seen the shadowbaby in action; I really hope they explain (or, better yet, show) what effect it has on Stannis in the next few episodes. I feel like it has to occur - everything has been too good to come apart now.

Also, dude, when your Deity drowned, you might wish to pick a more compentent god. Or at least a stronger swimmer, you bunch of sailors. Sheesh.

Okay I'm weird and like the Greyjoys, but I still found this hilarious.

Just read this and started laughing so hard:

Speaking of Dragonstone people, what happened to The Only Black Guy In Westeros from a few episodes ago? I was so shocked to see him that I didn't register what he was supposed to be doing (other than wanting to fuck Cersei, in what was one of the show's more random asides), and I haven't heard a peep about him since.

Genius.

EDIT: And this one.

OK, d'Oh, what does "Saladshooter Sam" mean? I have visions of him ejecting watercress from his nether regions, sort of like a vegan Melisandre.

HAHAHA!

Agh, just fell asleep at the mention of Mad Men.

Agh, just fell asleep at the mention of Mad Men.

Lol, this show is so boring I have no idea how anyone can stand watching it . I know this may seem bias because i like a fantasy show but in fact dramas and especially period dramas are my favorite genre in tv shows and i like Boardwalk Empire and Downtown Abbey, but I never understood what's the big deal about Mad Men, the characters seem boring , the plot is boring and the only actor i like there is Vincent Kartheiser but he's not enough to make me keep watching . It's a mystery to me how this show has won the emmys for 4 years in a row .

"The only disappointment so far has been Storm's End (the Baratheon "capital", apparently just a camping ground)"

Haha, didn't realize it, but I guess they did say Renly was at Storm's End?

No, they said Stormlands not Storm's End . I don't remember the show saying that Renly was at Storm's End.

Please read the first post in this thread.

What? I'm talking in general, not just about the TWP people, and I'm not even talking badly about them...Jesus :rolleyes:

And I find that kind of response incredibly arrogant.

You have the right to find it arrogant, but it isn't. It's like somebody started watching True Blood and complained about the abundance of vampires and werewolves and witches.

What makes the shadowbaby work in the book was the realization that each time it was conjured, it was slowly killing Stannis in the process.

Yes, but we didn't know that either, back when we read the book. That revelation happens much much later. So, I don't see how it would make the Shadowbaby "work", when you're reading the scene.

...and I summon iheartseverus to chastise you folks again.

This is bordering on speculating whether or not a TWoPer is a book walker or not, which is expressly forbidden in the OP. let's keep the discussion positive.

Yea , I have a feeling that guy is a book reader undercover . Oh wait, i forgot i'm not supposed to say anything suspicious about that board , my bad !

The Unsullied are permitted (and some do) read the HBO character layout, which lists the various characters and their Houses, seats of power, etc.

[mod] OK, this thread has gone way past it's normal 400-post count. I'm closing this one. Feel free to start a new one. The OP should probably clearly state the rules of this thread, so everyone is clear about is and isn't allowed. Thanks. [/mod]

Archived