#1 Werthead

Werthead

Social Justice Robot from the Future

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,087 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Interesting.

Slightly spoilerific as well, though nothing major. General vibe is positive, but the reviewer states that it has the same 'feel' as Feast for Crows (exactly what that means I'm not sure, as the reviewer also indicates the book has more plot movement and developments than AFFC).

The biggest weakness of the book - one we already knew about - is that apparently it leaves things set up nicely for Book 6, and of course we have to endure a multi-year wait for that volume.

#2 Cocomaan

Cocomaan

The Vagrant

• Members
  • 25,367 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for posting, Wert.

#3 Renasko

Renasko

Council Member

• Members
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

General vibe is positive, but the reviewer states that it has the same 'feel' as Feast for Crows

Oh Christ. That's not good. /unsure.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' /> Thanks for posting anyway, Wert.

ETA: The review basically is stating that fans won't find what the series is renown and well-liked for.

Edited by Jhogo, 03 June 2011 - 12:16 PM.

#4 Kaitscralt

Kaitscralt

Those are the times.

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:15 PM

Here is the blurb for people who don't want to click the link:

Spoiler

#5 Loras

Loras

Council Member

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

This comes across as a good review for the book. Though I think that this book will receive strong criticism from the readership due to extremely high expectations because of the wait. I'm expecting a book similar to AFFC... which for me is the strongest book in the series - in terms of character development.

Notice too that the reviewer claims that disillusioned fans will be caught up in the book - that suggests to me that while the book is not action driven, that it is still a very good book.

#6 Social Justice Bass

Social Justice Bass

Aquatic Social Justice Warrior

• Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

I wouldn't call that a small Tyrion spoiler.

Spoiler

#7 Basileus777

Basileus777

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

Maybe it happens early in the book, but that review does reveal one thing about a major character that's more than slightly spoilerific.

Spoiler

Edited by Basileus777, 03 June 2011 - 12:33 PM.

#8 Joy Lannister

Joy Lannister

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

Having the same feel as aFfC is definitely not good. Also

Spoiler

After so many years, I don't want a book that hints that action will come, I want the action now.

Then again, I await the book with as much anticipation as fear, so I'm probably overreacting.

Spoiler

The review sounds as if the book will be the same as aFfC, only with more popular characters - nothing happening until the end.

Now I'm thinking that maybe it's not a good idea to read those reviews if i'm going to freak out so much from a review that doesn't even sound negative enough to justify me freaking out.

Edited by Joy Lannister, 03 June 2011 - 12:54 PM.

#9 Loras

Loras

Council Member

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:32 PM

states that it has the same 'feel' as Feast for Crows (exactly what that means I'm not sure, as the reviewer also indicates the book has more plot movement and developments than AFFC).

I think that this is in reference to 'slow trudges through war-torn Westeros'.

#10 Wouter

Wouter

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

Interesting, thanks for posting Werthead.

One particularly surprising development (warning: pretty major spoiler for Dance):
Spoiler

Somewhat surprising for me:
Spoiler

#11 Social Justice Bass

Social Justice Bass

Aquatic Social Justice Warrior

• Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

Spoiler

#12 Wouter

Wouter

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

Oh Christ. That's not good. /unsure.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' /> Thanks for posting anyway, Wert.

ETA: The review basically is stating that fans won't find what the series is renown and well-liked for.

Not quite, it is stating the feel of the book is quite close to AFFC. That is only a bad thing if you disliked AFFC, which part of the fandom does but not everyone by any means. Also, the return of Jon, Dany and Tyrion alone will change things even for some who disliked AFFC - since quite a few dislike it mostly because those 3 weren't in it to start with!

I think "Dance" will be a great book as usual, if not entirely to the liking of people who really dislike the slower pace from "Feast".

#13 sammycakes

sammycakes

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

I think that this is in reference to 'slow trudges through war-torn Westeros'.

As well as a general lack of huge set-piece battles and dramatic bloodshed, a la the Battle of Blackwater and the Red Wedding. I'm fine with that. Not so fine with 2/3rds of the book being filled with characters I don't care about doing little of interest.

#14 Kaitscralt

Kaitscralt

Those are the times.

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

Spoiler

This has so many potential applications. Does the reviewer simply mean that more living characters come back on screen (Theon, etc) or is it referencing the wights of the Others?

Or, even better, could it be UnGregor... or my fanboy wish of UnCat breathing life back into someone? Robb?

#15 corrupted disciple

corrupted disciple

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

I don't want it to Be like feast =/

#16 Joy Lannister

Joy Lannister

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

Why do you mark spoilers? If someone hasn't read the review because they don't want to be spoiled, they won't read the comments about the review either o.O

#17 Renasko

Renasko

Council Member

• Members
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:43 PM

38 days, folks. Expect more of these. As Joy said, may be best not reading reviews.

ETA: Any chance of the countdown on George's site being added to the board, mods?

Edited by Jhogo, 03 June 2011 - 12:43 PM.

#18 Wouter

Wouter

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:43 PM

I wouldn't call that a small Tyrion spoiler.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#19 BarrileteCosmico

BarrileteCosmico

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

Well if there's one thing that review has accomplished is to decrease my expectations tremendously.

#20 Kaitscralt

Kaitscralt

Those are the times.

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

Why do you mark spoilers? If someone hasn't read the review because they don't want to be spoiled, they won't read the comments about the review either o.O

Because they might be interested in non-spoiler comments about it, such as the OP's. Putting something in spoiler tags takes just a second, no reason not to do it. Everyone will look at this thread (whether they are reading the review or not) and now they won't have to see something they might have otherwise.