Wiki Traffic

Linda

We use Google Analytics to track the performance of the site. Or rather, we used to use Google Analytics to track the performance of asoiaf.westeros.org and www.westeros.org, but not awoiaf.westeros.org. I sort of assumed the traffic was a lot less...

Anyway, I decided to go ahead and get the wiki tracked as well. So far, results are limited, but for the period of June 1st to June 4th, the wiki is getting _more_ traffic than the forum. A huge amount of hits on character pages.

So, it clearly deserves a lot more attention than it has gotten so far. Precisely what we need to focus on and how to do it, I don't yet know, but its definitely a very, very popular resource.

This is great to hear Linda. It gives us extra motivation to continue working on the wiki.

I would like to do more on the design on the wiki, more images and different background and so. Ran told that you wanted to do the background. How is that going? Do you need help?

So far, we haven't had any time at all to look at how the wiki skin works, but maybe we can poke at it a little today. Basically, right now I don't know at all what can be done. There seems to be a complete lack of good skinning resources that explain how to do it with the Vector skin.

I would imagine so, yes. But its very different from the webpages I am used to doing, so its a lot of trying to understand how the page is put together.

• 2 weeks later...

Not very surprising with the huge number of HBO people watching the show without having read the books....they must be struggling to keep up with the huge cast. I bet the numbers were different before the show started.

• 1 month later...

I would imagine so, yes. But its very different from the webpages I am used to doing, so its a lot of trying to understand how the page is put together.

I have read a number of websites about this and I think I have a general idea how it works. I have tried it out onmy personal skin: as background a map of Westeros, using monofont corsiva for headings and a few changes in the side bar.

But now the question is what to design?

I like the main page of the Tolkien gateway wiki. I would like to try something like that but I think it should include some kind of symbols of A Song of Ice and Fire,dragons maybe but the image has to be one we are allowed to use (preferably under the GNU licence) and it should fit in the top bar and / or side bar.

Anybody ideas?

I'm not really surprised. If I was looking for structured and reliable information about ASOIAF I would go to the Wiki. Especially as a viewer of the TV series without being a reader of the books the Wiki would seem to be the common sense place to go.

Great news though. It's a good resource. Well done to the dedicated folk who contribute their valuable time and effort to making it what it is, and are dedicated to its continued development.

IPB Wiki bridge still broken in some ways, so we're not able to give out all the permissions (even to ourselves) to carry out some design things. Once that gets sorted, Linda and I will be sorting out the skin to keep it in the same style as the rest of Westeros.org, and I guess once we have that broader template set down, we will be able to call for assistance in just styling particular wiki elements (like info boxes) in a way that matches up well. :)

IPB Wiki bridge still broken in some ways, so we're not able to give out all the permissions (even to ourselves) to carry out some design things. Once that gets sorted, Linda and I will be sorting out the skin to keep it in the same style as the rest of Westeros.org, and I guess once we have that broader template set down, we will be able to call for assistance in just styling particular wiki elements (like info boxes) in a way that matches up well. :)

I know that (the ipb-wiki-bridge-problem) but I thought the other problem was that you re unfamiliar with skin/css on Wiki's. I may be able to help with the latter part. Not that I am anywhere near to an expert but I managed to do some things on my personal css and I (now) know where to look for information how the css is coded. So let me know if I can help.

a new layout/design would be nice but your wiki need much more work than that, at the moment the only reason it's so popular is because its domain gets it to the top of the search in google. the problem with it that while it's more informative than most it's just not user friendly(it's google search friendly).

for example, you dont even have a characters page, only 2 links to categories! called characters and POV characters. first, the average user dont know what POV means and in any case the character link is closer to the center, so someone looking for jon snow, will probablyfind him self looking at this:

Category:Characters by affiliation

Category:Characters by region

Category:Characters by status

Category:POV characters

his first thought would be WTF?! if it's a new to the saga he will have another WTF for each cat' and wonder if the POV is a sex thing or something, probably click some category, get another category... get confused, say fuck you and go somewhere else.

at the very least you should have a single page that have a list of POV chars(with explanation for idiots what it is) and the rest, with a simplified category tree for browsing and short explanations, the most popular characters that most identify with(and will be most thought after) should be set apart and preferably with some visual thumb(for easier identification).

EDIT:

on second thought, just click the link to the french wiki on your main page. I dont know french and google translate was unable to do its magic but it looks like they have many things right.

first, the average user dont know what POV means and in any case the character link is closer to the center, so someone looking for jon snow, will probablyfind him self looking at this:

Category:Characters by affiliation

Category:Characters by region

Category:Characters by status

Category:POV characters

his first thought would be WTF?! if it's a new to the saga he will have another WTF for each cat' and wonder if the POV is a sex thing or something, probably click some category, get another category... get confused, say fuck you and go somewhere else.

at the very least you should have a single page that have a list of POV chars(with explanation for idiots what it is) and the rest, with a simplified category tree for browsing and short explanations, the most popular characters that most identify with(and will be most thought after) should be set apart and preferably with some visual thumb(for easier identification).

I think the term POV was copied from Wikipedia. So I guess it is used before. But how would you call the "characters-that-have-their-own-chapters-and-who's-thoughts-the-reader-can-follow"?

I never had any problem with that, you missed the point completelly.

@Scafloc, I believe that the french example is good enough: "This section presents the different characters point of view (POV for "point of view" in VO novels)", you dont need more than.

It's important to remember that 3500 articles mean nothing, unless the information is organized and presented to the user in an intuitive, self explanatory way, that means they should be able to "get it" without thinking ;)

Linda and I will be sorting out the skin to keep it in the same style as the rest of Westeros.org, and I guess once we have that broader template set down, we will be able to call for assistance in just styling particular wiki elements (like info boxes) in a way that matches up well. :)

same style, means same colors? because i am try to add color to some of the elements, keeping the reddish background and failing miserably... i guess it's wiki is less structured than a forum and dont have all those color brakes for contrast. Anyway, I'll really appreciate what new(if any) background color you have picked.

Archived