[Book Spoilers] EP108 Discussion

Ran

because he wants tywin to think he's dumb and rushing south to fight him. i thought it was great.

I wish that Rob would have explained to everyone why he made the move and the scout will go and report to Tywin that the North is coming, while they will instead go and attack Jaime. It would have made the tactic look like the genius that it is to the normal audience, they will forget the finer details by next week when Rob crushes Jaime.

Yeah, I didn't get that at all, and the GreatJohn, his mom, and all the others present didn't get it either. They were all shocked and even disgusted with the decision. I hope that is it and they will elaborate on it next time.

Rickon looked as old as Bran... worst character cast so far, but thats minor.

Not really. He looked like he was 6 and that's fine since the show aged him up just like the other children. Even George would have aged them up if he could retcon the whole thing.

Yeah, I didn't get that at all, and the GreatJohn, his mom, and all the others present didn't get it either. They were all shocked and even disgusted with the decision. I hope that is it and they will elaborate on it next time.

He didn't even make the decision of what to do yet, from everyone else's perspective, so yeah, it would have been better for him to say, "I'll strike at the Kingslayer" and then have the spy brought in and do the whole "Tell Tywin" deal.

Loved it.

So much ground was covered. I hope the non readers can keep up.

My only gripe (nitpick) is that Ned looked too good when the guard kicked him. I mean really, he has been in the cell for weeks. At least his beard should have grown.

He didn't even make the decision of what to do yet, from everyone else's perspective, so yeah, it would have been better for him to say, "I'll strike at the Kingslayer" and then have the spy brought in and do the whole "Tell Tywin" deal.

I think on screen, the spy is what decides him to split forces and attack Jaime while Roose feints at Tywin.

this episode just flat out owned. i don't know what else to say except everything was amazing. i literally didn't have a chance to take a breathe until the credits rolled. probably the greatest thing i've ever seen.

Watch the scene with Ghost with the sound muted and you will know why they could NOT make Ghost silent. The added growling is critical to understanding the dog's acting. Without it, the mutt just looks like he needs to pee.

I hope in the next episode they send the Goldcloaks after Selmy. They did have Slynt give Selmy a smug look.

For some reason, I hope something bad happens to Nameless Pompous Herald. He seriously annoys me. Perhaps he joins the Lannisters as they see Myrcella off. :devil:

Little touches: Bronn strutting while walking through the Lannister camp and Bronn son of "you wouldn't know him" Ah, GRRM humor! Tyrion looked quite apprehensive as he was about to see his father. I hope Cersei looks the same so we can have 3 for 3.

Watch the scene with Ghost with the sound muted and you will know why they could NOT make Ghost silent. The added growling is critical to understanding the dog's acting. Without it, the mutt just looks like he needs to pee.

Yeah, I'm fine with Ghost not being the strong, silent type.

I liked this episode a ton, but there still needs to be some senseless nitpicking.

1) Barristan not mentioning Stannis. Yeah, I wanted to hear it. Oh well.

2) The first 15 minutes of the episode seemed very weirdly paced, with potentially confusing fight scenes between random people (for non-reader) scenes lasting just a second, and Arya's stabbing scene was very quickly done. The wight scene was also rushed and they never clearly explained it was the corpse come to life.

Luckily the pacing fixed itself once Robb got going.

3) Varys' outfit when he visits the dungeons.

--

Bring on the beheading! :(

Damn, Robb really came into his own this episode. He was one of the stand-outs for me. I've felt the actor's protrayal of Robb has been underappreciated, but today he finally got to become a total bad-ass. I liked every scene with him and especially the little details of his interactions with Maester Luwin and Rodrick.

I actually didn't like that every word was straight from the book. I'm a fan of the parts where I don't know who's about to say what. This wasn't my favorite episode and I thought the ending was weak, but I think that was the director's doing rather than GRRM.

My only major gripe is that the wights eyes weren't blue enough so he didn't seem as spooky as the little girl in the prologue scene. Also, thank god there wasn't another awkward uncomfortable sex scene.

And I am loving me some Varys!

I'd also add this episode shows why maybe it isn't such a bad idea to not always have the direwolves present as much as happened in the book. It would be pretty damn repetitive if we had gotten to the end of this episode and had Dog saves the day scene number 5 and 6.

Great episode. I figured by now the boards would be lit up with Syrio's "Not today" comment coupled with Varys' "not today" to Ned.....

No wasted words, wish GRRM was writing all the episodes. He does like to play with us.

Holy crap....they have to kill Drogo, kill Ned and birth dragons in two episodes which all seem to only last 10 minutes...going to be two mind blowing hours.

Archived