Here are some more thoughts I had:
1. Anyone else notice that the poems Sim made for Fela that got her to finally notice him were full of seven-word lines? They can be found in WMFc28 and WMFc33.
2. How does Kvothe create the wave that knocks Denna over in WMFc148? I didn’t think he had a power source strong enough to do it with sympathy. Was it naming? If so, why didn’t he tell Elodin about it when he told him he called the wind again?
3. In NotWc88, Kvothe says, "Underneath the University, I found what I had wanted most, yet it was not what I expected. As is often the case when you gain your heart’s desire." Could he be talking about what he tricked a demon to get and fought an angel to keep?
4. In WMFc9, Fall of Empire
is attributed to Feltemi Reis. In WMFc39, The Fall of Empire
is attributed to Greggor the Lesser. Either Fall of Empire
and The Fall of Empire
are two different books, this is an editing mistake, or the book fell victim to people changing what the history books say. I think it’s probably an editing mistake.
5. Twice in NotW, Denna references Kvothe's first seven words to her, but both times she misquotes them. Kvothe said, "I was wondering what you're doing here." She quotes him as saying, "I was just wondering why you're here." I'm guessing this is an editing mistake.
6. It seems like everyone considers Skarpi's story to be 100% true. But after the first day of the story, Skarpi tells Kvothe that you "have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way. Too much truth confuses the facts. Too much honesty makes you sound insincere." Also, when Chronicler mentions Skarpi, Kvothe calls him a rumormonger. To me this suggests that something happens in the third book to lower Kvothe's opinion of Skarpi and/or his stories.
7. In Kvothe's story about Sceop, Terris' name may come from terra for earth and Silla's name may come from an Inuit deity
of the sky, wind, and weather.
8. Taborlin's name may be related to the Tabor Light
9. "Tehlu's tits and teeth" is an exp
ression used in WMF. All the other religious exp
ressions have an understandable origin, but I don’t know where this one comes from.
10. Except for a white shift in chapter 148, blue is the only color Denna is mentioned as wearing once she finishes her Lanre song. Maybe blue (or blue and white) are important to her patron.
Edited to add the following
The following is mostly speculation. At most there is little evidence to support any of this. I don't believe everything that follows. As such, I will not try hard (if at all) to defend these ideas.
11. I think Wil and Sim are both dead. It doesn't seem right that they'd be alive. Also, in WMFc36, Kvothe goes out drinking with them and says that because he wasn't drinking sounten and actually got drunk, much of the evening is lost to living memory. The most simple and probable explanation for it being lost to living memory is that they were all drunk (which they were). But he really can’t be sure that it's lost to living memory unless they're dead.
12. I know many people are fixated with Auri and being like the moon or saying she is the moon. But instead, she may be like the nightjars from the story of Jax. Nightjars are closely related to owls. Bredon is often said to resemble an owl. Maybe Auri is related to Bredon. Maybe she is his daughter. Maybe he is Amyr (someone earlier guessed
that he could be the stick by the Maer that leads Kvothe to their door). Maybe that's how she knows about them. Also, in NotWc87 she talks about how owls are careful, patient, and not bold. While Bredon says the point of tak is to be bold, and I get the feeling that's also an ideal he lives by.
13. Many people think Auri is Princess Ariel. Maybe instead she is Tabetha, the girl who claimed that Ambrose promised to marry her and then disappeared. Maybe Ambrose hired someone to attack her, which caused her mind to crack. In WMFc24 she instantly understood that Kvothe wanted to avoid dowsing and knew how to do it, like she was experienced at it and still did it. Perhaps she's still hiding from Ambrose's thug.
14. During Kvothe's first admissions exam Lorren said he was going to go to Tarbean. This would have been just about the earliest word could have reached him that Skarpi was arrested for heresy. Maybe Lorren was Skarpi's friend in the church who could get him out. The church is powerful and it makes sense that they'd want someone in a position to censor information at the University's Archives.
15. Lorren doesn't show emotion. Maybe he is from Ademre.
16. The Cthaeh said that Denna's patron beat her with a walking stick for the first time recently. If Cinder is her patron, he might have had a walking stick on hand because he actually needed one after Marten shot him in the leg. The wording is such that just having the walking stick could have been new.
17. Iax spoke to the Cthaeh before stealing the moon. It seems that the moon was stolen not long after the Faen realm was created. It seems likely to me that the Cthaeh existed before the Faen realm did (Felurian did). If that's true then even though it may be stuck in its tree now, that wouldn't always have been the case.
18. Bast says that the Cthaeh perfectly sees every future. But how can anybody other than the Cthaeh know if this is true? If it was true, couldn't the Cthaeh have manipulated events so nobody knew it was evil? Bast also says that the Cthaeh is malicious. But if it had to choose between causing evil to the world or evil to the one who visited it, which would it choose? Could things turn out bad for the world but good for Kvothe (or the other way around)? Also, how can anyone other than the Cthaeh truly know what its intentions are? We can observe what happens after talking to the Cthaeh, but we cannot observe what didn't happen. Perhaps its agenda isn't to cause pain, but it doesn't care who gets hurt. Or perhaps its agenda is the greater good, but much evil must be done first (though I would be INCREDIBLY surprised if it turned out to be Amyr).
19. Maybe Geoffrey and Denna are brother and sister. Their relationship is clearly different from the ones Denna has with other men. Also, they both have wide, dark eyes and dark hair.
20. Kvothe's ring without name could be for the moon since its name was locked away.
21. Kvothe's ring of ice with a flaw within could actually be a ring of glass with an air bubble inside it. I don’t really have a reason for thinking this except that the Kvothe stories are often full of errors. I can see ice being important if he ends up fighting Cinder. But glass (especially mirror-glass) also seems important.
22. Taborlin was an enemy of the Chandrian and was also really powerful. But it doesn't seem like he succeeded in killing any of them (unless he took the place of one that he killed).
23. Maybe the items from the Lackless rhymes were split up among the various Lockless families.
24. Sceop had white hair and a walking stick, just like Denna's patron. Maybe he is her patron. I doubt this though, unless Kvothe never found out who her patron was, because I think Sceop = Skarpi and I would think Kvothe's reaction to Chronicler mentioning Skarpi would be more negative if he were Denna's patron.
25. I want Crazy Martin (from Newarre) to turn out to be someone important from Kvothe's past. His name is similar to Marten's (who sort of lost it when Kvothe started killing bandits).
26. For the people that think Denna is a Chandrian. In WMFc140, Kvothe says that a city feels different with Denna inside it. Maybe that's her sign manifesting itself.
27. The Chandrian have signs. Maybe Angels and/or Amyr also have signs. If they do it seems very possible that they'd be mistaken for Chandrian signs since they show up in places the Chandrian have just been.
28. Stercus is in thrall of iron. As has already been said, Ferule's name is like a combination of the runes for iron and binding. Maybe Stercus is Ferule's thrall.
Edited by jumbles, 25 July 2011 - 01:04 PM.