The Long Price Quartet

A Time for Wolves

I have a feeling that the Long Price books hinge more than most on an identification factor, in a total opposite way from, say, Prince of Nothing. I know I love the way they captured what I did (and still do) feel about some life experiences, and damn, that part in the last book was so... true, it actually made me cry.

I mean, the plot is good, but the actual resonance between what's in it and what the reader feels adds definitely something compared to other good books. Mileage will vary but I think Daniel is great at evocation, amply making up for the slow pace or the slightly bland-ish feeling some parts have.

I'd have to agree on this as a general series summary. I went back and forth several times on whether I liked the series much or would recommend it to friends. The pace drags a great deal and the overall work is bland in many parts, but the resonance and evocation of the emotions make the books very real, and puts them several steps above what they would be otherwise. It's a solid series, but it's missing a better pacing and a little more spice to be truly elite. It's not hard to see why it has had publishing issues.

Personally I found the second book the best of the four, just due to a lack of the pacing issues that are prevalent in the other three. He managed to make a book about a war fairly boring in book three, though the andat twist at the end made up for a bit of that. The fourth book was a very nice conclusion with a very nice ending though.

I'd have to agree on this as a general series summary. I went back and forth several times on whether I liked the series much or would recommend it to friends. The pace drags a great deal and the overall work is bland in many parts, but the resonance and evocation of the emotions make the books very real, and puts them several steps above what they would be otherwise. It's a solid series, but it's missing a better pacing and a little more spice to be truly elite. It's not hard to see why it has had publishing issues.

Personally I found the second book the best of the four, just due to a lack of the pacing issues that are prevalent in the other three. He managed to make a book about a war fairly boring in book three, though the andat twist at the end made up for a bit of that. The fourth book was a very nice conclusion with a very nice ending though.

I think part of what I didn't like about book 2 was that there was all of this scheming, but it was all made totally visible to the reader the entire time rather than being hidden and revealed at good moments.

I just finished book 3. I thought it was vastly better than the first two in just about every way. I have book 4 on hold at the library now. I'm hoping it arrives by Saturday.

It's kind of exciting looking forward to book 4 because I have just about no idea which way the story is going to go. I've sort of had it spoiled that there's some heartbreaking stuff, but by the end of book 3 I think that's to be expected.

If you're expecting it, I can almost guarantee you're going to be disappointed. There's something in the human mind that, when it's been told, Oh, Man! This is going to be terrific! our imaginations go into overdrive and anything that happens in reality is somewhat anticlimactic. That's the main reason I almost hate to read the Literature forum - I find the less I know about a book I'm about to read, the better.

It may or may not touch you. It depends a lot on your outlook on life. I'll say more once you've read "The Price of Spring."

FWIW, the first omnibus edition is out. http://www.amazon.co...32902095&sr=8-3

Awwww....but if you go the omnibus route then you miss out on two of what I think are some of the best covers in fantasy.

EDIT: Looking at the series more closely (I have only read the first book) I realize I owned what I thought was the second book, Autumn something, and it is actually the third book. Couldn't you have followed the seasons chronologically? :cool4:

Couldn't you have followed the seasons chronologically? :cool4:
If I recall, the plan was not to put a season in every title at the start.

But I realize the author is reading the thread, so in retrospect it was unnecessary for me to post. Too late...

The Long Price Quartet is one of my favorite series. I just wish the publisher would do another printing of The Price of Spring so I can complete my hardcover collection. I don't like the idea of having part of a series in physical form and part in an e-book.

The Long Price Quartet is one of my favorite series. I just wish the publisher would do another printing of The Price of Spring so I can complete my hardcover collection. I don't like the idea of having part of a series in physical form and part in an e-book.

Amazon has a bunch.

Amazon has a bunch.

I guess I forgot to mention, I want a new copy and I'm not willing to pay between $200 - $900 for one of the three new copies on Amazon.

I started Shadow and Betrayal yesterday, really liking it so far.

At first, I found the posing somewhat jarring. But when I realised that it wasn't poor writing, but some form of body language, that was fine.

Still, can't help but think of this...

http://whiiite.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/madonna-vs-duck-sauce-barbra-streisand-strikes-a-pose-vogue-robin-skouteris-mix/

I was lucky and managed to get The Price of Spring for hardcover for around 30 pounds. However i have all the other three as paperbacks which kinda annoys me.

Finished the first book yesterday. I thought it was okay, the story being not overly exciting but not being a quick reader at all (mostly into audiobooks due to time reasons), I consider it a small miracle that I actually finished the book in five days :-)

I did not have any problems with the poses at all. I just thought it was the peoples way to speak, like Italians tend to speak supporting their words with their hands a lot. So when in Rome... :-)

Abrahams writing I was overly excited about - it's totally different than GRRMs classy, kind of medieval-ish language, Abrahams being rather contemporary (at least in the German translation). But as I stated before, it ready astoundingly quick... the world itself feels rather bland compared to ASOIAF, and the number of characters is pretty small, but I already ordered the second book. So something must be right about it...

Rather bland compared to Westeros...uh ok...to each his own i guess. I found Daniel's world much more enticing in that it has its own flavour (which i appreciate) compared to Martin's much more "mix of usual suspects" aka mirror to medieval europe with slight twists.

Anyway, back to topic: Finished the third book yesterday...oh my...that was harsh :eek: . What an emotional impact...and i found it brilliant. Although after reading the synopsis for the last book i kind of fear what will happen :crying:

If that is not what any writer tries to awaken in his readers...i don't know :bowdown: :D

Now i am off to start Price of Spring... ;)

my kindle tells me that i am just past the half way point of the first book and i am really enjoying it so far. i am another who has no problem with the poses. to me, it adds a touch of embellishment to the culture and i dig stuff like that. i just finished reading wise man's fear before this and the hand language of the adem is very similar so maybe that prepared me for it :dunno:

i'll certainly be continuing on after the first book.

Archived