Scifi & Fantasy books getting the "Game of Thrones treatment"

BlackCompanyGuy

Couldn't stand "Rivers of London," but as a TV series would rely far less on the main character's inner monologue and would probably contain the same amount of sheer awesome London-ness, I'd be all over that. (As long as they at least tried to be true to the main character's background.)

Hmm. "Couldn't stand" is a strong term. I should say more like, "did not enjoy as much as I'd desperately wanted to based on buzz." I'm still curious enough to read the second in the series, if not quite buy it.

I liked both of them, but I suspect that if you weren't keen on the first book then the second book (which I didn't think was quite as good) is unlikely to change your opinion.

I liked both of them, but I suspect that if you weren't keen on the first book then the second book (which I didn't think was quite as good) is unlikely to change your opinion.

To be honest, I think I'll still wind up reading (possibly via the cheaper ebook version) Moon Over Soho, at least. Since I know what's what and there's no weight of expectation. Looking back, while I wasn't gripped, I didn't mind the plot, and I liked the setting, background info and secondary characters -- and I loved the cultural notes -- it was just that by mid-book I wanted to aggressively flick the narrator between the eyes with my thumb and forefinger a lot. Around the time he expressed the desire to go "blub blub blub" or something in some woman's breasts, I was this near to hollering out loud, "Oh my god you are so not mature enough to protect and serve anybody!" (Which I've never felt the need to shout at Harry Dresden, even at the nadir of his boobies-obsession.) I guess it's just narrative voice?

Archived