Exercise & Fitness

Greywolf2375

15 miles yesterday in 2 hours 30 mins. Major elevation gain on miles 3 thru 8 then all downhill on the way back. Today, hip flexor discomfort. I've been stretching it out and hope tomorrow's run goes OK. I'm only planning to run Tuesday (4 miles) and Wednesday (8 miles) skip Thursday and rest Friday. Ruckus on Saturday and 16 miles on Sunday morning. Man, I feel sore. I really need to dial back my pace on these long training runs.

I hate running on a treadmill! For whatever reason, I just can't run longer than about 2 miles. It's totally a mental thing, I know.

Anyway, I'll be glad once it stops "feeling like" over 100 and I can start running outside again!

You should try some HIT on the tread mill

run your first mile, and on the second+ miles run at around 50/60% for 45seconds and crank that shit up to as fast as you can go for 10-15 seconds. Do this for around 5-10 mins.

Makes it more interesting.

first day of this fall's starting strength last night. kept the weights low and will work up over two weeks to my previous heavy loads. Did great on pullups at the end of the workout, 12, 10 and 7. I'm going to have to get a weighted vest or belt before long, any recommendations?

I've foolishly signed up for the 100m in the 35-39 year class in the national masters track and field championship the coming weekend, despite not having done any running training since more than a year, due to a chronic Achilles injury. I'll see how far I can get with nothing but weightlifting training.

I did a short track workout today, just to see how it felt. My sprinting technique has suffered a lot from the lack of training, but the speed and explosiveness didn't seem too bad. The Achilles tendon hurts, as expected, but I think it will hold up for a single meet. A worse problem is the knee on the other leg, which feels a little wobbly after I hurt it when I tried a long jump a couple of weeks ago (just in order to settle a stupid bet).

Of course, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Oof, a lot of things that aren't usually sore are sore today. The cleans were fun, but I was only doing 65 lbs so I felt like a bit of a bitch, especially because the press portion was way hard for me. Them + front squats right after had my shaking like a leaf. I guess that means I need to eat more beforehand or something?

I hate running on a treadmill! For whatever reason, I just can't run longer than about 2 miles. It's totally a mental thing, I know.

Anyway, I'll be glad once it stops "feeling like" over 100 and I can start running outside again!

I'm the complete opposite. Running outside is like pulling teeth and I have no problem running on a treadmill. I have made the big decision to sign up for and run my first 5K since high school. It is in October and is zombie themed. You register as either a zombie or a human and the humans get a two minute head start. Should be fun, but I really need to get used to running outside.

I'm the complete opposite. Running outside is like pulling teeth and I have no problem running on a treadmill. I have made the big decision to sign up for and run my first 5K since high school. It is in October and is zombie themed. You register as either a zombie or a human and the humans get a two minute head start. Should be fun, but I really need to get used to running outside.

That sounds like a blast, N. Good luck with the training.

ohmygodthatisthemostamazingideaEVAH! :wideeyed:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:leaving: :bawl:

You should try some HIT on the tread mill

run your first mile, and on the second+ miles run at around 50/60% for 45seconds and crank that shit up to as fast as you can go for 10-15 seconds. Do this for around 5-10 mins.

Makes it more interesting.

Yeah, I do that to mix it up. I really really hate intervals (lest I sound like I hate everything--I really do love to run, outside medium distances), but it is a good workout and usually actually goes better on the treadmill because I totally fucking cheat when I do intervals outside, unless it's on a track.

That sounds awesomely fun! Good luck and enjoy!

God I hate treadmills. So very much. Cannot run on them, it slows me way down, my brain just can't get past staring at the same speck on the wall for an hour.

Marathon coming up at end of October. Have had some good but sporadic training. The rainy season kind of killed me - the only good places to run near me were under a meter of water for a couple weeks. Now that the rainy season is over, I have my work cut out for me. See if I can get up to 100 km/week by taper time.

day two of the fall's starting strength session. so stiff and twingy from monday's squats, first set of deadlifts still had me on crazy tight afterwards. Lots of slow, deliberate stretching and time between sets and almost no increase in weight meant I got through the session okay (with lots of stretching afterwards too). Looking forward to week three when I won't be quite as sore and stiff and can lift heavier. Had a great feel for the presses, seemed like the form, particularly the shrug/stretch at the top to full extension really was working nicely for me. Stayed light, but even light didn't feel nearly as heavy as I'm used to, I'm curious if my press will have increased since March.

Finished off with two Clean sets, okay, but I need to review starting strength on clean form, I think.

Archived