[SPOILERS] Series with disappointing final books?

The faceless others

"Save the best for last" People often say this, but why is it that a lot of series are having very disappointing endings? The Night Angel trilogy's last book, Beyond the Shadows is an example, the first two books are just going fine, then there's a sudden decline in plot quality? Another one is the Malazan The Book of the Fallen's The Crippled God, seems like the author rushed, and crammed the ending.

What makes authors bungle their endings, is it pressure, or is the drive that kept them going just disappeared?

Discuss.

Ok.

Godless world - I loved the first one, but not the second, never got to the third.

Kitty series(Carrie Vaughn)- May fall in to jumping the shark, but kinda fell off in quality after the first few.

edit: Was about to start Night Angel. Hope I disagree with you, picked up all three cheep at the used store.

"Save the best for last" People often say this, but why is it that a lot of series are having very disappointing endings? The Night Angel trilogy's last book, Beyond the Shadows is an example, the first two books are just going fine, then there's a sudden decline in plot quality? Another one is the Malazan The Book of the Fallen's The Crippled God, seems like the author rushed, and crammed the ending.

What makes authors bungle their endings, is it pressure, or is the drive that kept them going just disappeared?

Discuss.

Really? Night Angel.. those books weren't all that great from the get go.

Well, here's my list of repeat offenders.

As much as i love here, Robin Hobb can't seem to tie up a series with out it feeling hollow and rushed.

Up until recently Peter F. Hamilton didn't really know how to finish off a series without an ultimate let down.

The Kushiel Series by Jaqueline Carey (mostly the Imriel trilogy). I thought she'd get edgier, but she just lost steam.. Didn't even bother with two Naamah (going on three?) novels.

Didn't enjoy Robin Hobb's Sodiers Son Trilogy- Nevarre was annoying and the ending was flat.. But I liked her other novels.

I hate when a story has a nice pace, and the BAM- it ends. :shocked: Really annoying! It makes you wonder if they just couldn't wrap up the story, so they threw it together... Although, I do think some authors are pushed to finish- and it shows.

Considering that writers with poor endings tend to be repeat offenders, these postulates don't make much sense.

Rather, tying threads together in a way that satisfies is a skill, just as characterization, or prose style, or hooks that keep you turning pages. Some are better at it than others.

ETA: If it's just an overall drop in quality, and not the FINAL book - specifically the later parts of the final book - then it's a different animal: either loss of drive or the shark-jump (which is when the idea well is running dry, so the stories themselves are [just not as good of a story; see Kitty || good stories but kind of wrong for the characters and shoe-horned in; see Speaker for the Dead || repetitions; see Catching Fire])

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Or at least, I found it pretty disappointing. So much of it is spent on the effects of the horcrux that's basically a ripoff of The One Ring. And then there's the whole fanfiction epilogue thing.

The Warrior Queen trilogy I think it is. The first book is The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling. The first book had such an interesting premise, I really liked it, and then the second book is pretty good too, but the ending is predictable. I had high hopes that she would finish strong, but it just felt like tying up lose endings. It's a shame. I loooooved the first book.

I agree with those who have said the Masters of Rome (thought The October Horse just didn't compare with the previous volumes...I didn't even know there was a seventh book until I looked it up now and obviously I haven't read it) and Peter F. Hamilton (didn't think the Night's Dawn or Void trilogies ended well), to which I would add Weis & Hickman's Death Gate Cycle and Darksword Trilogy

The Warrior Queen trilogy I think it is. The first book is The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling. The first book had such an interesting premise, I really liked it, and then the second book is pretty good too, but the ending is predictable. I had high hopes that she would finish strong, but it just felt like tying up lose endings. It's a shame. I loooooved the first book.

Oh, holy shit, yes. I'd completely forgotten. Drastic tonal shift in the third book, for the worse. Everything wrapped up with a neat little bow and a rainbow.

Oh, holy shit, yes. I'd completely forgotten. Drastic tonal shift in the third book, for the worse. Everything wrapped up with a neat little bow and a rainbow.

The Tamir Triad, I think is the formal name. Add me to the list of the disappointed. There was so much interesting creepy stuff and genuine conflict, what with the main character going through such a major identity shift...and then it all went into a boring "recover the kingdom" story, with some bonus gender essentialism that was disappointing given the whole premise. I think she wrote herself into a box by thinking that she had to directly set up everything that leads into the Nightrunner series, which follows it chronologically. But prequels are often better when they don't explain every little thing.

Archived