A Thread for Small Questions X

Datepalm

A thread for posting any small questions or issues you want to raise that don't seem like they deserve a thread of their own. If an issue does start getting more than a few posts, spin it out into its own thread. Have fun and never look back.

RE Varys, Ilryo and the bastard...

I at first thought it was Gendry, but Ned doesn't 'have' him. If that were the case, it would be 'bastards' because Ned has found more than just Gendry. That's why I started to think they meant Jon. Or wondered.

I think they used to term "have" in order to indicate that he has evidence that Robert's children share a resemblance with him. Also, at that point in the story Gendry was the only bastard in King's Landing that Ned had seen; Ned didn't go to see Barra until Littlefinger guided him to her, at which point he was ambushed by Jaime.

I think they used to term "have" in order to indicate that he has evidence that Robert's children share a resemblance with him. Also, at that point in the story Gendry was the only bastard in King's Landing that Ned had seen; Ned didn't go to see Barra until Littlefinger guided him to her, at which point he was ambushed by Jaime.

he knew of others. the girl from the vale, (maya?), the twins killed by lannisters. he always knew about robert's bastards. that wasn't the secret or a surprise to him. robert's bastards were only an issue because joffrey wasnt his child. ned doesn't know that at the time, that is what he learns from the book. 'has' infers possession, as he 'has' the book. I would think it was gendry if he had said found or knows about...but he said has. just something I think about each time I read the r+l=j page.

he knew of others. the girl from the vale, (maya?), the twins killed by lannisters. he always knew about robert's bastards. that wasn't the secret or a surprise to him. robert's bastards were only an issue because joffrey wasnt his child. ned doesn't know that at the time, that is what he learns from the book. 'has' infers possession, as he 'has' the book. I would think it was gendry if he had said found or knows about...but he said has. just something I think about each time I read the r+l=j page.

Actually, I just looked up the passage in question, and nowhere do Varys or Illyrio say that Ned "has" the bastard. Here's what Varys says: "...found one bastard...the rest will come soon. A day, two days, a fortnight..." I think it's pretty clear that he's referring to Gendry.

I was wondering why the new book is out on a Tuesday. It seems a strange day for it to come out?

New stuff usually comes out on a Tuesday - video games, dvds, books. Something to do with being shipped out on Monday at the earliest, I think.

Why is there a godswood in the Red Keep? Weren't all the Targaryens after Aegon the Conqueror followers of the Seven? I thought only the really old castles built by the First Men had them. Or can godswoods be dedicated to the Seven, and only the ones with weirwoods were for the old gods?

Why is there a godswood in the Red Keep? Weren't all the Targaryens after Aegon the Conqueror followers of the Seven? I thought only the really old castles built by the First Men had them. Or can godswoods be dedicated to the Seven, and only the ones with weirwoods were for the old gods?

That's actually a good observation. Aegon at first built only a small fortification, and later after the Conquest was over he started building the Red Keep, finished by Maegor. My guess is, since Torrhen's Stark knelt to him, in order to appease the First Men, Aegon left a small portion of the forest that was had grown there intact. Maybe the fisherfolk that lived there had a godswood, and Aegon let it be, and started building around it.

BTW, on the subject of King's Landing, does anyone know about this?

how did stannis get on the northside of the wall in ASoS?

by ship I'd assume. He sailed from dragonstone, which is the same side of the continent as Eastwatch-by-the-sea

{SPOILER}

In AFFC in the last Brienne chapter, she says to Thoros "You told me she had gone to Fairmarket." referring to the return of Stoneheart. She just met and realized who Thoros was not a few minutes before. I have reread the chapter several times and even though I have seen some old posts here stating that the BWB told her Stoneheart had gone to Fairmarket, I cannot find reference to anyone telling her that, let alone Thoros. How did Brienne know?

and then a long march next to the Wall...

they had to march in land anyone, might as well do it North of the Wall. They could easily do it in 5-6 hours ahorse.

In AFFC in the last Brienne chapter, she says to Thoros "You told me she had gone to Fairmarket." referring to the return of Stoneheart. She just met and realized who Thoros was not a few minutes before. I have reread the chapter several times and even though I have seen some old posts here stating that the BWB told her Stoneheart had gone to Fairmarket, I cannot find reference to anyone telling her that, let alone Thoros. How did Brienne know?

"You" in a plural sense. Somebody from the Brotherhood told Brienne.

Why is it important, anyway?

{SPOILER}

Yeah, I had the same thought too and I dont remember anyone telling her either. It's one of those niggling things. Maybe someone can enlighten us?

I have a small question (or 3) from the previous thread that no one answered ( I think). The small question is: Why is the Horn of Herrock mentioned every time it is used to signify that Jaime and co's arrival? Is it famous? If yes, what is it famous for?

Yeah, I had the same thought too and I dont remember anyone telling her either. It's one of those niggling things. Maybe someone can enlighten us?

I have a small question (or 3) from the previous thread that no one answered ( I think). The small question is: Why is the Horn of Herrock mentioned every time it is used to signify that Jaime and co's arrival? Is it famous? If yes, what is it famous for?

I've wondered that myself. It just appears in AFFC. The wiki only says that it is used to announce the arrival at a castle. But so far there is no history was mentioned, and certainly nothing about Herrock.

"You" in a plural sense. Somebody from the Brotherhood told Brienne.

Why is it important, anyway?

I'll still be able to sleep at night, but just that she and Thoros were alone and she didn't know where she was at all, she doesn't seem to recognize him from before and it is told from her point of view the entire time. Usually, GRRM is excellent at the small details and I'm the one who misses them.

I also found it curious that she knew Biter by name, but there is no mention of them ever crossing paths before the fight at the crossroads inn. Of course, she could have run across him in Harrenhal, but we don't get her point of view when she is there.

When Jaime reads the White Book in ASOS, Barristan Selmy's entry mentions being dismissed by King Joffrey I baratheon (uncapitalised). Is this a typo in the book, or we are to think that Barristan wrote baratheon uncapitalised to indicate that he didn't believe Joffrey was Robert's son?

Archived