Another question about Ramsey Bolton!

Judy C

Its a sticky situation. The starks are the mortoe that held the north togethor men like Lord Bolton are out for there own aggradisement. Look at the situation politically in westeros when ramsey the bastards burns Winterfell. Robb Stark had broke his vow to the freys thus losing all the swords and power wich they had with them. Secondly Lord Bolton had married himself to a frey to strenghthen that allkiance togethor between thenm they may even have more swords than King Robb. Thirdly The north had been lost Theon took winterfell without winterfell and a strong hand in the North who is there to keep lords like Bolton or Umber in check? And lastly the alliance between Lannister and Highgarden anyman who thought King Robb could win the war after that was deluded, even though he is valiant and tactically better in the feild you would have to be a genius to defeat them completley. I beleive Lord Bolton saw what side of his bread was buttered and sent orders to Ramsey to take winterfell and to await further orders whilst he see s how things play out down south.

I believe there is a part in GoT where Robb is trying to decide which of his bannermen should be used in certain roles. He discusses this with Catelyn and decides to use Roose because of his cunning as oppose to UmberJohn, who was more likely to react and charge head on. Basically, Roose's strength is that he is a cold, hard calculating general which was what Robb needed at the time.

As for Ramsey interaction with Roose, something in the writing gave me the impression that they may be coordinating with one another. Specifically it had to do with the letter Roose sent to Robb after what happened to "Ramsey".

Do you remember where exactley this is? I am really trying to determine if the bastard acted alone or on orders from his father. After what the bastard did to Lady Harwood you learn all you need to know about the kind of people the Boltons are. He is much more sinister than Theon ever was.

The Boltons and the Starks had been enemies for thousands of years. The Bolton's were kings of the Dread Fort area, they only pledged loyalty to the Starks a couple of hundred of years ago. They didn't have as much loyalty to the Starks as the rest of the Northern Houses. Ramsey was also pissed about being the Stark's captive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished a Clash of Kings. I'm very confused about Roose and Ramsey Bolton. I thot Roose Bolton was a northman, and therefore a "friend of Winterfell". Why would his son burn it to the ground? Was it just to hurt Theon? Or is it that these two as like Littlefinger - out for themselves?

Door number two. they have a hidden motivation in this. ill say no more

It is unthinkable that Ramsay and Roose were not communicating at this this stage. If Roose hadn't sanctioned Ramsay's sack of Winterfell, how the hell could the latter have gathered 600 men to his side? Ramsey is a nutcase, and those 600 wouldn't have followed him unless they were ordered to by their lord, Roose.

The fact that Ramsay had managed to gather so many men to his side to betray the Starks was a huge mystery for me when reading aCoK, until

we found out Roose had turned his cloak as well, thus making it feasible for Ramsay to have been able to lead those men

• 4 weeks later...

My question is this,

Why didn't Arya tell Roose who she was in hopes of being sent home or to Riverrun? She knows (knew) Roose was a bannerman to Robb. I know in CoK she mentions being creeped out by him, etc., but that is no excuse for not using his allegiance to have her safety ensured. Just started SoS, so she is out of Harrenhal now, and I can assume from all of what I read in the previous posts that the Bolton's will prove themselves untrustworthy, but my question regards Arya and Harrenhal. Hope someone can shed some light.

She did ask, if I recall, but she wasn't dumb enough to reveal her true identity. She said something like, when you go to Riverrun will you take me with you? And he replied something like you'll stay here with Hoat.. I think that is his name.

My question is this,

Why didn't Arya tell Roose who she was in hopes of being sent home or to Riverrun? She knows (knew) Roose was a bannerman to Robb. I know in CoK she mentions being creeped out by him, etc., but that is no excuse for not using his allegiance to have her safety ensured. Just started SoS, so she is out of Harrenhal now, and I can assume from all of what I read in the previous posts that the Bolton's will prove themselves untrustworthy, but my question regards Arya and Harrenhal. Hope someone can shed some light.

Check out this thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/65417-why-didnt-arya-tell-roose/page__p__3153704#entry3153704

But be careful as it is in the 'General World of Ice and Fire' forums and there may be spoilers within.

• 3 weeks later...

Ramsey and Reek are both terrible. Ramsey rapes and kills, and Reek engages in necrophilia when Ramsey is all done. There's a quote in Theon's final chapter about how he climbed on top of a course as it lay on the ground, dead, but still warm. Ramsey is feared across the North - a nasty, nasty man.

Right before Ser Rodrick captured the two, Ramsey switched appearances with Reek.

Rodrik killed Reek (thinking him to be Ramsey Snow), and brought Reek (Ramsey) back to Winterfell and put him into the dungeons in order to use him later as "evidence" against Ramsey Snow (I assume that Ser Rodrik was thinking that at some point, Roose Bolton would need explanation as to why his bastard had been killed, and that's when Reek would come in). The way that Ramsey ruthlessly allows Reek to take the fall for him says enough about his character.

So, by the time Theon gets to Winterfell, Ramsey, in disguise as Reek, is sitting in the dungeons and gets released. "Reek" plays along with Theon, and acts as one of his loyalist of men. When Winterfell stands to be seiged, "Reek" takes money from Theon and offers to go find some men of his own. Theon accepts this request out of desperation, and "Reek" goes off to do his thing.

At some point here, Ramsey consults with his father about taking back Winterfell. He takes hundreds of men from the Dreadfort (House Bolton) and marches to Winterfell just as Ser Rodrik is about to begin his seige. He is no longer under the guise of Reek, but rather is fully decked out in armor. He offers his hand in friendship and alliance to Ser Rodrik, and as he takes it, Ramsey cuts his arm off. He then uses the element of surprise to attack the northmen that Ser Rodrik commanded, and forces his way back into Winterfell.

Once inside, Theon still believes him to be "Reek" and offers reward for his loyalty (bedding Pilla). At this point, Ramsey removes his helmet, and is recognized by some in Winterfell as Ramsey, not "Reek". He then procedes to sack Winterfell murdering many men and women, slaughtering many of the horses + dogs, and ultimately capturing Theon Greyjoy as his prisoner.

I think it's also mentioned that Ramsay has a bit of a chip on his shoulder, as he considers himself highborn (ie. Ramsay Bolton) but others see him for a bastard (ie. Ramsay Snow, his given name). This is probably supposed to be a strong motivation for him to be a proper @sshole.

• 1 month later...

Without getting too much into spoiler realms; it seems pretty obvious the Boltons in general are out for themselves. The old survival of the fittest kind of people. They only support the Starks because Eddard is strong. I do not think Roose ever showed himself as a generally good guy (I mean cmon, his symbol is the flayed man, and both he and his bastard Ramsey really get off on torture). Roose does not seem to like Ramsey much but seems ok with using him to do stuff Roose himself can't do.

Roose has been never shown to torture any one although he is cold and calculating.

My question is this,

Arya did not trust Roose bolton as much as she trusted glover, she was planning to tell glover but he left the castle.Also roose giving all the women in the castle for any one to rape and also one time when she listens to the conversation between freys and roose where freys tell roose that robb should bend the knee but he answers just by saying he is king in the north and who will tell him instead of firmly telling them, that what they are thinking is betrayal all these points made roose untrustworthy for arya.

Archived