Arya & Gendry

Hi All,

I am reading SoS and am LOVING it! :)

I am at the point in the story where;

Jamie & Brienne are at Harrenhal, Tyrion and Sansa are married. Gendry & Arya are at the Peach. Dany just bought the Unsulllied.Jon & Ygritte are doing it and liking it!

Has anyone noticed a little flirty business between Gendry & Arya? I would LOVE to see them end up together, that would be just perfect in my eyes... :)

At the Peach, there is some dialogue between them andwhen Arya has been dressed in "girls" clothes, he laughs and stuff and it reminds me of how a young man/boy would tease a girl he liked.

Anyone?

Most definitely. But because it's rather obvious to us (but not to them yet) it likely won't be that easy.

Gendry is more Sansa's age, right? That would sure make things complicated enough as Arya eventually resurfaces in Westeros.

age gap relationships aren't too uncommon in the setting and Arya is having to grow up faster than a child of noble birth normally would so it's not inconceivable. I think there's definite attraction between them but whether it would actually grow into more than innocent flirting or childish teasing is hard to say

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am reading SoS and am LOVING it! smile.gif

I am at the point in the story where;

Jamie & Brienne are at Harrenhal, Tyrion and Sansa are married. Gendry & Arya are at the Peach. Dany just bought the Unsulllied.Jon & Ygritte are doing it and liking it!

Has anyone noticed a little flirty business between Gendry & Arya? I would LOVE to see them end up together, that would be just perfect in my eyes... smile.gif

At the Peach, there is some dialogue between them andwhen Arya has been dressed in "girls" clothes, he laughs and stuff and it reminds me of how a young man/boy would tease a girl he liked.

Anyone?

I'd like to see them end up together too, though right now Arya's WAY too young. But if she were to get married, I can see her being more comfortable as a blacksmith (with royal blood)'s wife, than having to live as a "lady". Gendry accepts Arya for who she is - willful, spirited, and a survivor. I don't think he'd try to suppress her personality, or desire to fight if needed (or use her sword-fighting skills) after marriage either. They are both kind of out of place in the world - Gendry's a King's bastard with blacksmithing skills, and Arya is of a noble house, but really just wants to be a tomboy. If she wants a family (it's not certain what she'll want as she ages), I think Gendry is a great match for her.

I'm on board with this. The banter between the two is so great and it's a huge relief to me that Gendry is there to keep an eye on Arya. I'm glad to see others have noticed this possible seedling relationship as well. I'm almost to the RW chapter and because I spoiled myself after hearing it mentioned at Comic-Con, I've been dreading it. I think I need to just read through it quickly, like ripping off a bandaid. To be honest, I think in this particular sense, being spoiled was to my GREAT advantage. I'd have been SO freaked out reading it unawares. But so far, ASOS is my favorite book of the three. I'm really really really enjoying it. Book one held no surprises since I'd seen the show first and ACOK was so......dark and depressing and full of turmoil, it made thinking back on AGOT give me warm fuzzies! ASOS has has a great balance of humor, wit, war, death, love, beauty, hope, despair....all the things we associate with ASOIF.

• 3 months later...

How could this topic have died? I thought there would be more Genrya shippers.

It's extremely obvious that they're perfect for each other, so I'd be pissed off if Arya ends up married to that Frey kid she met at Harrenhal (to whom ironically she was engaged) or Hot Pie.

Eventhough there's a 10 +/- difference between them, it doesn't seem to matter in Westeros.

Besides the age issue, I don't think that would really work. Gendry and Arya are too much alike. Plus, Gendry just really wants to be left alone to do smithing while Arya is more open to adventure. I can't imagine anyone really capturing Arya's heart. She's not meant to be a sap in love.

How could this topic have died?
Because everyone read the rest of the books, and posted in the similar, but spoiler-friendly threads in the main section (or shut up after reading those books, alternatively)

Also, no it's not extremely obvious they are made for each other. Arya is ten, and at ten you're not who you will be when adult. Heck, even real couples forming at adolescence last, on average, two weeks.

It's extremely obvious that they're perfect for each other, so I'd be pissed off if Arya ends up married to that Frey kid she met at Harrenhal (to whom ironically she was engaged) or Hot Pie.

Why not Arya, Gendry and Hot Pie? Someone needs to do the cooking after all.

I am a Genrya shipper myself. Yes Arya is young and right now that is the last thing on her mind, but maybe in the future. Besides real love doesn't have to be all sappy and mushy like it is in the movies. I can't picture her mooning over some boy either, but that doesn't mean she can't have genuine romantic feelings for a boy. Romance is subjective and it doesn't have to be all puppy eyes, flowers, lovey-dove poetry. It depends on the people involved how they choose to express their love.

I am not a big shipper person but Arya/Gendry are too perfect for each either. Plus, at least Robert will get his wish about Starks/Baratheon being bound by blood. Yes, Gendry is a bastard, but he still Robert's son.

I think the main problem is that at this point, they both know there is a "spark". But Gendry won't allow himself to have feelings for Arya, he knows she is of high birth, but doesn't know (yet) that he is of high birth as well.

The main problem for their relationship isn't the age difference, it's the "birth-difference". If Gendry were to find out he's a son of Robert Baratheon, things would be different.

And as I have hope that the true Baratheons will one day reclaim the throne (either Stannis of Gendry), Arya could have herself a rather nice position at the court, maybe queen? although that wouldn't really suit her...

You know what I noticed in AFFC? Gendry had "replaced" his Arya with a very Arya-like replacement: Willow. She's skinny with brown hair (but brown eyes), she's very tough, and Brienne even asks herself "could this be Arya?" before discounting it, because she notes how all the children obey her and that she seems born to command. To me, this was an ironic resurgence of the friendship that Gendry had with Arya, another partner-in-crime who has Arya's personality. He probably misses the real deal, though -- and hey, who wouldn't :)

The main problem for their relationship isn't the age difference, it's the "birth-difference".
No, it's the age, fullstop. If Arya were even as young as 12/13, maybe it could be different, but as it is, you're imagining
with feelings and approach to relationships of an adolescent, and making Gendry a worse pedophile than Littlefinger or Sandor.

To me, this was an obvious effort on Gendry's part to have another partner-in-crime who has Arya's personality

The BwB is collecting orphans of Arya's age in the region Arya was last because they try to find Arya. It's not Gendry's effort, it's Catelyn's, and Gendry is a just a member of the Brotherhood (he knows Brienne will get hanged, too, like Jeyne) who takes care of the multiple children they collect. Happens Willow and Jeyne Heddle are the owners of the crossroads inn, anyway, and the inn has a forge.

The idea that Gendry would try to find someone like Arya when he decided to leave her to follow Beric instead, back then, is odd enough.

No, it's the age, fullstop. If Arya were even as young as 12/13, maybe it could be different, but as it is, you're imagining

with feelings and approach to relationships of an adolescent, and making Gendry a worse pedophile than Littlefinger or Sandor.

... The BwB is collecting orphans of Arya's age in the region Arya was last because they try to find Arya. It's not Gendry's effort, it's Catelyn's, and Gendry is a just a member of the Brotherhood (he knows Brienne will get hanged, too, like Jeyne) who takes care of the multiple children they collect. Happens Willow and Jeyne Heddle are the owners of the crossroads inn, anyway, and the inn has a forge.

The idea that Gendry would try to find someone like Arya when he decided to leave her to follow Beric instead, back then, is odd enough.

First of all, I started liking boys as soon as I discovered them in preschool. I started liking them romantically when I was 7. So do lots of other young girls. While Arya herself only considered Gendry a good friend (close enough for her to consider him part of her "pack") their age difference is literally nothing.

I think it's pretty extreme to imply that Gendry would be a pedophile for having feelings for Arya. They're very close in age for medieval standards, and his actions are never lewd or inappropriate. Compare him to Tyrion's behavior towards Sansa on their wedding night (ok, I give him props for not bedding her, but it was much more creepy to me that he was having an erection from seeing a 12-yr-old girl). But that's the thing: she had a woman's body, and these aren't black and white situations.

I agree that if any objections were made, it would be to his being a bastard, but at least he's a highborn bastard of the former king - a Gendry Rivers, so to speak. Like Edric Storm, altho he was noble on both sides. But apparently even if only one side is noble it makes a difference. And Arya is not one to care about those things anyway.

And I never meant to say that Gendry himself sought her out -- more that fate brought Willow back to this inn as well as Gendry. I guess I should edit how I phrased it, because what I meant was this: it's funny that Gendry and Willow are kind of the "husband and wife team" of all the other orphans there, and that Willow just so happens to have a lot of Arya characteristics. They seem close; that's what I meant by saying she's a poor "Arya replacement". I don't think it's so odd that Gendry misses Arya...he chose to do something he considered honorable instead of taking Arya's lord brother's scraps from the table. It's obvious that he has a prejudice against highborn people, and he liked what the BWB stood for. Gendry strikes me as a proud young man, and following around this highborn lady as she is on her way to being ransomed is probably not his cup of tea, even tho he enjoys her un-lady-like company. Plus, if he had ended up smithing for Robb, he probably wouldn't have seen (or been allowed to see) Arya much after her reunion with her mother/brother. (I'm sure Arya would have seen who she'd like, but in his mind he has no assurances of it.) I'm pretty confident those factors came into play for him when he "left Arya behind".

The thing I like most about Arya and Gendry is that they're on equal footing, they're both smart, tough and pretty fearless (Arya definitely borders on reckless tho, which is why I love her). I've always assumed that while they might "give it shot" in a handful of years I never thought they'd really make a thing of it, probably just end up being close and long time friends. Besides, Gendry does seem like a "settle down" (eventually) type where as I doubt Arya ever will. I'm betting she'll be the love 'em and leave 'em type. I really like their friendship they've got going on, I think it's pretty realistic and sweet actually :)

The age thing is kinda a moot point for me. For one thing consider the setting, the characters don't exactly play by our rules. And Gendry seems to treat her like a kid sister most of the time with an edge of interest in the young woman she's growing into.

And I also agree with Dark Sister about liking boys way before puberty struck.

As far as i'm concerned Gendry and Arya have to get together, they are two of the most ballsy characters and have great chemistry.

Maybe Sansa, Jon & a few of Roberts other bastards can die and Gendry and Arya can rule the seven kingdoms? (however would prefer if Snow survived but just hung out on the wall with Ghost)

I actually like that idea Apeags, but I can only see Arya as wild and reckless and free. She reminds me of Ygritte, who has no respect for those that "bend the knee".

Gendry would make a pretty good king though, he has the courage and strength of Robert but tempered with a certain degree of insight his father seemed to completely lack.

Archived