Arya & Gendry

First of all, I started liking boys as soon as I discovered them in preschool. I started liking them romantically when I was 7. So do lots of other young girls. While Arya herself only considered Gendry a good friend (close enough for her to consider him part of her "pack") their age difference is literally nothing.

It's not the age difference, it's Arya's age. Sure, you "liked" boys at 7, but that was not in any way or form the same as the way you liked them later on. I doubt you ended up with a guy who was 16 and you liked when you were 9, too.

I think it's pretty extreme to imply that Gendry would be a pedophile for having feelings for Arya.
No, it's mere fact. Paedophile==liking kids. Arya is a kid. You want Gendry to want to put it in her, that's paedophilia. Textbook definition. Your argument about Willow being some sort of replacement, while younger than Arya, doesn't help at all.

And after the war for the Dawn, objections about who is noble and who isn't will be really irrelevant. Heck, it's not even relevant now, for the ladies who decide it's not. Like Asha. It would be even harder to negotiate with an army of wolves, maybe a dragon, and ultimately someone who can shift faces and stab you when you don't expect it.

It's not the age difference, it's Arya's age. Sure, you "liked" boys at 7, but that was not in any way or form the same as the way you liked them later on. I doubt you ended up with a guy who was 16 and you liked when you were 9, too.

Well you're wrong there, because at 7 I liked boys in the same way I liked them as an adolescent. As for my dating history, I don't think it's relevant, but I have been with a guy who was older than I was. I won't say the specific ages because you'll probably think he was a pedophile too although we were both teenagers.

No, it's mere fact. Paedophile==liking kids. Arya is a kid. You want Gendry to want to put it in her, that's paedophilia. Textbook definition. Your argument about Willow being some sort of replacement, while younger than Arya, doesn't help at all.

I did not say I wanted Gendry to "put it in her"...you're putting something in me, though. Words. In my mouth. It's okay for Gendry to have feelings for Arya. It's obvious from the way he acts around her that he's not thinking of "putting it in her" -- they fight and laugh and talk. The only "romantic" overture he ever made was sniffing at her and saying she smelled nice, and looked pretty (a pretty tree, even). That's not wrong, and it wouldn't be wrong for him to hope to eventually be with her when she is older. LOTS of people think this way - many girls hope to eventually be with guys who are older than they are, and vice versa. There's nothing "explosive" or new about that fact. I don't know what planet you're from to have such strict, strait-laced ideas about sexuality. Kids are sexual. Adolescents are sexual. Adults are sexual. Just because some of us hope that he and Arya might eventually get together is no reason for you to very inappropriately accuse us of shipping pedophilia. And you STILL don't understand what I was saying about Willow. I wasn't implying that anything is going on between them either. Willow just so happens to be Arya's age, look a bit like her, and have a similar personality. I thought it was cute and ironic. That's it.

And after the war for the Dawn, objections about who is noble and who isn't will be really irrelevant. Heck, it's not even relevant now, for the ladies who decide it's not. Like Asha. It would be even harder to negotiate with an army of wolves, maybe a dragon, and ultimately someone who can shift faces and stab you when you don't expect it.

What does this have to do with anything??

Well you're wrong there, because at 7 I liked boys in the same way I liked them as an adolescent. As for my dating history, I don't think it's relevant, but I have been with a guy who was older than I was. I won't say the specific ages because you'll probably think he was a pedophile too although we were both teenagers.
But my objection is that Arya is *not* an adolescent, and not even a teenager. And you, among others, keep writing as if she was, and also if Gendry was roughly of an age with her.

And... "have been dating"? Aren't teenage sparkles supposed to last for years, even years separated, and then forever? It's the bread and butter of Arya+Gendry, after all, that some sort of compatibility at one point means a future married couple, until death do them part, and all that stuff.

I did not say I wanted Gendry to "put it in her"...you're putting something in me, though. Words. In my mouth. It's okay for Gendry to have feelings for Arya.
Well, alright, the formulation seems to have been off-base, but ultimately when you push those romantic feelings on kids, there is obligatorily a sexual undertone, otherwise it's a sibling relationship.

So I don't think you can dance around the fact that you're using what you construe as sexual tension between the kids to prop up the proposed relationship.

What does this have to do with anything??
Uh, you said:

I agree that if any objections were made, it would be to his being a bastard

But my objection is that Arya is *not* an adolescent, and not even a teenager. And you, among others, keep writing as if she was, and also if Gendry was roughly of an age with her.

I would contest that Arya IS an adolescent now, or close enough as makes no matter. She's seen and done more things than most adults have, so if it's a matter of bleeding, I think that's :bs: She's 11, the same age Sansa was when she was deemed old enough to betroth Joffrey. Other shippers do NOT write as if she is an adolescent, anyway -- every single one of us has said that we would like for them to get together at some point in the future. Obviously, she's too damaged now to be with anyone even if she is considered a teen.

And... "have been dating"? Aren't teenage sparkles supposed to last for years, even years separated, and then forever? It's the bread and butter of Arya+Gendry, after all, that some sort of compatibility at one point means a future married couple, until death do them part, and all that stuff.

Are you talking about my relationship that I mentioned? If so, then actually, yes, that's exactly what happened with me, including being years separated. I don't appreciate your veiled insult to my "teenage sparkles", either. You know nothing of my life. As for Arya & Gendry, I think it would be sweet if they got together in the end, but that doesn't mean they would be in the circumstances to be married, or live happily ever after.

Well, alright, the formulation seems to have been off-base, but ultimately when you push those romantic feelings on kids, there is obligatorily a sexual undertone, otherwise it's a sibling relationship

So I don't think you can dance around the fact that you're using what you construe as sexual tension between the kids to prop up the proposed relationship.

Who's pushing romantic feelings on these kids? Us shippers?

They're fictional characters. It's not as cut-and-dry as sexual undertone, or sibling relationship. Sexuality isn't that simple and neither is romance.

I'm not dancing around anything - I think that both of them liked each other, and whether it was subconscious or conscious is debatable. There was only a friendship, not a relationship, and I can't recall any instances of sexual tension. Maybe mutual attraction, but that's all, and for the thousandth time, Gendry considered her too young to look at her that way. It's obvious that when he felt sexual tension/attraction he would blush beet red - for instance, around his (unwitting) half-sister Bella at Stoney Sept. His relation with Arya was more intimate, yet not pervy in any sense of the word. If you don't want me to "dance around" anything, I'll say it straight out -- I think it would be sweet if they got together at some point. I at least have the gut feeling that they will meet again and experience strong feelings during that reunion, but what those feelings may be is still a mystery, since Arya+Gendry have both changed so much. In any case, I'm usually good at spotting budding romances, just as the other posters were who support a Genrya thing.

Uh, you said:

I agree that if any objections were made, it would be to his being a bastard

I was agreeing with "HereWeStand-Mormont" on the fact that an obstacle to their "being married" (his words, not mine) would be their difference in birth, unless Gendry ever discovered he was King Robert's son. But I agree w/you that Arya wouldn't let a little thing like that stop her.

I would contest that Arya IS an adolescent now, or close enough as makes no matter. She's seen and done more things than most adults have, so if it's a matter of bleeding, I think that's :bs: She's 11, the same age Sansa was when she was deemed old enough to betroth Joffrey. Other shippers do NOT write as if she is an adolescent, anyway -- every single one of us has said that we would like for them to get together at some point in the future. Obviously, she's too damaged now to be with anyone even if she is considered a teen.
It's not a matter of when you want them to hook up, it's a matter of their current age when supposedly there are "sparkles". And there you do built her up as adolescent.

Arya is 11 six months or so after leaving Gendry... And Sansa's relationship with Joffrey being decided by her father and built on fairytales Sansa though she lived, I don't think it's a good point in favour of even older kids even getting close to normal relationships.

Interesting that on one hand you say that what she experienced makes her more mature but at the same time that this experience actually leads her away from any ship.

Are you talking about my relationship that I mentioned? If so, then actually, yes, that's exactly what happened with me, including being years separated. I don't appreciate your veiled insult to my "teenage sparkles", either. You know nothing of my life.
Then don't bring up your life as point of comparison if you don't want it to be discussed. There was no insult in what I wrote, veiled or otherwise, also. Irony, maybe, your use of a past tense was intriguing.

Who's pushing romantic feelings on these kids? Us shippers?

They're fictional characters.

Yes.

Note I am not arguing that Arya and Gendry cannot meet in the future and reconnect then build something. I am just dismayed by those who find "sparkles" between them in ASOS or before (since we are in an ASOS forum)

I was agreeing with "HereWeStand-Mormont" on the fact that an obstacle to their "being married" (his words, not mine) would be their difference in birth, unless Gendry ever discovered he was King Robert's son. But I agree w/you that Arya wouldn't let a little thing like that stop her.
Yes, and I was disagreeing that birth would be an issue to Arya, considering the circumstances, no matter who she decides to partner with, if she ever does.

His relation with Arya was more intimate, yet not pervy in any sense of the word.

I agree. There doesn't have to be anything sexual about. I took it as cute childlike 'crushy' feelings between the two.

It's not a matter of when you want them to hook up, it's a matter of their current age when supposedly there are "sparkles". And there you do built her up as adolescent.

Arya is 11 six months or so after leaving Gendry... And Sansa's relationship with Joffrey being decided by her father and built on fairytales Sansa though she lived, I don't think it's a good point in favour of even older kids even getting close to normal relationships.

Interesting that on one hand you say that what she experienced makes her more mature but at the same time that this experience actually leads her away from any ship.

No, at the time she meets him she is 10 or 9, or whatever her age was. And there were sparks between them, I'm sorry you can't see it. Although maybe it's better for you in the long run.

Obviously Joff and Sansa's relationship didn't work out, but you're very naive if you think that children don't have relationships with each other. It has nothing to do with fairytales. What generation are you from, anyway?? What constitutes a "normal" relationship anyway?

How can Arya's experiences NOT have made her mature? It doesn't lead away from any ship, I just expect that if they do reunite, it probably won't end with their being married. Lyanna and Rhaegar got together, but we have no idea if they married and their romance was short-lived.

Then don't bring up your life as point of comparison if you don't want it to be discussed. There was no insult in what I wrote, veiled or otherwise, also. Irony, maybe, your use of a past tense was intriguing.

If there was no insult in what you wrote, that's fine, but I thought it was ironic that I have experienced something you thought was so unlikely. I did not mean to use past tense and I'm certainly not going to natter on about grammar with you. I suggest you may as well stop arguing about this whole Arya+Gendry topic with me because I will never concede, and I doubt you will either. Not to mention you've twisted and/or misunderstood almost everything I've said about them, when in fact what I've been saying all along is very, very simple. As ManyFacedOne says, "there were cute, childlike "crushy" feelings between the two", and no matter how much you deny it, it won't stop being true. Sorry if you're so offended by this stuff that you can't pick up on it.

I'm going to completely ignore this whole sexuality in children argument, since I don't think it exists in this context, but regarding whether Gendry could end up with Arya down the line, I doubt it will happen. Sure, it'd make a nice ending to the crazy world of Westeros, but since when has anything remotely this predictable actually ended up happening in this fictional world? The way I see it, Arya is frustrated with Gendry, because he refuses to play with her or participate in her adventures or battles. She likes him, because he's strong, determined, and not of noble birth (meaning, he isn't expected to adhere to arbitrary rules of the court). Gendry likes her, because she's brash, different, and as determined as he is. However when he finds out Arya's a bit more important (at least in the current state of Westeros), he starts to treat her differently. He starts to place this boundary between him and her based solely on class, and this frustrates Arya even more. She just wants a playmate!

She loved Jon and the butcher's boy, because they would look past who she is supposed to be and play with her regardless. I don't see Gendry forgetting who she is anytime soon, so I don't think that relationship can be anything beyond past companions on a terrible series of misadventures across Westeros. By the end of Book 3, Gendry is content on being a very good blacksmith to anyone who will hire him, while Arya is determined to continue on her quest to right all the wrongs done to her family.

I also refuse to talk about the Arya & Gendry "lights out time" lol. Ew. Anyway, I like Gendry, (to a degree, he could have saved Brienne earlier) However he is a bastard. Not fit for a lady, and certainly not fit for Arya Stark. It would have been nice, but alas Gendry was born on the wrong side of the sheets. I would be real pissed if Arya has to wind up with a bastard. Seriously he is a bastard!!!

I also refuse to talk about the Arya & Gendry "lights out time" lol. Ew. Anyway, I like Gendry, (to a degree, he could have saved Brienne earlier) However he is a bastard. Not fit for a lady, and certainly not fit for Arya Stark. It would have been nice, but alas Gendry was born on the wrong side of the sheets. I would be real pissed if Arya has to wind up with a bastard. Seriously he is a bastard!!!

Well, he's certainly got more of his father in him than any of Robert's legitimate "children." I wouldn't be surprised if he and/or Edric Storm were legitimized one day. (Though Edric has a much better chance, since he's not baseborn.)

OMG! So much hatred towards bastards! hahaha what did they do to you?

Well, I do think it's fit for Arya! She never allowed herself to be boxed in the lady-standarts of her time... Any lord she marries will want to put her in a dress and make a lady out of her. That's not happening! She has come to the point where she's free to decide who she wants, and I'm pretty sure that lordship won't be a major point in it!

OMG! So much hatred towards bastards! hahaha what did they do to you?

Well, I do think it's fit for Arya! She never allowed herself to be boxed in the lady-standarts of her time... Any lord she marries will want to put her in a dress and make a lady out of her. That's not happening! She has come to the point where she's free to decide who she wants, and I'm pretty sure that lordship won't be a major point in it!

I dont hate bastards, I like Jon Snow. But lets look at Westeros, its de-starked. We need the Starks to gain power, it would be nice to see Arya happy with Gendry, but lets not forget that Arya is a physco killer who's main love is vengence. A political marriage is the perfect thing to stop the Lannisters. Plus Gendry is kind of a herb

I dont hate bastards, I like Jon Snow. But lets look at Westeros, its de-starked. We need the Starks to gain power, it would be nice to see Arya happy with Gendry, but lets not forget that Arya is a physco killer who's main love is vengence. A political marriage is the perfect thing to stop the Lannisters. Plus Gendry is kind of a herb

Arya is not a psycho killer. Also, Arya most likely isn't even going to be herself when she comes back so I doubt there's going to be any political marriages arranged for her.

Arya is not a psycho killer. Also, Arya most likely isn't even going to be herself when she comes back so I doubt there's going to be any political marriages arranged for her.

lol I love Arya, as does everybody, who would'nt? But... she kills mad people! Every night she "prays" for the death of people, Nymeria (who is Arya) kills sooo many people (i thought Wrags should'nt indulge in human meat). Maybe psycho is kind of a strong word, but I would be damned if its incorrect. lol. Also Arya is technically the only "Lady or Lord" out of the Starks. Right? "Arya" is married to Ramsay Snow Bolton so if she wants to prove that she is the real deal she would have to play AGOT (get politically married) Some Blacksmith who hangs out with her dead mother... dont really see what he has to offer. (Unless she kills him {kingsblood} and gets a dragon, that would be most kickass)

Yeah, I think calling her a psycho killer was a bit too harsh... But I have to agree she's somewhat fucked up! But I also think she may "come back to light" with proper guidance.. the people she killed was when she had nobody to discipline her! She felt like she had to take things on her hand in order to survive! If she ever have some kind of tutor (i don't know if she ever will) this might change....

Anyway I don't see her playing the GOT. Sansa is ahead of her, and I couldn't even imagine Arya being interested on that! She's much more of a free spirit!

Yeah, I think calling her a psycho killer was a bit too harsh... But I have to agree she's somewhat fucked up! But I also think she may "come back to light" with proper guidance.. the people she killed was when she had nobody to discipline her! She felt like she had to take things on her hand in order to survive! If she ever have some kind of tutor (i don't know if she ever will) this might change....

Anyway I don't see her playing the GOT. Sansa is ahead of her, and I couldn't even imagine Arya being interested on that! She's much more of a free spirit!

for sure, which is why it would be fun to see. But please "come back to the light" no!!!! The Starks do what only Jedi and America can...justify murder

Archived