Arya & Gendry

Errant Bard: Is not a matter of when you want them to hook up, it's a matter of their current age when supposedly there are sparkles. Arya is 11 six months or so after leaving Gendry.

Just so. 11 and six months would place her in sixth or seventh grade in these times of ours. To get a better perspective. Girls, who do not have an *eternal* crush on JBieber, have already lived through quite a few crushes on classmates/older brothers of their friends etc. Of course, there are girls who do not dream of blond-haired, blue-eyed princes best and do not paint hearts on their school papers. Like Arya. She likes adventure, challenge, loyalty, strenght. Gendry is all that and she likes him and she also finds it harder to excuse his mistakes (all the "stupids" and, after all, Arya is like a little boy, who pulls hair of someone he likes (or throws apples at them for that matter)). She is also aware of girl-boy dynamics somewhat when she quite out of nowhere urges Gendry to "go back and ring that girl's bells"; when angry with him.

Now about Gendry being 16 (if I am not mistaken). Without making an argument "in Westeros it is practically nothing", I would place the emphasis on how he came about to like her. At first she was just a boy for all he knew. Somewhat small, but brave, non-complaining and equal to every task. He found a friend. Then he became aware she was a girl and an unusual sort of a girl. In a few instances GRRM shows how he gets impressed when she does this or that. And then in Ancorn Hall he actually sees her looking as a girl. All dressed-up etc. And he starts with it like with some curious amusing thing - laughing and pinching - but surprisingly ends-up in an out of character wrestling match with Arya and gets confused by it as we see in his later lines.

I don't think it is accidental that later we have them together in a brothel. A place were men come to be with women. It is a place for Gendry to understand that he IS a man and girls like the one who offered herself to him must be some part of his future. Not Arya, who, in her turn, is harassed by some old skunk to give more emphasis that she is VERY MUCH a girl in all the ways.

What we see in Gendry is a somehat slow, protective boy who got overturned by the force Arya is and when he starts to realize that something is going on, chooses to stay away from her.

Errant Bard: Note I am not arguing that Arya and Gendry cannot meet in the future and reconnect then build something. I am just dismayed by those who find sparkles between them in ASOS or before

If we ignore all the scenes they are together in, how about the song (songs are often used to reinfroce the point of the story, like Sansa and The Bear and the Maiden Fair)

ASOS:

Both of them were covered in dirt, and one sleeve was tom. on her stupid acorn dress. Tom was singing when they returned to the hall.

My featherbed is deep and soft, and there I’ll lay you down,

I’ll dress you all in yellow silk, and on your head a crown.

For you shall be my lady love, and I shall be your lord.

I’ll always keep you warm and safe, and guard you with my sword.

Harwin took one look at them and burst out laughing, and Anguy smiled one of his stupid freckly smiles and said, “Are we certain this one is a highborn lady?” But Lem Lemoncloak gave Gendry a clout alongside the head. “You want to fight, fight with me! She’s a girl, and half your age! You keep your hands off o’ her, you hear me?”

“I started it” said Arya. “Gendry was just talking.”

“Leave the boy, Lem,” said Harwin. “Arya did start it, I have no doubt. She was much the same at Winterfell.”</div>

Tom winked at her as he sang:

And how she smiled and how she laughed, the maiden of the tree [Note: Acorn Dress]

She spun away and said to him, no featherbed for me.

I’ll wear a gown of golden leaves, and bind my hair with grass

But you can be my forest love, and me your forest lass.

Well, if the age difference between Arya and Gendry get people grinding their molars, then they are totally going to hate that I'm shipping Arya/Syrio and Arya/Jaqen. Syrio is likely dead and who is Jaqen really. Arya can't end up with up with good guy smith who loves her because that's not her. She does not want to be a Frey's princess either. Even if Arya is not sure about who she is, I think she's clear about who she's not and she clearly rejects the Westerosi options. In AGoT, Ned Stark tries to walk her through her options and she flat out says "That's not me."

I don't really mind Gendry at all. The crap about being baseborn is more in his head than in Arya's, really. And if anything, I'd say he's not old enough to be with Arya. (cue "Har!"). But Gendry is that conventionally attractive guy in your neighborhood (Oh, he's so tall! And those muscles!) who is not hot at all.

As for the wink-wink musical stylings of Uncle Edmure's favorite bard, it would be more like Sansa to fall for that. I imagine Arya being completely oblivious or, if she realizes the implication, will punch them and yell "you stupid!"

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I'm really shocked to see people referring to Arya as a "psycho killer" or "mad." She has done/is doing nothing a normal person wouldn't do to her enemies if they beheaded her father in front of her eyes and ripped apart her family. If you're actually suggesting that she should be a good little girl, wait and perhaps pray for everything to turn out okay(insert sneer), then it's not her whom something's wrong with. I'm sure there are some people in this world who are so graceful and forgiving that they're above such things as revenge, but let's face it, most of us are not. Her desire for revenge doesn't mean she's a psycho or she's mad, it just means she's human.

As for the AryaxGendry business... I don't understand the big deal with this one either. No one here ever implied of anything sexual should happen between them. From what I've observed, most shippers (myself included) think it's cute and entertain the possibility that someday in the future (after Arya returns to Westeros because I believe she will) and is of appropriate age, something may happen between them. Personally, I can totally see it. I think that, based on what we've seen of their personalities so far, they would make a good couple in the future. That's it. And I really don't think I'm pedophilia-tolerant because of this - as some people here have applied.

She has done/is doing nothing a normal person wouldn't do to her enemies if they beheaded her father in front of her eyes and ripped apart her family.
Except she's doing nothing to those who beheaded her family but to random guys on the road, that's the thing, and her actions horrify even those who have lost as much as her, even adults. So no, not normal by a long shot.

No, it's not normal. But what happened to her and her family wasn't exactly normal or healthy either. And perhaps I am a little biased because Arya is one of my favourite characters, but I just think there's a difference between a killer and a psycho. Yes, Arya killed people for her own safety and needs. But a psycho is something different entirely. Arya is a killer. Ramsay Bolton is a psycho. That's all I was saying. I never said that Arya was an angel.

On a lighter note, seeing as the title of this topic is AryaxGendry, I think we're straying from the main topic a little xD

watch those spoilers: ASOS forum

Thanks Errant Bard! Oops, Most of the times I am on guard and look at the original post's heading. Not this time :bang: I edited my post :blushing:

No, it's not normal. But what happened to her and her family wasn't exactly normal or healthy either. And perhaps I am a little biased because Arya is one of my favourite characters, but I just think there's a difference between a killer and a psycho. Yes, Arya killed people for her own safety and needs. But a psycho is something different entirely. Arya is a killer. Ramsay Bolton is a psycho. That's all I was saying. I never said that Arya was an angel.

On a lighter note, seeing as the title of this topic is AryaxGendry, I think we're straying from the main topic a little xD

Yes you're right :drunk:

Arya is a tough character. I like her and force myself in not doing so - but fail trying. I can understand why GRRM likes it to write her chapters ...

... w/e enjoy. Anyway, ill humor you guys that want to set up every character with every character... who would legitimize Gendry? The Lannisters? Dany?

I'll humour you in return xP Stannis? He's the one that makes most sense. I think Dany is so far fetched and I really can't imagine Cersei doing a favour for one of Robert's bastards. But Gendry and Stannis are blood, so... maayyybee.

I'll humour you in return xP Stannis? He's the one that makes most sense. I think Dany is so far fetched and I really can't imagine Cersei doing a favour for one of Robert's bastards. But Gendry and Stannis are blood, so... maayyybee.

lol i could see him legitimizing him before Edric

Maybe a North king/queen could, but isn't that overstepping their boundaries? Gendry is from KL

lol i could see him legitimizing him before Edric

Maybe a North king/queen could, but isn't that overstepping their boundaries? Gendry is from KL

True, but I don't think the whole North vs South thing doesn't matter much anymore. Well, not as much as it used to, at least. Need I mention the Northmen participants of the treachery in the Red Wedding? Against the King In the North?

If a King/Queen In the North should legitimise him, I think post-mortem Catelyn may have a hand in that, seeing as Gendry is a knight of BWB now.

Do you also feel like we're reaching a tad or is it just me? xD

huh?

And Cat isn't a queen, just *fill in the blank*. And how can you say north vs south doesn't matter. Look at your name! lol

Yes, I know that. I meant to underline the thing that Gendry and Catelyn have in common - which is Brotherhood Without Banners. English isn't my first language so perhaps I've phrased myself incorrectly. My apologies.

Well, we have seen Northmen betraying their own kin to the Iron Throne, haven't we? I didn't mean it wasn't important to me, but every character in the books.

At any rate, I don't think this legitimising business is that relevant. Someone had pointed out earlier how Arya isn't the type to make a big deal of someone's birth and I agree.

Do you also feel like we're reaching a tad or is it just me. Thats why i said huh?

Arya is of House Stark!! If you want her kids or grandkids to be even remotely as cool as she is then Gendry cant be the Sire (unless he becomes a Lord). You cant get more feudal then Westeros, last names matter. Gendry wasn't even acknowledged by Robert. And i guess its cool that he is a BWB, but Blackfish is the one i want to be there, or the hound

Do you also feel like we're reaching a tad or is it just me. Thats why i said huh?

Arya is of House Stark!! If you want her kids or grandkids to be even remotely as cool as she is then Gendry cant be the Sire (unless he becomes a Lord). You cant get more feudal then Westeros, last names matter. Gendry wasn't even acknowledged by Robert. And i guess its cool that he is a BWB, but Blackfish is the one i want to be there, or the hound

I was referring to our whole legitimising theories when I said "reaching." I've speculated about many things since I've started reading the books and yet GRRM always seems to find a way to make me go "What the hell just happened?!" xD

Unfortunately, you're right about the system of Westeros. I guess I'm just hopeful because I'm a huge AryaxGendry fan xP

I was referring to our whole legitimising theories when I said "reaching." I've speculated about many things since I've started reading the books and yet GRRM always seems to find a way to make me go "What the hell just happened?!" xD

Unfortunately, you're right about the system of Westeros. I guess I'm just hopeful because I'm a huge AryaxGendry fan xP

lol cool, I want Arya to have the sun the moon and the stars, so if Gendry can giver her that then ill apologize for my bastard bashing lol

Archived