[ADWD SPOILERS] The Lost Lord

Xray the Enforcer

My instant thought from this chapter was Ashara Dayne.

And she's got stretchmarks too!

But still reading, so nothing solid to go on either way yet...

This was also my thought; I don't mind the idea. I hated the thought of Aegon/fake Aegon being thrown into the mix at this point until I read this chapter. Now, I'm sold. I loved a development that I thought I would really dislike. I hope that he's a pretender - a False Dmitri, a mummer-as-dragon rather than just Varys' hidden-pet dragon - and that no one, not even Aegon (well, maybe Aegon, heh) figures it out.

And while I haven't enjoyed Tyrion of late (am enjoying his chapters, just disliking his character) I thought his plan was spot-on and am glad that someone is headed to Westeros.

That was highly unexpected. I do think that this Aegon is Aegon. I also think he's the mummer's dragon; Varys was a mummer, but that doesn't make Aegon a fake, it makes him the mummer's dragon -- not a mummer himself.

I agree with this one. I think the mummer part refers to Illyrio and Varys, especially when Arya saw them in King's Landing and someone (Ned?) told her they were probably mummers rehearsing their parts (did I imagine this?) and not to Aegon himself.

Not sure if I like the developments. I rather preferred when those who were considered dead - remained dead. Next thing we'll have Rhaegar showing up like "yo that was actually some other dude with rubies on his armor..." /hate

Not Rhaegar, Aegon the conqueror. :)

Absolutely.

Another targ (if he's the real deal) is a little too much deus ex machina.

Still, since GRRM commited genocide on most of the original characters, I guess we need some more people to replace them.

GRRM is as profligacious with manpower in ASOIF as Stalin was in WWII. If he doesn't watch out, Westeros will become an ice desert. But, hey, wasn't something like that prophesied?

What if lemore is actually LYANNA?

Lemore is about 10 years too old. Lyanna would be in her early 30s.

On a completely unrelated note...

Maelys the Monstruous actually had two heads!!! I thought it was just a legend to make him sound more... er... monstruous. But no. Two heads!!!

After finishing the book I'll have to re-scan this chapter for any R+L=J clues.

One thing that caught my eye was when Connington introduced Aegon to the company he used "firstborn son of Rhaegar". It may be common to use the "firstborn" title when announcing a king or someone of great importance, but isn't it widely known that Rhaegar only had the one son?

Just thought that was odd, and perhaps more fuel for the R+L theory.

Another targ (if he's the real deal) is a little too much deus ex machina.

It's definitely unexpected... but when I think of deus ex machinas, I think of random events added to solve a problem the writer put himself into. This definitely feels like something Martin has had up his sleeve for a long time. I really like the development because it changes my viewing of events prior to it (no small feat with the size of this series) while still remaining true to the story. That adds a lot of depth. All the explanations for keeping Aegon hidden (he's young, he would draw attention/assassination attempts to himself, there is no potential for gain in revealing his heritage) fit with why we haven't heard from him.

It makes me fear Varys even more, knowing he didn't put all of his eggs in one basket. If Daenery's died, and Varys might have expected her to at different points in the story, it wouldn't have been a total loss. Putting Viserys and Dany into a plot with the Dothraki seems like a long shot. Illyrio and Varys knew Visery's personality (the reveal of Visery's trying to take Dany at her wedding was illuminating), and they put all their hopes for reclaiming Westeros with a Targaryen into him and Dany? i don't buy it. I also don't buy that Varys or Illyrio really wanted to see a bitter, vengeful Viserys on the throne, especially since they had another well-balanced Targaryen being groomed for true command in the background.

Best case scenario when they made their plans would be for the Dothraki to raze the seven kingdoms... and then have Aegon emerge as a well-groomed prince. Viserys would have made a good tool for conquering... but as a ruler, he was certainly expendable.

After this book I really want to go back to the other books and see if this hasn't been somehow hinted at.

After this chapter I'm finally convinced, too: Young Griff is Aegon. I had hoped that not, though: He should either have planted hints in earlier book or never let those spoiler chapters out before. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm a bit annoyed that the fandom puzzled out a major revelation without any "canonical" clues.

And, do you remember the early PW review?

More characters are revived than killed off
That's exactly my feeling after about 400 pages. I count at least 5 people presumed dead being alive at this point. I'm not a friend of futile deaths, but this is getting a bit much.

And now, to immediately contradict myself (somehow): I nevertheless liked this chapter a lot!

Aegon is Elia's son. If Doran believes the boy is truly Aegon, he'll support him.

Hmm. I'm not so sure. Doran doesn't strike me as the kind of person who enjoys either surprises, or making quick decisions. I think he'll need a fair bit of persuasion and time. In fact, if Doran agreed to marry Arienne to Aegon, he might end up in a position of having two of his children married to two competing claims to the throne, should Aegon and Dany not reach an agreement.

This is, as it has been said, a game changer. Aegon, a guy who has only been in the story for half a dozen chapters, stands to ruin the plans of everyone with one bold move - I like him! I can imagine how Dany is going to feel when she finds out that a long lost Targaryen has arrived in Westeros and declared himself saviour, it will be like turning up late to her own party.

I also don't buy that Varys or Illyrio really wanted to see a bitter, vengeful Viserys on the throne, especially since they had another well-balanced Targaryen being groomed for true command in the background.

I agree with this, largely due to the fact that Aegon has apparently been raised knowing of the plan to put him on the throne. While Doran was plotting to raise up Viserys after marrying him to Arianne, Viserys was apparently never informed of this plan (or else he would have behaved much differently, one must imagine). That implies that Varys, at least, was not entirely planning to go that route. More likely, Varys was seeing Viserys's blundering about the Free Cities as an excellent diversion from his true plan. Pay attention to the Targaryans you know still exist. Don't even consider the possibility of another lurking about.

I'm not convinced Doran is aware of Aegon, and I'm not totally sure he'd be down with fully supporting him if he lands. His plan the entire time was hinging on Quentyn getting to Dany.

Even if he did know about it, Dornish laws make no gender distinction as to the succession laws, so in his mind Dany still has the best claim, right?

Either way, I thought this was a really cool chapter with a lot of promising plotlines to come. Definitely sets up the title of the book, that's for sure - I could see the Dance with Dragons (part 2) being Dany's claim versus Aegon's.

And like someone else mentioned, the grayscale at the end there was really sad. I was getting to like Connington. :(

I'm not convinced Doran is aware of Aegon, and I'm not totally sure he'd be down with fully supporting him if he lands. His plan the entire time was hinging on Quentyn getting to Dany.

Even if he did know about it, Dornish laws make no gender distinction as to the succession laws, so in his mind Dany still has the best claim, right?

Either way, I thought this was a really cool chapter with a lot of promising plotlines to come. Definitely sets up the title of the book, that's for sure - I could see the Dance with Dragons (part 2) being Dany's claim versus Aegon's.

And like someone else mentioned, the grayscale at the end there was really sad. I was getting to like Connington. :(

Don't forget, if Aegon really is Aegon, then he's Doran's nephew. I can't imagine that Doran would fail to support one of Elia's children. That said, he seems to be a suspicious guy, and it is entirely possible that he won't believe that Aegon is Aegon.

Also, even under Dornish law, Aegon's claim to the Iron Throne precedes Dany's. Remember, as Rhaegar's son, he takes precedence over the rest of Aerys' children. If Rhaenys were alive, she would precede Aegon by Dornish law, but she at least seems to be really truly dead.

Archived