[ADWD SPOILERS] Tyrion 7

Xray the Enforcer

Jorah's actions are much more inscrutible to me in this chapter. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to puzzle out what he hopes to accomplish by taking Tyrion to Dany (he doesn't know about Tryion's dragon expertise or anything). My only guess is that he thinks Tyrion can give her a good inside look at the Lannisters and King's Landing for Danys' strategy but surely that can't be his whole motivation...

I think the idea is that if Daenerys realizes that Jorah could have gotten his pardon and his lordship by taking Tyrion to Cersei instead (which would have been much quicker too), then she may understand that he's truly loyal.

I don't know how Jorah's expecting this to work though - he can't go to Meereen himself or he'll be killed. I suppose he could wait outside the city and send Tyrion inside on his behalf...

Also, the widow told Jorah he's not telling the truth... but he said exactly what I wanted to hear. Go Jorah, fight for her and die for her! Preferably heroically.

Hehe, and I couldn't help but notice those were some of the exact words he said at Dany's Pyre "I swore to serve you, to die for you if need be."

Why the old lady didn't like his answer is that Jorah was most definitely not telling the whole truth here - that's what she wanted, was some actual honesty. She wanted to see Jorah fall to his knees and say that he can't live without Daenerys, that he tried to give up on her, but can't... that he is desperate to get back to her, if only to see her once more before he dies. This is the real truth. He's not a knight motivated by chivalry and duty like he was trying to pretend with all that die for her stuff. He's motivated only by love.

When Tyrion hears that Griff et al are on their way to Westeros he reacts by saying that they "took the bait" and implies that he thinks going to Dany would have been a wiser course of action. Whats the deal with this? If he thinks its such a bad move, why did he suggest it in the first place? Simply to return to Westeros more quickly?

I don't think it implies that he thinks its necessarily a bad move. I think Tyrion thought that was the right course to prove himself to Dany, rather than come begging to her. But, if you recall the conversation, Tyrion was baiting Griff, by implying that he had nothing to offer her and hadn't proved himself. His baiting of Griff got him to follow the course to Westeros...hence he "took the bait".

Strategically Griff made the right play. When Dany lands with her dragons, she'll have a base to launch her attacks from. Griff will have much to offer Dany when he has already brokered allies, conquered land, and carved out a piece of Westeros. This alternative makes much more sense than getting the Golden Company to sail all the way to Mereen. Instead they can get a head start in Westeros and open the way for her invasion. Also by doing this, they are becoming more independent. If Varys and Illyrio can't control them, then they have a better chance at achieving an element of surprise. Much like what happened choose to do by sailing east.

Strategically Griff made the right play. When Dany lands with her dragons, she'll have a base to launch her attacks from. Griff will have much and more to offer Dany when he has already brokered allies, conquered land, and carved out a piece of Westeros.

fix'd to match GRRM's style. :D

I agree with this. I think Tyrion was right on when he suggested that Dany's sense of justice will motivate her strongly to get to Westeros ASAP once she hears a Targaryen has raised Dorne. Probably will get her out of Meereen faster than them actually showing up on her doorstep.

These R'hllor folk are starting to get a bit too eerie for me. I am keen to wonder how Mel is going to react when she hears that other red priests are calling not just for a different religious messiah to Stannis, but for someone who happens to be a political rival to the throne too. I wonder if Benerro are at all concerned or aware of the threat of the Others, and if so, if the red priest on the boat with Tyrion and Jorah will be speaking to Dany about it.

I think this is just what Red Priests do. They go someplace, pick somebody important, and start proclaiming them Azor Ahai reborn! If enough of them go around gathering up enough Azor Ahais, one of them has to be the real one, right? ;)

Tyrion's remark about Aegon taking his bait was curious to me, I thought his advice to him was genuine since he seemed to be quite fond of the boy. I guess this will still take a turn later in the book and have Aegon move towards Dany.

Why the old lady didn't like his answer is that Jorah was most definitely not telling the whole truth here - that's what she wanted, was some actual honesty. She wanted to see Jorah fall to his knees and say that he can't live without Daenerys, that he tried to give up on her, but can't... that he is desperate to get back to her, if only to see her once more before he dies. This is the real truth. He's not a knight motivated by chivalry and duty like he was trying to pretend with all that die for her stuff. He's motivated only by love.

This, this, gods this. Jorah and Tyrion arriving on Dany's doorstep is one of the events I'm looking forward to the most. Hopefully it will actually happen in this book and some other crap-type-disaster wont get in the way.

(Though this is GRRM, I should expect something bad to pop up to ruin my little reunion fantasy imagery. :P)

Really loved this chapter, best Tyrion one so far IMO. I love Volantis; the description, the smell, the energy, the temple and Benerro, the traffic, the East/West, the election campaigning... seemed real and fascinating.

"I'll gladly hire you as well, ser. My father's seat is mine by rights. Swear me your sword, and once I win it back I'll drown you in gold."

"I saw a man drowned in gold once. It was not a pretty sight."

That Jorah, always getting the best lines.

He does have the best lines. So glad to see him again!

These R'hllor folk are starting to get a bit too eerie for me. I am keen to wonder how Mel is going to react when she hears that other red priests are calling not just for a different religious messiah to Stannis, but for someone who happens to be a political rival to the throne too. I wonder if Benerro are at all concerned or aware of the threat of the Others, and if so, if the red priest on the boat with Tyrion and Jorah will be speaking to Dany about it.

I am keen to know how she will react also - it's building up nicely there.

Its also interesting how despite all his cynicism and outward hatred of the world, Tyrion still can't help himself in having a moral core... he worries over Aegon and his companions - he helped save him in the river at the risk of his own life - in the previous chapter he feels guilty after bedding the whore - he tells her master that the vomit is not her fault and is willing to pay for the ruined carpet. I was worries that Tyrion would turn into a villain, but I think that at his core he could not find it in himself to be cruel, despite how he tries to show how little he cares outwardly.

Yes, he did feel guilty after bedding the whore in the second chapter when he realised/stopped to notice how emotionally dead she was, though that didn't stop him 'spen[ding] himself in her' a second time.

I did like how in this chapter though, when he was chained to the iron post and in such agony in his wrists, that he thought of the pain both his father and Shae felt when dying.

I might be wrong, but I think this was the first Tyrion chapter where he didn't hear the twang of a crossbow. There were references to crossbows and Lord Tywin, of course, but at least he's not hearing things anymore. I hope that is a good sign. Tyrion's guilt trip over his patricide was starting to get annoying, though not as much as Reek's rhymes.

Overall, I am a bit disppointed with the Tyrion POV, because he is just getting pushed around, he is entirely powerless. Illyrio, Griff and now Jorah can basically do whatever they want with him, and not even his wit is getting Tyrion anywhere. Of course, this is a new experience for the son of Tywin Lannister, but I prefer Tyrion in a position where he at least wields some power. Should he ever get to Meereen, I do hope he becomes an important figure at Dany's court, possibly Hand. But that's just speculation, of course.

I might be wrong, but I think this was the first Tyrion chapter where he didn't hear the twang of a crossbow. There were references to crossbows and Lord Tywin, of course, but at least he's not hearing things anymore. I hope that is a good sign. Tyrion's guilt trip over his patricide was starting to get annoying, though not as much as Reek's rhymes.

Overall, I am a bit disppointed with the Tyrion POV, because he is just getting pushed around, he is entirely powerless. Illyrio, Griff and now Jorah can basically do whatever they want with him, and not even his wit is getting Tyrion anywhere. Of course, this is a new experience for the son of Tywin Lannister, but I prefer Tyrion in a position where he at least wields some power. Should he ever get to Meereen, I do hope he becomes an important figure at Dany's court, possibly Hand. But that's just speculation, of course.

And for the first time, he didn't ask a whore, "Where do whores go?" Funny thing is, she may have been able to tell him.

And as for Griff going to Westeros, that is action. If he went straight to Dany, to tell her what they could do for her, she would be right to say, "Words are wind."

GH

Really loved this chapter, best Tyrion one so far IMO. I love Volantis; the description, the smell, the energy, the temple and Benerro, the traffic, the East/West, the election campaigning... seemed real and fascinating.

Agreed! I was actually kinda worried that we wouldn't get to see Volantis when Griff and Aegon decided to make for Westeros. I hope we get to return there.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the idea is that if Daenerys realizes that Jorah could have gotten his pardon and his lordship by taking Tyrion to Cersei instead (which would have been much quicker too), then she may understand that he's truly loyal.

I don't know how Jorah's expecting this to work though - he can't go to Meereen himself or he'll be killed. I suppose he could wait outside the city and send Tyrion inside on his behalf...

Hehe, and I couldn't help but notice those were some of the exact words he said at Dany's Pyre "I swore to serve you, to die for you if need be."

This, I agree is what she wanted to hear; she could probably see it in his face and wanted to hear him be truthful. It goes back to what Shae was saying about how she could always recognize Varys because whores learned early on to read the man and not his disguises.

I was glad to see the mention of a red priestess. I don't remember anything but red priests being mentioned before and I was was starting to wonder about Melisandre, but I don't think she's ever been described as having tattoos.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone notice the crown, the one sitting in the shop window on a Purple cushion? So who was Ser Jorah thinking of getting that for...the widow or Dany? My guess is Dany. Do you think perhaps this is her mother's crown...the one that was sold? Didn't she tell Jorah about that? I think perhaps he'd have a better chance of getting back into Danny's good graces if he brought her mother's lost crown to her instead of Tyrion. Really, what is he thinking...how exactly is bringing Tyrion to her supposed to win her back? Not exactly sure what his thought process is behind that.

Did anyone notice the crown, the one sitting in the shop window on a Purple cushion? So who was Ser Jorah thinking of getting that for...the widow or Dany? My guess is Dany. Do you think perhaps this is her mother's crown...the one that was sold? Didn't she tell Jorah about that? I think perhaps he'd have a better chance of getting back into Danny's good graces if he brought her mother's lost crown to her instead of Tyrion. Really, what is he thinking...how exactly is bringing Tyrion to her supposed to win her back? Not exactly sure what his thought process is behind that.

Tyrion is a Lannister -- you know, the house that holds the Iron Throne and is responsible for the murder of her father, the sack of KL, the believed murders of her aunt and niece and nephew. I can't possibly imagine why Jorah would want to deliver him to Dany... lol

Could you be more rude! You do realize I'm not the only one puzzled by this decision of Jorah's? And maybe a nice explanation of your thoughts on this might be better than laughing in someone's face.

I must admit, I am a bit... puzzled by Jorah's decision. I don't think Dany has even heard of Tyrion before, I'm not sure he should really expect delivering him to her to be enough to take him back into her service again. I would really have expected him by the time he got to Volantis to have resigned himself to his fate and wanted to return to Bear Island for the rest of his days.

I agree with you Master of Wispas!

Archived