Goodkind L (That's 50)

Myshkin

nice quote from GRRM

I don't want to deny that I write in fantasy, I think I obviously do. There's magic and there's dragons and swords

ETA: I wonder if GRRM gave that 'definition' because the yeard considered SoT not as fantasy, while it had all the above :-)

But yeah, remember, Don't Feed the Yeard. Library or Second-hand if you must venture into the deeps. Also invest in some booze while you are at it, you will need it :grouphug:

Thanks for the pointers, Winged! And fear not -- I have a good used bookstore not too far away. :)

Are we still the Lemmings, now that the Tairy fans are catching up, or do we have to change to the Chickens of Abomination or something?

That sounds like the name of the fraternity that none of the cool kids could get into...

I'm disappointed in you people. You can't just up and change your name because your enemies MIGHT try and subvert it. Choosing a new name destroys the entire meaning of your cause, it throws into question the reason that there has been 50 friggin threads. Only through the strength of your thing can you look at those that lack moral clarity and say: fuck off already, we own this, we'll own you if you try and subvert it.

Goodomens is a nice guy, and he's actually funny. It also helps that hes not raving mad. But make no mistake about it, he is an agent provocateur. He is here to make you doubt yourselves, and to be honest, its working a little. But at the end of the day, this weird little micro-universe of the interwebes is entirely your creation, and no one can take that away from you.

So stop mincing about like a bunch of emo-fucks, grab objectivism by the balls, and ride that high horse into a burning red sun of overwhelming, universal truth.

I'm disappointed in you people. You can't just up and change your name because your enemies MIGHT try and subvert it. Choosing a new name destroys the entire meaning of your cause, it throws into question the reason that there has been 50 friggin threads. Only through the strength of your thing can you look at those that lack moral clarity and say: fuck off already, we own this, we'll own you if you try and subvert it.

Changing the name isn't an option. It would never stick with them anyway. Some of them do know how to use Google, and will look up what it means eventually. Until they spread the word, we can laugh at their ignorance.

To put this all on a more constructive path --

I haven't read any Goodkind at all. But with all the ongoing bashing round these parts, I find myself becoming curioser and curioser. So -- if I were to read Goodkind, what should I read? And let's break my question into two parts, to make it even more interesting: what is his best book, and what is his worst?

I personally would read Law of Nines first. If you take the entire Sword of Truth series, condense it down, and set it in modern times you would get Law of Nines. It will also give you a taste of the style the writer adopts half way through the series. It takes a pretty big swing somewhere around book seven. Book six is all about teaching the world to save it's self. Book eight on is more of a "I am not sure if the world is worth saving, but if it is, only I can do it, because the entire length and breadth of the world's craziness can't stand before the reason of a thinking individual." kind of thing.

Lots of people will tell you the series shifts after book four. While the preaching does take a ramp up there, the warm and fuzziness of the previous books dies after the sixth book. After that the world is broken into three categories. The in crowd, numbering in the dozens at most, that which is evil, numbering in the millions, and redshrits, who are the hundreds of thousands who either exist to die for the sake of the in crowd, or feed/arm those who die for the sake of the in crowd.

Besides, if you are going to buy rather then dig through your local library, I was in the bookstore last week and Law of nines in hardcover was $6.80. $3.25 for new paperback, $2.00 for used paperback. Saving money while indulging curiosity is always a plus.

Besides, if you are going to buy rather then dig through your local library, I was in the bookstore last week and Law of nines in hardcover was $6.80. $3.25 for new paperback, $2.00 for used paperback. Saving money while indulging curiosity is always a plus.

I think my local Boarders STILL has about 20 hardback copies of this book in their clearance bin. I'm surprised it is still over 5 bucks to be honest.

Goodomens is a nice guy, and he's actually funny. It also helps that hes not raving mad. But make no mistake about it, he is an agent provocateur. He is here to make you doubt yourselves, and to be honest, its working a little. But at the end of the day, this weird little micro-universe of the interwebes is entirely your creation, and no one can take that away from you.

like I said to some in chat and other via PM; its rather strange that a yeardite spends so much time in creating a website, designing a T-shirt and even being sanctioned by the Yeard himself. Lemminghood is being hyjacked, people. Within a year yeadites will walk the earth wearing lemmings of discord t-shirts like its a normal thing for yeardites. The original meaning of Lemminghood will be lost. Our art forgotten, literature lost.

Heck, history might view us as the real hardcore yeardites in a few years.

On another note. It is a warming and comforting thought that our influence stretched so far that even the Yeard himself had to acknowledge us as legit.

It just doesn't feel the same after the previous thread was wiped from existence. A broken link in this great long thread that we've been posting in for years. *sigh*

I'm going to read The Omen Machine. I still enjoy the books as easy to read page turners, and because they are unintentionally funny.

Archived