[ADwD spoilers] Shout outs to other works

Maltaran

Dolorous Edd always reminded me of Eeyore, but not quite so awesome (or four-legged), so that balances out! (Seriously, Eeyore's voice from the original Disney cartoons is Edd's voice, in my head.)

oh, Malt :lol (and no I did not get it at first. Congratulations!)

And not really a specific nod, and not sure if counts as "other" works, and it is almost too obvious to mention but the chapter with the 3 eyed crow reminded me a lot in atmosphere of a less depressing In the House of Worm.

Not a reference to another work, but I’m convinced that Tyrion’s final chapter is a self-insertion by GRRM referencing bookstore tours--signing his name over and over, and telling the waiting folks that he’s dancing as fast as he can. Frankly, it jarred me out of the book, but I can’t begrudge him a little self-indulgence, and I’m sure plenty of superfans enjoyed the in-joke.

Did anyone else notice the "lions and tigers and bears" reference in Dany 9 (p.689). Oh my!!!

Wizard of Oz FTW

Yeah, this was the only thing I laughed at through the entire book. Theon's chapters were so depressing that they put a damper on everything else in the book, even the funny parts.

I put down the book and started snickering at "useless as nipples on a breastplate" (paraphrase). Pretty sure that's not a a Martin original. Fuckin' George Clooney.

There was one small scene that seemed like a throwback to A Game of Thrones. It was a Theon chapter (not sure which name he was going by, perhaps The Ghost of Winterfell), where Ramsay gets out of bed, strides naked to the window, and throws open the curtains. I seem to recall Ned doing the exact same thing early on in GoT, and there is a good chance this is the same bedroom, though I don't recall for sure if that was established.

The Drowned God and Damphair really remind me of HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.

And with strange aeons even death may die.

And Dagon Greyjoy is a famous Greyjoy.

Dagon is the high priest of Cthulu.

This has been mentioned before, but apparently Ser Patrek, the guy with the blue stars as his sigil who Wun Wun uses as his own personal rattle, is a reference to the Dallas Cowboys which Martin was forced to include due to a lost wager (he hates the Cowboys). However he then proceeds to have Patrek killed in a horrific manner, so I think Martin came out the winner in the end. :D

I can't recall the book where we first get the information that House Wull has the heraldry of a bucket, but I've just twigged that it is very likely a shout-out to the scottish comic strip Oor Wullie. Wullie, of course, is famous for sitting on a bucket, and the head of House Wull is the Big Bucket.

Dagon is the high priest of Cthulu.

No, Dagon is a "real" deity of Assyrian or Babylonian origin. Lovecraft incorporated him into his stories, where the people of Innsmouth worship him (which includes human sacrifice) and in return are granted immortality (and a slow transformation into human-fish hybrid creatures).

Archived