[ADwD Spoilers] Where to send typos?

Eddard Stark

p. 174, 6th paragraph in the hardcover version

"For a moment Bran thought it was his sister Arya... madly, for he knew his little sister was a thousand leagues away,"

Arya is Bran's big/older sister.

p. 175, 3rd paragraph

"It *was* a girl, but smaller than Arya, her skin dappled like a doe's"

I think there are at least two references to the Children of the Forest having dappled skin, but I believe it is fawns (baby deer) that have dappled coats, and they outgrow those markings when they get older.

I can't give hardcopy pg number, cause I'm in too big a rush to look it up, but on my nook version, page 581, in a Tyrion chapter it says "hands of gold are always gold, but a woman’s hands are warm"

One would assume hands of gold would be gold, would one not?

Oops, reposting to this thread to make sure it doesn't get overlooked!

Ran, we caught a mistake in the Ghost of Winterfell chapter, page 613 in my hardcover book. When listing the number of fingers that Theon has been deprived of, the book says, "Ramsay had taken only the pinky off the one, the ring finger and forefingers from the other."

Forefingers should not be plural, you only get one per hand, and the book goes on to say that he has three fingers on the left and four on the right.

• 2 weeks later...

Location 16134 on the Kindle edition, first Cersei chapter, Kevan says Lancel is Cersei's nephew.

"You think I care about a cup of wine? Lancel is my son, Cersei. Your own nephew."

ditto this... I had to read the sentence 5 times but I still didn't understand why it was nephew there instead of cousin.

• 2 weeks later...

US Hardcover:

p. 301, 16th line: "No." How could I ever hope to sleep, knowing that my captain so close? - (that my captain IS so close?) or (that my captain's so close)

p. 322, 1st-2nd line: If Daenerys is as murdeous as her father, must I still marry her? (murdeRous)

I think the other's I've found have already been caught and posted: wroth issue, Erik/Eric, prince WHO was promised, and kingsmoot/kingswood (Erik/Eric issue, since previous poster wasn't sure of page: p. 338, 26th line).

UK Hardcover.

I know there are always going to be typos in books and that the editors, or whoever, can't catch everything, but there were some glaring errors that really took me out of it when I first read them. I've not got the book on me at the moment, so no page numbers, but the ones I can remember are:

Shakaz instead Skahaz

Mereenese instead of Meereenese

Bower Marsh instead of Bowen Marsh

I think there was a misspelling of Rakharo at one point as well.

Also the whole misuse of wroth/wrath really got on my nerves. I don't know why it's being used this way all of a sudden, the previous books used it correctly IIRC.

Edited for my own typo. D'oh.

I'm sorry, but I have to do this. :)

Cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Every book have typos. They are unavoidable, especially if the book is interesting (it much harder to do proofreading of book you find interesting)and people are in hurry to finish preparations so the book can go to print. (And I can bet after 5 years of waiting everyone wanted this book printed as soon as possible).

If I don't search for typos intentionally I hardly even notice them while reading. As long as I understand context few mistakes here and there are absolutely unimportant.

So no mistakes from me. :)

I SO agree, and that Cambridge thing was AWESOME! I had to put it on my Facebook. Thanks! :bowdown:

One thing that really bugged me was the persistent misuse of the word "wroth" to mean "anger".

Wroth is an adjective meaning "angry", not a noun. Wrath is the noun that means anger. ("You will face his wrath" vs "He couldn't think clearly, he was so wroth".)

Here are a few examples from the book (there are many more):

p. 53 "Even in the north men fear the wroth of Tywin Lannister." = "Even in the north men fear the angry of Tywin Lannister."

p. 730: "... those who lost their lives to the dragon's wroth." = p. 730: "... those who lost their lives to the dragon's angry."

Etc.

It's so bad, it's funny. :rofl:

But it kept on jolting me out of the story. :spank: And it's sprinkled throughout the entire book. I didn't actually catch a single instance where wrath/wroth was used correctly.

I don't know if it's GRRM's fault or that of an overzealous editor, but it needs to be corrected. A quick find&replace should take care of it.

"Wrath" is pronounced "wroth" in English English. Maybe he just wanted the word to sound English?

Pages 119&180-Via Kindle app for the iPhone-

Griff continuity-  he's described as blue haired with red roots and redder eyebrows but clean shaven- next chapter his hair and beard are blue and match the rhoyne as the sun comes up. Not outside of the realm of possibility (clearly they're traveling with hair dye and it's not unheard of for men to grow beards), but it was enough to make me look back at the original description of Griff for comparison.

A couple of these were mentioned already, but since I bothered to note exact locations midway through my reading, allow me to detail them for easier editing in future editions. These come from the US hardcover.

p777, paragraph 5, line 3. The whole "Tormund Giantsbabe" thing. Conceivably an intentional jape on Jon's part, but it seems out of place.

p810, paragraph 6, line 11. Missing left-quote mark in the transition from internal dialog to external dialog. "Haldon, send word..." Maybe the external dialog could start a sentence or two sooner, but it has to be in there somewhere.

p854, paragraph 1, line 5. Cersei's "I am beautiful, she reminded himself."

p869, paragraph 6, line 5. Since a crossbow takes a while to reload, "his chances of losing more than one quarrel would not be good." (As opposed to loosing his quarrels.)

p880, paragraph 3, line 8. "Ser Barristan sat along in the dark, listening." I've never heard that turn of phrase, but I sure have heard of sitting alone in the dark.

• 3 months later...

Archived