[ADWD SPOILERS] The Turncloak

Xray the Enforcer

Well I certainly don't like Lady Dustin at all but what she said about the North loving the Starks was cool. Pretty much confirms that if Davos shows up with Rickon that the north will unite under him although without those nasty Boltons of course.

I think Theon will get some form of redemption soon and while I don't think he will survive the series I think he will die doing something for the Starks.

What an interesting chapter... Theon seems to be a broken spirit in a broken home. One of my favourite moments was when he was kneeling before the heart tree, all he heard was sobbing. Now that we know that Bran can see everything warging a weirwood, these moments seem to be foreshadowing.

More foreshadowing could be the frozen lords of the North: Stout, Manderley, Whoresbane Umber and Lady Dustin. I am going to say that I don't think that these lords are long for the world and that the winter will claim their lives.

I was right about my suspicions about Lady Dustin hating the Starks. Although I had forgotten that her husband had died for Lord Eddard at the Tower of Joy. The bitterness of this character is quite refreshing, although I think it is difficult to agree with what she is saying (I mean she has a point) but she serves the Boltons (loses credibility).

I also think it is a little harsh to feed the bones of Lord Stark to her dogs.

Hopefully Theon will figure out that it was Bran and Rickon and their companions who stole the swords?

Brandon Stark isn't anything like Ned, in fact the two couldn't be more different. Lady Dustin is so jaded all she can think about is herself and her interests. I hope she burns in hell, because she needs to leave Ned's bones alone! (I think the Crannogman Howland Reed has Stark's bones with him).

What an interesting chapter... Theon seems to be a broken spirit in a broken home. One of my favourite moments was when he was kneeling before the heart tree, all he heard was sobbing. Now that we know that Bran can see everything warging a weirwood, these moments seem to be foreshadowing.

More foreshadowing could be the frozen lords of the North: Stout, Manderley, Whoresbane Umber and Lady Dustin. I am going to say that I don't think that these lords are long for the world and that the winter will claim their lives.

I was right about my suspicions about Lady Dustin hating the Starks. Although I had forgotten that her husband had died for Lord Eddard at the Tower of Joy. The bitterness of this character is quite refreshing, although I think it is difficult to agree with what she is saying (I mean she has a point) but she serves the Boltons (loses credibility).

I also think it is a little harsh to feed the bones of Lord Stark to her dogs.

Hopefully Theon will figure out that it was Bran and Rickon and their companions who stole the swords?

After reading Theon's chapters so far, to me, his bitterness towards the Starks appears to be demising. He argues that he has no love for them at the beginning of his and Lady Dustin's conversation but then openly states that he 'loves' them because he wanted to be one of them... a sort of twisted admiration, that to me anyway, he confused with hate at the beginning of the series, his jealousy of the Starks was what made him claim Winterfell, not to prove to his father his was worthy of inheriting the Seastone chair...I never thought this before until these chapters at winterfell. Theon wasn't a particular interesting character to me before but now he is, proving himself to be complex emotionally and I'm actually beginning to feel sorry for him! I never thought I'd see the like...it's Jamie Lannister all over again. I feel that we might see him redeem himself and perhaps even help raise the Wolves again. I thought of his lack of presence at the Kingsmoot and the story that Asha was told in the previous chapters, foreshadowing? Interesting possibilities. He may end up sitting the Seastone chair after all and ally the Starks...or is that too much of a happy ending? :blush: ha!

You know at this point with all the resurrected characters and such, it's not that much of a stretch to think Theon could take the seastone chair. We're past that point where characters die left and right, at least I think we are.

I thought for sure Theon would die in this novel, but he seems to be improving.

I agree, after taking Winterfell I thought he was a dead man for sure. The spoiler Reek chapter had me thinking he was just some crazy-flayed man who would be used and then snuffed out by the Bolton's but now I'm not so sure. Throughout these chapters we are seeing more and more of the old Theon creep through and less of Reek. He's gathering strength and if he does prove to be an anti-hero and helps with the Starks, he is gaining valuable insight into their future enemies.

Personally I feel for Lady Dustin -- She lost two potential husbands and one actual husband to the Game as played by House Stark. Her desire to deny Ned's bones a proper resting place seems to have more to do with payback to the Starks as a house than anything personal against Ned, which of course is why she's allied with the Boltons as well. What personal reason does she have to hold any loyalty toward the Starks, after all?

So -- the Turncloak of the chapter could really be her, or all three (Roose, Theon and Lady Dustin), if you think of it that way.

Well I certainly don't like Lady Dustin at all but what she said about the North loving the Starks was cool. Pretty much confirms that if Davos shows up with Rickon that the north will unite under him although without those nasty Boltons of course.

Agreed! Good chapter. Seems like all the lords could be turncloaks.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it my imagination or did Lady Dustin seem REALLY anxious to get her hands on Ned's bones. I wonder if there is some sort of magic in the bones that interacts once returned to Winterfell.

With the missing swords we get the foreshadowing that the ghosts of Starks past are wandering around Winterfell, perhaps they can also communicate with Bran via the Godswood?

I really get the sense that the Starks are a far more mystical family than we were originally meant to believe.

Lady Dustin seems to have a big mouth, whatever exactly she is up to. Why exactly is she telling Theon all this, other than plot exposition for the reader? I'd like to think she is putting on a show for him, the way the Manderley's were.

Throwing Ned's bones to the dogs seems a bit over the top,after all those years. I like the idea that she has some deeper, more interesting motive.

I think Theon will get some form of redemption soon and while I don't think he will survive the series I think he will die doing something for the Starks.

I got the impression that Asha had plans for him. He may survive yet.

Another great chapter! I think Theon is slowly re-gaining some of his former self, but I definitely don't think it would ever be plausible to have him on the Seastone Chair at some point in the future of the series. He has gone through way too much for that I think - I don't see how he could ever have the self confidence or stomach for it. Surely if he ever does reclaim his own name and sense of self, he wouldn't want to leap into that kind of position?

Also, Lady Dustin is quickly becoming a very fascinating character for me.

GDI, Lady Dustin! Am I the only one to find it bit strange how quick all these characters are to confide their deepest secrets (their hopes and dreams) to Theon?

Nope - it was a bit strange. Hopefully it is for more than just plot exposition.

Is it my imagination or did Lady Dustin seem REALLY anxious to get her hands on Ned's bones. I wonder if there is some sort of magic in the bones that interacts once returned to Winterfell.

With the missing swords we get the foreshadowing that the ghosts of Starks past are wandering around Winterfell, perhaps they can also communicate with Bran via the Godswood?

I really get the sense that the Starks are a far more mystical family than we were originally meant to believe.

Wow, yes - maybe there is something in that.

Archived