[ADWD SPOILERS] Tyrion 10

Xray the Enforcer

Did I read correctly at the end of the chapter that a peace was signed?

Yep! I guess the next Dany chapter should give us the details...or not, considering how much of a drag everything is w.r.t Dany.

What I liked about this chapter was how Tyrion came out with who he really is with the 'always pays his debts' and 'all the gold in Casterly Rock' part. Anyone who knows about the bounty on him will try to get to him, Brown Ben Plumm being one of them, for sure. But he has also put himself in mortal danger because his head itself should be sufficient for Cersai. Everything else was just filler for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I love how Tyrion's arc has been developing. I was so worried he was going to stay in his cloud of self-loathing and just hating on everything and every one, drinking himself into oblivion. Spending his time with Penny has caused a nice little turnaround in Tyrion where he is actually concerned with someone else's well-being and not just his own. Penny is like the sister he never had. He can protect her and she looks up to him and she doesn't treat him like a monster. Tyrion finally gets some validation and someone needs him. I was really happy to see him save Jorah (at least for the moment).

I'm wondering how they'll get out of this one. I'm thinking that he will be able to turn Brown Ben to his side.

I feel so bad for Jorah :(

Tyrion is still getting on my nerves but at least he seemed a little more humble in this chapter, and I agree with the poster who said that it's good to see how Tyrion interacts with other characters besides Dany who just judges people by how they look. Tyrion sees with his eyes so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...

* Cyvasse remains an important motif. I am beginning to wonder whether Tyrion's role in the story is going to be to set up the return of the Targaryen's, he gave Aegon sage advice which has caused him to move his 'elephants' into position - now he just needs to bring his dragon into play. Also its important to remember that in Cyvasse a trebuchet can kill a dragon. Note in the camp that Yunkai has 6 trebuchets...

Tyrion himself seems to think its possible but unlikely since the only weak point of a dragon are the eyes, or rather the brain but through the eyes, from what he read.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I suppose because I first saw Dany's POV about Ben Plumm, I've taken a liking to him, never mind that he switched allegiance. I'm just glad that he's okay (and that Daario didn't do anything to him) Hoever this chapter also proves that Dany isn't a good judge of character unlike Tyrion. She still has a lot to learn.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, from Danys chapters I pictured Brown Benn as this cuddly, funny man, and got a whole different picture from Tyrions chapter. loved Tyrion bidding on himself, loved him trying to help Jorah and loved it when it said he looked at everything and everyone.

• 1 month later...

While it is a bit of poetic justice that Jorah is now a slave, I am horrified by the situation they are all in. The fact that it is so easy to be enslaved in this part of the world makes me appreciate what Dany is trying to do. Thank God Westeros has outlawed the practice!

This chapter was thoroughly enjoyable. Tyrion's antics and the selfless act of saving Jorah were money! Brown Ben Plumm showing up was interesting as well. At least we know that Daario was telling the truth. He does seem to like Tyrion and I'm not sure if he knows who he is or not. It seems like he might since his last name suggests he's from Tyrion's neck of the woods. Could he become the Imp's new Bronn?

Looking forward to the next Danaerys chapter so I can find out what is going on behind those city walls.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like Tyrion is not concerned at all about being captured and sold into slavery. Penny is understandably upset, and as it was said, Jorah is "broken." But it seems like Tyrion is really not bothered by his current situation. Is this just Lannister arrogance or does he know something we don't?

While I usually agree that the Tyrion chapters (almost like the Dany ones) have been mostly very boring so far, this chapter is an improvement. Especially the meeting with Ben Plumm.

I'm so glad that GRRM did not make the clichéd plot device where Daario had killed Ben (as some conjectured) - this way it's much more interesting, since, as some have pointed out, it shows how poor a judge of character Dany is.

Also, I don't feel sorry for Jorah at all. While sending him away may have been harsh, some people on this board seem to forgive Jorah everything, when in fact, for all his merits, he's been an inconsiderate jerk often enough. He plotted against Dany (he sent a report even from Qarth!), he was too proud to accept that he was not her father, nor her lover, he treated Tyrion like shit for no reason at all, he is a gloomy character without humour that takes himself way too seriously, and let's not forget, he sold slaves .. again, just for a woman who did not love him (as with Dany).

While I liked him well enough before, the Tyrion chapters just showed me what a pitiful man he really is.

Don't care about the fat Yunkishmen and their prizes, though. They are just too stereotypically perverted for me to take them seriously.

• 2 months later...

Like many on this forum, I was sick of Dany's war on slavery and wanted her to head back to Westeros. This chapter was great as it re-visited the horrors of the slave trade, putting our "friends" in the middle of it. While I want Dany and her dragon is Westeros, I think we need resolution to the slave war before we move on.

It doesn't sound like her enemies are up to much. Maybe Ser Barristan stratagy to met them in open field is the best one.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else who sees an upcoming very interesting sitution when Tyrion performs in front of 10.000 people and is potentially being recognized by all kinds of people with all kinds of interests in him? Especially if he still thinks it's a smart idea to inform everyone of his true identity, hoping some headhunter will snatch him away from Jabb... eh, the yellow slaver dude.

Furthermore, I think Martin has a medical dictionary on his writing desk, randomly picking diseases to show up. Rotting from the inside out and turning yellow sounds a lot like liver failure to me, probably zirrhosis or liver cancer. Which would mean the guy's not going to be around for long.

Oh and another slightly off Topic thought...

Peter Dinslake has a 6 year contract with HBO for playing Tyrion (or at least so he said in an interview, joking it was "written in his blood"). But I'm afraid his current storyline will put him in conflict with his otherwise very strict policies about how dwarf actors are being shown in the public. Dinslake claimed he wouldn't read on and just read the script as he gets it, but I'm afraid he won't like the current developments. At ALL. Hope he doesn't quit on the show over that.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed this chapter very much :D It ended very well for me too- at least we see progress both in Tyrion's and Dany's arc. And sick as I am of Meereen and Yunkai, I apparently love all of Tyrion's adventures in any of the slaver cities, or basically everywhere GRRM puts him!

I initially really liked the Tyrion and Dany chapters in this book so far but now that there are not much left... :unsure:

The writing is great and the little "adventures", too... But if this is the pace for only a handful characters, I really don't know how all the stories from all the characters can be finished in only 2 more books. Again, the writing itself was great. But after the last Dany/Tyrion chapters I'm really starting to feel uncomfortable that Martin won't be able to "just tell the story" because basically every chapter something unforeseen happens which only drags the outcome. I don't understand why it was really necessary to enslave Tyrion. He will probably end up in Mereen anyway, so I don't know why to spend a whole chapter on this when there have only been 3 Bran chapters. I could have easily swapped this one with any other POV-character, too.

I've wondered for a while if The Bear And The Maiden Fair may actually have been written about Jorah and Lynesse...

Peter Dinslake has a 6 year contract with HBO for playing Tyrion (or at least so he said in an interview, joking it was "written in his blood"). But I'm afraid his current storyline will put him in conflict with his otherwise very strict policies about how dwarf actors are being shown in the public. Dinslake claimed he wouldn't read on and just read the script as he gets it, but I'm afraid he won't like the current developments. At ALL. Hope he doesn't quit on the show over that.

It is written in such a way that his character has sympathy for Penny and sees her act as humiliating so as long as that comes across in the HBO script he may be okay with it.

Very interesting to see his view of Ben Plumm contradicing Dany's- she needs him over there as her hand asap!

I think that Tyrion on purpose exposed himself during the auction....at this point he'd rather be caught by someone from Westeros who will see his true worth, and try to bring him to Cersei, because he knows that he can get out of it using his wit.

Or that he would rather a quick sword to the throat that a long life of slavery. I wonder at his decision to save Jorah; was it out of kindness, or does he have some alterior motive? Saving Jorah from the pits equates to him saving his life....he may want to collect on that later.

Tyrion so far is my favorite character; he's the type of man to survive in any situation.

Archived