[ADWD SPOILERS] Jon 10

Xray the Enforcer

Another interesting Jon chapter. The political situation at the Wall is so delicate, but I'm afraid that Jon isn't tactful enough to deal with the situation effectively.

* He has married Alys Karstark to the Magner. On the one hand this removes the threat of her uncle trying to marry her and also the threat that the Magner was posing to Jon (from Jon IV or V). Yet Jon is deluding himself if he doesn't think that he has brought the Night's Watch into the quarrels of the realm.

* Weddings in this book seem a much more docile affair, but the mirroring of the wedding between Ramsay and 'Arya' under the old gods and the wedding of Alys and Magner under the lord of light should be noted. They are very much two sides of the same coin.

* Karhold remembers - The north remembers; This book really should have been called 'A Time for Wolves'.

* I'm not sure about the timeline here, but are the two lyseni vessels in Braavos part of this fleet that has sailed from Eastwatch. Or are they another two random vessels? (The slavers that Arya sees).

* Selyse continues to be the most annoying character ever and I hope Axell meets Val so that she can slit his throat.

* I wish the Queen's Men would quit it with their prejudice of Satin :(

* Val returning is sure to kick the hornets nest; I didn't think we would see her again. Now Jon must contend with the impetuous Ser Patrek and the rest of the Queen's Men as well as the Watch who are rightly unhappy about there being more wildlings...

-> I think that Jon has sufficiently broken his vows that he could be removed from the role of Lord Commander and not be able to put up much complaint.

-> I think that Jon has sufficiently broken his vows that he could be removed from the role of Lord Commander and not be able to put up much complaint.

What vows has Jon broken? The marriage saves Alys and ties the Thenns closer to the Seven Kingdoms laws. The Nightwatch Men are the shield that guards the realm of men[/i, are wildings not men? Jon is just trying to get as many wildings past the Wall so they can't become wights/Others.

Bowen marsh doesnt have the stomach to try and overthrow Jon as the commander of the nights watch, but if ser allister thorne ever makes it back from his ranging Jons in real trouble then.

* I'm not sure about the timeline here, but are the two lyseni vessels in Braavos part of this fleet that has sailed from Eastwatch. Or are they another two random vessels? (The slavers that Arya sees).

I thought they were the two from Salladhor Saan's fleet that made it across the Narrow Sea. I wonder who is on them though ...

Heh despite what Marsh and company seem to think the job of the Lord Commander is not to slaughter all the Wildlings. In fact the Wildlings are never referenced in the oath at all.

Which part of the oath did he break?

My impression or Jon has been thinking of the Ice Dragon from Old Nan's stories way often?

Yes, I have noticed this coming up several times now in Jon chapters. And then there is that line where he says to the Tycho from the Iron Bank how he'd love to have dragons at the Wall.

I wonder if we will see something develop in that regard in this book, or if that too will be kept for future books. It seems that most of the big stuff we thought might be happening is not being reserved for this book, unless the last quarter of ADWD turns that around in a big way.

An Ice Dragon at the Wall would be very cool.

Didn't you feel your blood freezing in your veins after the second horn blow, as in "The Others are coming to join the Feast"?

I definitely did. Honestly, that probably would have been the best thing for Jon. As much contention as there is at Castle Black concerning his decisions, at this point I still think they would turn to him for leadership if the Others attacked.

As it stands, Val/Tormund will show up (both of whom are friends to Jon), and people will just get more pissed at Jon.

Jon broke his vows when he interfered in political affairs south of the wall. He had no obligation to protect Alys Karstark. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he did it, it was the "right" thing to do but he still broke his vows. Sending a raven to Stannis to warn him of Arnolf's betrayal was a bigger violation in my mind. He could justify protecting a young lady. But now he has signed his name in open support of Stannis. Whoever sits the Iron Throne at the end of the game (if there still is an Iron Throne) will not be happy (unless its Stannis or one of his men).

The Nights Watch controls the land within the Gift. The Karstarks attcked the Nights Watch within the Gift. The Nights Watch was only defending itself. Putting the Karstarks in the ice cells is a grey area, but there is some justification for it. They were breaking the king's peace.

As far as the raven goes, Stannis still has men at the Wall. They would have talked to Alys and found out about the treachery. Are we told it was John who sent the raven or could it have been Stannis' men? If Stannis' men had asked Jon to send a raven, that may not be considered taking sides.

Of course, you are right in that the Karstarks, Boltons, and Lannisters won't see Jon's side of this.

I don't think it was jon who sent the raven. Not sure if it was the NW or Stannis's men who sent it.

I think that the Daggers in the Dark will probably be something we never see coming. we can all see that the tensions between the queens men and Jon are hot, and him having the Karstark's, Marsh and Thorne not being his biggest fan. But it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilty for there to be someone who's not one of those people to try and hurt him.

Mance trying to rescue fake Arya is probably going to bring the wall even more into the stuff going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived