Favorite Parts from Book not in Show

Mista C

Lots of the dreams and flashbacks - I liked Dany's dream in one of her last chapters, Bran's coma dream, and Ned's semi-concious ramblings when he was in the black cell was amazing.

But the Tower of Joy flashback is one of my favourite scenes in AGOT so it's a shame they missed that out.

Also, Tyrion's battle.

But most of the dream scenes probably wouldn't have worked in the show, so I'm not too bothered. The show added a few scenes which I loved & felt like they came from the book - Syrio's 'not today' quote, Cersei and Robert talking about their marriage.

There's one thing I will never forgive people who made the series, and that's the little bells in Khal's hair. I hate they did not make it to the series. It's really a small and simple thing, it wouldn't be hard to make them.

And they have that beautiful symbolism to it. Especially later in the series.

I really think it's a big mistake not to have them on screen, too..

Whats with everyone and the Tower of Joy?, it was like 10 lines long and without any relevance to the storyline at all.

Well, its more about what wasn't said or shown. ;) What is this promise Ned made to Lyanna why does he keep going back to it throughout the book? There is some relevance or else why would Ned keep thinking about it? Its the mystery and the feeling that this promise may be very crucial to the main storyline. Its not the last we will hear about. When this promise is revealed, I believe it will alter the game in a big way.

Whats with everyone and the Tower of Joy?, it was like 10 lines long and without any relevance to the storyline at all.

Those '10 lines' are more chilling than pretty much anything else in AGOT....

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them.

“We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered.

“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” added Ser Oswell.

“When King’s Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

“Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.”

“I came down on Storm’s End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, “and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.”

”Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

“Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“Ser Willem is a good man, and true,” said Ser Oswell.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

“Then, or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

”We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold.

Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, shadow swords in their hands. They were seven against three. “And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” said Ned with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

...I mean, COME ON! It could have looked really, really good...

:)

Those '10 lines' are more chilling than pretty much anything else in AGOT....

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them.

“We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered.

“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” added Ser Oswell.

“When King’s Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

“Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.”

“I came down on Storm’s End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, “and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.”

”Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

“Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“Ser Willem is a good man, and true,” said Ser Oswell.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

“Then, or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

”We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold.

Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, shadow swords in their hands. They were seven against three. “And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” said Ned with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

...I mean, COME ON! It could have looked really, really good...

:)

In which Eddard chapter does this occur, I would love to re-read it.

In which Eddard chapter does this occur, I would love to re-read it.

I think it's Eddard Chapter Ten, when he wakes up after Jaime's red cloaks killed his men and he broke his leg...Can't give you an exact page number because my book isn't nearby, sorry.

I think it's Eddard Chapter Ten, when he wakes up after Jaime's red cloaks killed his men and he broke his leg...Can't give you an exact page number because my book isn't nearby, sorry.

Thanks, I'll look it up tonight, before going to sleep.

I've been thinking a lot about this, and I agree with you folks. Tower of Joy and Bran's dreams are integral enough that I would have liked them in there. Something tells me that they are trying to keep the magical elements to a minimum in the first season because the effects are more expensive and they didn't know if they'd get picked up for another season.

"Suddenly, Arya remembered the crypts at Winterfell. They were a lot scarier than this place, she told herself. She’d been just a little girl the first time she saw them. Her brother Robb had taken them down, her and Sansa and baby Bran, who’d been no bigger than Rickon was now. They’d only had one candle between them, and Bran’s eyes had gotten as big as saucers as he stared at the stone faces of the Kings of Winter, with their wolves at their feet and their iron swords across their laps.

Robb took them all the way down to the end, past Grandfather and Brandon and Lyanna, to show them their own tombs. Sansa kept looking at the stubby little candle, anxious that it might go out. Old Nan had told her there were spiders down here, and rats as big as dogs. Robb smiled when she said that. “There are worse things than spiders and rats,” he whispered. “This is where the dead walk.” That was when they heard the sound, low and deep and shivery. Baby Bran had clutched at Arya’s hand.

When the spirit stepped out of the open tomb, pale white and moaning for blood, Sansa ran shrieking for the stairs, and Bran wrapped himself around Robb’s leg, sobbing. Arya stood her ground and gave the spirit a punch. It was only Jon, covered with flour. “You stupid,” she told him, “you scared the baby,” but Jon and Robb just laughed and laughed, and pretty soon Bran and Arya were laughing too.

The memory made Arya smile, and after that the darkness held no more terrors for her."

That part genuinely made me smile. Made me forget about all the horrors that were happening and the horrors to come. A shining bit of happiness on an otherwise bleak, dark landscape.

Edit: Reading some of your replies, I very much agree with the Tower of Joy. A fantastic scene.

In the book when Ned leaves Littlefinger's brothel he is surrounded by Lannister guard and he hurt his leg because his horse felt on his leg while in TV series Eddard's leg was stabbed from behind while he was fighting with Jaime. I didn't like the TV version because Jaime kept him alive due to honor, while throughout the books Jaime always mentions that he has shit for honor.

Offtopic: I disliked that they added to the TV series some love relation between Renly Baratheon and Loras Tyrell (the Knight of Flowers). I have nothing against gays, but Loras sucking Renly's dick is out of place.

I suppose someone mentioned it already but in the last scene when Dany stands up from the ashes, she is bald because the fire burnt her hair while in the TV series the hair is still present.

In the book when Ned leaves Littlefinger's brothel he is surrounded by Lannister guard and he hurt his leg because his horse felt on his leg while in TV series Eddard's leg was stabbed from behind while he was fighting with Jaime. I didn't like the TV version because Jaime kept him alive due to honor, while throughout the books Jaime always mentions that he has shit for honor.

I know what you mean, but then again, I loved that Jaime and Ned got to cross swords. It's a great scene. And I think Jaime's honour is questionable: everyone in the realm believes he has shit for honour, but he does some pretty respectable things here and there.

I suppose someone mentioned it already but in the last scene when Dany stands up from the ashes, she is bald because the fire burnt her hair while in the TV series the hair is still present.

Yeah, but for the next season, the bit-by-bit hair growth would have been difficult as hell to get right. It was a pretty striking moment in the books but I'm not sure it would have worked for the show.

Offtopic: I disliked that they added to the TV series some love relation between Renly Baratheon and Loras Tyrell (the Knight of Flowers). I have nothing against gays, but Loras sucking Renly's dick is out of place.

I actually appreciated that they came right out with the two of them being lovers, because SO many people missed that subtext in the books.

I actually appreciated that they came right out with the two of them being lovers, because SO many people missed that subtext in the books.

Once I finish the the last 2 books, I'm going to re-read Game of Thrones. Seems I missed the hints, Renly Baratheon was presented as a younger version of Robert - the same brave knight and warrior so I supposed that he likes bedding random women as well. Now as I think about it more, Loras Tyrell always gave a flower to a beatiful maid after every tourney but it is never mentioned that he flirted with one.

Archived