Favorite Parts from Book not in Show

Mista C

• 2 weeks later...

-The Prologue: The show really didn't do justice to the book at this point, and missed the opportunity to properly intorduced the Others. I really wish they could have allocated more screentime to this scene instead of the gratuitous sex scenes.

-The birth of the dragons: could allso have used some more details, especially since it's my favourite part of the whole 5 books.

-"His name is Summer": if I had to choose, before the show aired, one line form the book which I was sure would be included in the show, I would have choosen this one. In its context, it was one of the most memorable lines in the book. Yet they left it out! Pity....

- and some other things allready mentioned...

The Tower of Joy scene.

Yep. So far it's gotta be the Tower of Joy. Such a powerful sequence, and why was it taken out of the show? Episode 6 starting with 3 minutes of a dream sequence, complete with ambiguity and Ned's companions looking like wraiths, would have been so epic.

Maybe it just wasn't in the budget.

Yep. So far it's gotta be the Tower of Joy. Such a powerful sequence, and why was it taken out of the show? Episode 6 starting with 3 minutes of a dream sequence, complete with ambiguity and Ned's companions looking like wraiths, would have been so epic.

Maybe it just wasn't in the budget.

This. Maybe you should be one of the shows directors :)

I really thought it could have worked, but then again, it's one of those things that if they couldn't nail, I'd rather they didn't touch with a ten foot pole.

I have only seen the first episode but i wish they left in the part where Dany says "yes" to Khal Drogo. One little word! So much transformation! They could have put it in.

I read an interview with Emilia Clarke where she talked about how the shows directors and her wanted it to seem more like rape than in the book, in part because they had difficulty buying the "sudden transformation" in the book, and it would have been hard to render it accurately on television.

Not that they couldn't or shouldn't have done it, but that's the justification, in any case.

I read an interview with Emilia Clarke where she talked about how the shows directors and her wanted it to seem more like rape than in the book, in part because they had difficulty buying the "sudden transformation" in the book, and it would have been hard to render it accurately on television.

Not that they couldn't or shouldn't have done it, but that's the justification, in any case.

Wow there are just so many things wrong with that statement XD

I think they could make the argument that there is a fine line between rape and reluctance (I don't agree. I think it is pretty clear that Dany was not raped, even if she wasn't exactly looking forward to her wedding night) so the scene was close enough, why not just take it all the way there?

But we're talking about a different culture here, the women might not feel the way we "expect" them to and maybe she kind of did want to have sex with her husband. Remember she grew up believing she would marry her brother who was HORRIBLE to her! I feel like the show going heavy on the rape inference takes a lot of fun out of it, and basically forces you to come to the same conclusion as the actress and directors did. It also vilifies Drogo to make him seem more barbaric. I guess the part I am having trouble understanding is why you would WANT to go the rape angle.

If the actress taking some of the credit for the decision makes it sound like she has that star syndrome of wanting to change things in the story so the character is more likeable in her interpretation...she should stop thinking so hard and get back to acting.

-"His name is Summer": if I had to choose, before the show aired, one line form the book which I was sure would be included in the show, I would have choosen this one. In its context, it was one of the most memorable lines in the book. Yet they left it out! Pity....

My most memorable quote was realised almost perfectly. "... the things I do for love ...". I was slightly disappointed at how they mangled my second choice, though. Tyrion's excellent "Never forget who you are, for surely the world won't.

Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you".

I liked how they handled the Drogo/Dany scene, because the first time they did it, it essentially WAS rape. That's how I read it at least. She didn't WANT to, but knew she HAD to. Over time, she learned to love him, but initially it was very much borderline rape.

Talking of sex, did we really need Maester Aemon (of all people!) having gratuitous sex with a character who wasn't even in the book?

Two of Arya's scenes that were in, but I wasn't totally happy with:

Edit: Having re-read the scene in the book, I retract the statement that was here before regarding Syrio Forel. It was pretty accurate, but it was still made out to be more humorous in the show, as opposed to the sad/tragic martyrdom that was alluded to in the book.

- Talking of profound and sad, Arya throwing stones at Nymeria to make her run off so she wouldn't be killed by the guards. In the show, it took one stone, which nailed her right in the face, and she ran off with Arya looking mildly displeased. In the book, that scene made me, a 26 year old man, cry. In terms of sad scenes, that one rivals the deaths of any of the major characters up until the end of A Clash of Kings, with perhaps one exception.

Also, you don't hear Daenerys say "I am the blood of the dragon" ONCE in the entire series.

I have to say though, other than these minor quibbles (and the fairly major one involving the brand new character and Maester Aemon), it's extremely faithful to the books, and is a thoroughly brilliant show in it's own right.

Talking of sex, did we really need Maester Aemon (of all people!) having gratuitous sex with a character who wasn't even in the book?

What?! Sam was in the book! And they were totally just talking when Jon walked in on them... honestly, it was really innocent (at least that's how I took it). :laugh:

I think you meant Pycelle, by the way. :P

Talking of profound and sad, Arya throwing stones at Nymeria to make her run off so she wouldn't be killed by the guards. In the show, it took one stone, which nailed her right in the face, and she ran off with Arya looking mildly displeased. In the book, that scene made me, a 26 year old man, cry. In terms of sad scenes, that one rivals the deaths of any of the major characters up until the end of A Clash of Kings, with perhaps one exception.

Oh, man, I completely agree! That was really, really sad when she recounted that to the Ned. I thought the show's version was good but the impact was definitely lessened. (I can sort of understand though, considering they said it was really hard working with the animals.)

Also, you don't hear Daenerys say "I am the blood of the dragon" ONCE in the entire series.

I don't think she ever (maybe rarely) speaks it out loud; it's in her thoughts really only as a device to calm herself or fortify her resolve (sort of like Arya's fear cuts deeper than swords).

Aye, I did mean Pycelle. I'm not sure if Aemon would be better or worse.. :P And that's a good point... I'm not sure she ever does actually say it. I'm just so used to reading it, I figured she must have. :P

There may have been one time, when she gets into a scorching hot bath and one her maids tells her that it's far too hot. But yeah... more of a thought thing really isn't it.

-The battles of Rob against Jamie and the one that Tyrion missed.

- The Tower of Joy

- The tournament not being as grandiose.

- Bran's dream

- Arya scene in the keep was better in the book than in the show and I really enjoyed it.

- Catelyn going up in the Eyrie and also anything Blackfish

- His name is Summer moment.

-Loras and Renly personalities did not came the way I saw them in the books. Loras in the show seems too effeminate and less manly and fierce than his book version. Renly in the book comes as more charismatic.

Archived