[ADWD Spoilers] Anyone else find the title misleading so far? (First 500 pages, Prologue to Prince of Winterfell)

BarrileteCosmico

Don't post information beyond the first half of the book, between the Prologue and Prince of Winterfell

But really, for a book titled A Dance with Dragons, we have seen them once, maybe twice in the first half of the book? A disappointment.

Don't post information beyond the first half of the book, between the Prologue and Prince of Winterfell

But really, for a book titled A Dance with Dragons, we have seen them once, maybe twice in the first half of the book? A disappointment.

Perhaps too literal an interpretation?

Perhaps too literal an interpretation?

It could be refering to Targaryens, which there have been plenty of. And I have read many books where the name of the book has not made sense until the very end without that disappointing me too much.

I for one I am really glad the Others and the dragons have had minimal presence so far, I was quite worried this volume would be more of a typical fantasy with the magical creatures taking centre stage, and less intrigues and character development, but so far it's not the case at all, thankfully.

I believe the title is a reference to Dany's suitors. They're not involved with/going to her for her, they're doing it for the dragons. Hence "A Dance with Dragons".

I'm about 67% finished on my Kindle, and while I've been enjoying this read immensely I have yet to see anything special or unique that couldn't have been summed up in a few lines or paragraphs.

I am enjoying it, but must admit to only really finding the stark and lannister chapters particularly compelling, (i count theon as a stark)

As GRRM says, it's about the journey -- if all that mattered was the plot twists, we would just read the cliff notes. It's about the experiences that lead up to these arcs that make the series what it is.

I've been enjoying this book a lot. Yeah, most of the beginning is traveling but I think that is about to change.

I'm enjoying the book a lot, but I think some of the story arcs are going even slower than others did in A Feast with Crows. Dany, Quenten, Tyrion... not much has happened with them (especially Dany). Jon's story arc is interesting mostly for information on Stannis. What I really like about the books is the political intrigue of the Seven Kingdoms and the warring there (we've been there for four books). So learning all about Th Slaver cities and Valontis just isn't my cup of tea. My tune can change though if something really interesting happens.

• 10 months later...

I read this on The Tower of the Hand site:

<quote>

The Dance of the Dragons

A conflict fought between Aegon II Targaryen and Rhaenyra Targaryen for control of the Iron Throne. It ended with the death of both claimants and conclusively established agnatic-cognatic primogeniture (inheritence of the eldest male child) in the Seven Kingdoms.</quote>

Whereas, the title of this book is A Dance with Dragons. So, I agree with the concept of the reading being the journey, and speculate that "the dragons" per se, are the Targaryans, and the dance is the characters' interactions with them.

I believe the title is a reference to Dany's suitors. They're not involved with/going to her for her, they're doing it for the dragons. Hence "A Dance with Dragons".

I'm with you on this.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate it when people say "the plot of DWD could've been summed up in in a few sentences."

Well no crap, any novel could be summed up in a few sentences. The details and dialogue and world building make the ASOIAF what it is, and that's what is great about the series, as well as the amazing story and red herrings and twists etc.

• 1 month later...

You can have the German title for it LOL snce we only get 'em in half books, we have two titles, the second book of your book 5 making the very end of our book 10 and the book 10 is ADWD in Germany, book 9 the first half of ADWD leading the way to book 10 is called the son of the gryphon.

Well at last it most turns out that not one of the ten book titles even makes sense. OH SORRY, the first book 'The lords of Winterfell' and the second 'the heirs of Winterfell' makes sense.

and Probably book 8 'the dark queen' since this was the dark side of Cersei from AFFC we got to see. But I hate they slpited the books into two here.

• 2 weeks later...

A Storm of Swords didn't have valyrian steel falliing out of the sky..... Just kidding.

I too noticed the lack of dragons, although I am not half way in yet, but I imagine it is titled that because the dragons are going to be playing a larger part soon.

• 1 month later...

I read this on The Tower of the Hand site:

<quote>

The Dance of the Dragons

A conflict fought between Aegon II Targaryen and Rhaenyra Targaryen for control of the Iron Throne. It ended with the death of both claimants and conclusively established agnatic-cognatic primogeniture (inheritence of the eldest male child) in the Seven Kingdoms.</quote>

Whereas, the title of this book is A Dance with Dragons. So, I agree with the concept of the reading being the journey, and speculate that "the dragons" per se, are the Targaryans, and the dance is the characters' interactions with them.

Now that you mention it, this is a good point, that the "dance" is the interaction between the Targs and other characters.

IT JUST HIT ME!

A GAME OF THRONES = overall battle for control of the Iron Throne

A CLASH OF KINGS = mainly Stannis vs. Joffrey since Renly is killed early in the game

A STORM OF SWORDS = when there is a major conflict, break out the weapons. all sides go to war with swords

A FEAST FOR CROWS = Bodies are dropping like flies throughout this book, and wild crows feed on the corpses

A DANCE WITH DRAGONS = Targ interactions with other characters

THE WINDS OF WINTER = Winter has come, the Others/White Walkers are rising, something involving them might happen south of the Wall

A DREAM OF SPRING = I have a feeling the series will end right before winter ends. The Maesters of the Citadel will meet to discuss a change of seasons but we might not know the answer

A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE = Oh, the possibilities...

Rhaegar Targ (dragon/fire) + Lyanna Stark (ice) = Jon Snow

Dany & Jon forming an alliance

Any others y'all could come up with?

Archived