The Wedding At The Twins

Lucreel

I was so pissed off and sad after reading this chapter.

I always knew that something terrible was going to happen at a wedding, I read it a while back. But with all the talk of Joffrey's wedding throughout the book I was certain that it would be at his. But no, my most hated character lives and my most loved dies :thumbsdown:

With Ned's death I always knew that no one was safe, so I've always wanted Catelyn to be made aware that Bran, Rickon, and Arya were alive because it would be cruel if she was killed thinking most of her kids were dead.. Then just as she gets so close to finding out her daughter is alive that happens. Devastating.

I just read the next chapter too, and every part of me was hoping that The Hound was gonna go and chop the shit out of Bolton and/or Walder Frey. But nope, something else horrible happens at the end of that chapter.

And that was enough to make me put the book down for a few hours and be devastated.

Edit:

What made it even worse, was finding out what they done to Robb's body. Was pretty disturbing actually. I was hoping that Grey Wind would somehow still be alive and had escaped :(

I'm pinning my hopes on Jon Snow to somehow kill the Frey's and Bolton's after finding out what happens.

I just read it too. I (no joke) got high from reading that scene. GRRM has BALLS! He had an entire faction eliminated in basically 4 pages! It was so crazy that I had to take a break after Arya's chapter just to absorb everything and take a deep breath.

When I started the series, I began choosing who I thought would die. I started with King Robert (it was called A Game of Thrones, come on!), and Ned Stark. It was clear to me that the Lannisters and the council did not share his sense of duty and honor. I then added Robb once he began his war. He gave me the "too good to be true" feeling. Tywin Lannister and Joffrey Baratheon are on my list along with Davos, and Ser Jorah.

In the long run, I believe Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen are the only protected characters. I think Jon will be forced to choose the realm over love (family, a woman, whatever) and Dany will sacrifice herself in some way for the common people.

I just read it too. I (no joke) got high from reading that scene. GRRM has BALLS! He had an entire faction eliminated in basically 4 pages! It was so crazy that I had to take a break after Arya's chapter just to absorb everything and take a deep breath.

When I started the series, I began choosing who I thought would die. I started with King Robert (it was called A Game of Thrones, come on!), and Ned Stark. It was clear to me that the Lannisters and the council did not share his sense of duty and honor. I then added Robb once he began his war. He gave me the "too good to be true" feeling. Tywin Lannister and Joffrey Baratheon are on my list along with Davos, Ser Jorah, and

In the long run, I believe Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen are the only protected characters. I think Jon will be forced to choose the realm over love (family, a woman, whatever) and Dany will sacrifice herself in some way for the common people.

Add Tyrion to that and I'm in agreement.

Add Tyrion to that and I'm in agreement.

Really? I feel like Tyrion is too witty and understands how to "play the game." He does have his weakness with his feelings, which makes him human and so lovable by readers. I think he will end up having to give up his loved ones to keep power and he will screw his father and do what is good for the realm for THE REALM, not his father.

Really? I feel like Tyrion is too witty and understands how to "play the game." He does have his weakness with his feelings, which makes him human and so lovable by readers. I think he will end up having to give up his loved ones to keep power and he will screw his father and do what is good for the realm for THE REALM, not his father.

I've been waiting for him to start plotting against Tywin ever since we first see them together back in GoT, Tywin is too dismissive of him... something has got to happen there eventually.

It's kind of worrying that he no longer has Shagga or anyone to protect him, and he also doesn't seem as close with Bronn anymore.

I had a feeling something bad was going to happen when The Hound said something along the lines of "We're going to your uncle's bloody wedding." to Arya, in the chapter before the wedding I think.I dont know if anyone else caught that.

I knew Robb was going to die sooner or later because I read that by mistake on his bio on the ice and fire wiki.. I was surprised about Cat dying. I had to reread the page where the fighting starts, at first I got really confused as to what was happening, why did Cat suddenly slap that man( forgot the name)

I've also just read the next chapter,

where it seems like Arya also gets killed... I found this even more shocking and I can't quite believe that she's been killed off ... particularly given that she hasn't done a great deal since leaving King's Landing expect wander from one place to the next. It doesn't explicitly say that Arya gets killed, so hoping that we haven't seen the last of her.

The red wedding was a tragedy. I knew nothing good could come out of that situation. when I read that the food wasn't so great but the wine n beer flowed like the rivers I had the worst feeling that his intentions were to get them all drunk n kill them with their defenses down.

I had a feeling something bad was going to happen when The Hound said something along the lines of "We're going to your uncle's bloody wedding." to Arya, in the chapter before the wedding I think.I dont know if anyone else caught that.

I knew Robb was going to die sooner or later because I read that by mistake on his bio on the ice and fire wiki.. I was surprised about Cat dying. I had to reread the page where the fighting starts, at first I got really confused as to what was happening, why did Cat suddenly slap that man( forgot the name)

Dacey Mormont (one of Robb's soldiers), went up to one of the Frey's after the bedding, when there were only the small few left at the ceremony, and asked him to dance like he had been doing all night, he snapped at her and told her that he was done. Catelyn noticed it and everything probably started clicking (the horrible music, the horrible food, all the alcohol, a lot of the Frey's not in attendance- and the Frey she was talking to panicking and walking away when she started asking questions.) So she went after the Frey that shouted at Dacey Mormont, when she caught him before he reached the door to let an army in, she grabbed him arm and felt the armour underneath his clothes, realized what was happening, and slapped him. Then the massacre starts

Dacey Mormont (one of Robb's soldiers), went up to one of the Frey's after the bedding, when there were only the small few left at the ceremony, and asked him to dance like he had been doing all night, he snapped at her and told her that he was done. Catelyn noticed it and everything probably started clicking (the horrible music, the horrible food, all the alcohol, a lot of the Frey's not in attendance- and the Frey she was talking to panicking and walking away when she started asking questions.) So she went after the Frey that shouted at Dacey Mormont, when she caught him before he reached the door to let an army in, she grabbed him arm and felt the armour underneath his clothes, realized what was happening, and slapped him. Then the massacre starts

Thanks for clearing that up! The excessive use of alcohol never leads to anything good in this book.

hahaha as soon as I read that part I thought the same thing. She's pretty much one of my favorite characters and I told myself if she's dead I dont know if I wana continue reading. I totally checked the chapters ahead to look for her name :)

I did the same :) I love Arya too much so I couldn't help it.

Thanks for clearing that up! The excessive use of alcohol never leads to anything good in this book.

Except reading about how 3 people passed out trying to keep up with the Greatjon :)

I'm.....kinda shellshocked by this...

I always thought that Stannis would end up becoming King of Westeros, because it seemed he was the most likely to be a stable ruler, although GRRM doesn't really like bowing to any obvious concessions.

Still, I had figured (or hoped) that the outcome would eventually be Stannis becoming King and Robb either being allowed his title as King of the North, or bending the knee to Stannis and becoming a Lord like Ned.

But this...

I don't get it! Why does GRRM love slaughtering Starks?? Hasn't that family endured enough?? I thought I was gutted when Ned died, but this is much, much worse. I think what made it so bad is knowing what was going to happen, because it was obvious. I've come to expect no good things to happen in this series, so at the wedding small things like Roslin crying, the food being bad and, most tellingly, the most sympathetic Freys absence, made me positive that there was going to be a battle, but I'd never DREAMED that it would end in both Robb and Catelyn being brutally and mercilessly cut down...I think I'll stop reading now. I read till the end of Arya's chapter then just stopped, out of depression. I've read some of the comments on here and can now guess at what they did with Robb and Grey Wind's bodies, and I'm sickened...I just can't see anything good coming of this series now. All the characters I love are slowly being killed off. I wouldn't mind so much if they died valiantly, with honor, a hero's death, but they all die because of someone else's deceit and cruelty. Christ, real life's bad enough without enduring all this bullshit. When Ned died, I had learned to stop expecting some kind of Lord of the Ring's type stereotypical ending, but even so I read on and on in hopes that there will be some great moment, some JUSTICE where the people who deserve it win out, and the people who are cruel and heartless suffer a death. Can I not expect this?

Is there any real reason I should even bother to read on, now? In the back of my mind the one thought I had was of course, Jon Snow will become King in place of Robb now, and will ride out and slaughter the Freys and the Lannisters (or at least Tywin, who I suspect played a part this in) but then, he didn't when Ned died, and he has his own battle to fight, so I imagine Robb will have no justice or vengeance, and if Tywin or any Lannister does die there will be no poetic justice for Robb or any of the Starks...

I think I'm going to bow out now and stop reading before it gets any worse. I just don't see that it's worth it.

I always thought that Stannis would end up becoming King of Westeros, because it seemed he was the most likely to be a stable ruler, although GRRM doesn't really like bowing to any obvious concessions.

Still, I had figured (or hoped) that the outcome would eventually be Stannis becoming King and Robb either being allowed his title as King of the North, or bending the knee to Stannis and becoming a Lord like Ned.

But this...

I don't get it! Why does GRRM love slaughtering Starks?? Hasn't that family endured enough?? I thought I was gutted when Ned died, but this is much, much worse. I think what made it so bad is knowing what was going to happen, because it was obvious. I've come to expect no good things to happen in this series, so at the wedding small things like Roslin crying, the food being bad and, most tellingly, the most sympathetic Freys absence, made me positive that there was going to be a battle, but I'd never DREAMED that it would end in both Robb and Catelyn being brutally and mercilessly cut down...I think I'll stop reading now. I read till the end of Arya's chapter then just stopped, out of depression. I've read some of the comments on here and can now guess at what they did with Robb and Grey Wind's bodies, and I'm sickened...I just can't see anything good coming of this series now. All the characters I love are slowly being killed off. I wouldn't mind so much if they died valiantly, with honor, a hero's death, but they all die because of someone else's deceit and cruelty. Christ, real life's bad enough without enduring all this bullshit. When Ned died, I had learned to stop expecting some kind of Lord of the Ring's type stereotypical ending, but even so I read on and on in hopes that there will be some great moment, some JUSTICE where the people who deserve it win out, and the people who are cruel and heartless suffer a death. Can I not expect this?

Is there any real reason I should even bother to read on, now? In the back of my mind the one thought I had was of course, Jon Snow will become King in place of Robb now, and will ride out and slaughter the Freys and the Lannisters (or at least Tywin, who I suspect played a part this in) but then, he didn't when Ned died, and he has his own battle to fight, so I imagine Robb will have no justice or vengeance, and if Tywin or any Lannister does die there will be no poetic justice for Robb or any of the Starks...

I think I'm going to bow out now and stop reading before it gets any worse. I just don't see that it's worth it.

The Frey's will get what is coming to them eventually, nobody seems to like them and they are all sly. And IMO Daenerys will be taking the Lannisters down when she arrives in Westeros.

I'm only a hundred of so pages ahead of you, but I can say yes.. something you mentioned in your post will be happening soon.. Read on.

The Frey's will get what is coming to them eventually, nobody seems to like them and they are all sly. And IMO Daenerys will be taking the Lannisters down when she arrives in Westeros.

I'm only a hundred of so pages ahead of you, but I can say yes.. something you mentioned in your post will be happening soon.. Read on.

I hope Daenerys doesn't get to Westeros tbh. As the series goes on, I find I like her character less and less. She's now probably my least favorite of them all. I'll read a few more chapters, but won't get my hopes up. I really liked Robb. I liked the relationship between him and Catelyn. I am so stunned they killed her. She was a great character for providing wisdom and clarification on certain things. I would prefer if Arya died, she serves no purpose so far that I can see.

I hope Daenerys doesn't get to Westeros tbh. As the series goes on, I find I like her character less and less. She's now probably my least favorite of them all. I'll read a few more chapters, but won't get my hopes up. I really liked Robb. I liked the relationship between him and Catelyn. I am so stunned they killed her. She was a great character for providing wisdom and clarification on certain things. I would prefer if Arya died, she serves no purpose so far that I can see.

I really liked them both too. Infact, Robb is probably my second favourite character from anything I've watched/read. Arya is another one of my favourites, I have really high hopes for her.. Their is something special about her I think.

Daenerys is a really good character but I'm not too bothered about her, I much prefer Jorah. She is definitely going to reach Westeros though, otherwise there would pretty much have been no point at all in writing her character and chapters.

But this...

But those are all what make this great. This is not one of Sansa's stories! This is legit! It's no fairytale with the good guys always winning. This is a battle to the death, and only the strongest (strength comes in many forms!) will survive!

These things make GRRM a genius in my mind. Stick with it, read til the end.

I would prefer if Arya died, she serves no purpose so far that I can see.

How dare you! I loved Catelyn's POV and was crushed when she died, but think of Arya. All she wanted was to see her family again, but somebody always ruins it for her. She is Ned's daughter, truly, but she has more fire in her, as seen when she killed the stable boy and the guard at Harrenhall. This is why I think she will be the one to get revenge for her family's murders. Remember, she recites the names every night for a reason. To remember those evil cocksuckers who need to pay for their crimes.

But this...

I just finished SOS a couple days ago, and the Red Wedding is definitely the bleakest part of the book. However, there are several very satisfying moments yet to come and a couple surprises as well that most certainly make finishing the book well worth it.

I just finished SOS a couple days ago, and the Red Wedding is definitely the bleakest part of the book. However, there are several very satisfying moments yet to come and a couple surprises as well that most certainly make finishing the book well worth it.

I have read the next few chapters after this and agree, don't stop now!

Archived