[ADwD Spoilers]The Mummers dragon

Another possibility... Tyrion is the mummer. He did learn to joust on dogback. And that would make Daenerys the mummer's dragon, wouldn't it? Granted, this stretches plausibility.

I think that Aegon is the best choice for the mummer's dragon in the prophecy; the question is, does that mean he's a fake dragon (a Lyseni or a Blackfyre descendant through the female line) or that he's the legitimate Aegon, and merely the puppet of the mummer we all assume is Varys?

But I thought Tyrion was the lion that Dany was warned about.

The Kraken and Dark Flame are coming together - are they not?

The Griffin and possibly Mummer's Dragon are headed away from Dany. Is it a clue that they are stealing what Dany feels is her's by right?

And in the House of the Undying,we saw the mummers dragon(fake dragon on poles,meaning it could be "Aegon"being put forward almost like a puppet) and Jon Connington(the grey skinned man on the deck of the ship smiling with grey lips)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dany said something that made me think that she could be the mummer's dragon. After she puts together Q being the sun's son, she tries to remember what else Quithe told her. All Dany remembers is something about a dragon, and wonders if she is the dragon Quithe was talking about.

Then again she does fly around on a dragon though so maybe not.

• 2 years later...
Why would she mention Aegon alone separately from Griff when she mentioned everyone in their "current = at some point in DwD" pairings.

Clearly they are associated with the Dornish. Someone who came with Qyentyn who could be playing at being a dragon (Blackfyre?

Or....

Mummer's Dragon = House Toland
(They dressed a fool in their lord's armor to 1v1 Aegon and changed their sigil to a retarded dragon eating its tail)

TWoW spoilers
[spoiler] havent read it yet but inAriann's chapter the Wiki says some Toland girl told Arianne she was dreaming of dragons [/spoiler]

• 7 months later...

Since The Winds of Winter is not on the horizon and I have nothing better to do today I'll revive this thread:

I propose that the Mummer's Dragon prophecy has nothing to do with the question who is a real Targaryen and who isn't. Instead it is a metaphor for Dany's and Aegon's roles in the coming events.

My reasoning is this:

In the first Dany chapter after the House of the Undying Dany explains to Jorah that what she saw: "A cloth dragon on poles", Dany explained. "Mummers use them in their follies, to give the heroes something to fight."

So: what she saw is that someone gets propped up as a dragon so that someone else can appear to be a hero and fight them.

Doesn't that sound like - the Blackfyre theory? You know - Viserys and Dany being supposed to invade Westeros with a Dothraki army so that Aegon can look a hero and come to the rescue?

Who is the mummer's dragon in that light? Not Aegon, since he's supposed to be the hero in Illyrio's and Varys' scheme (according to the Blackfyre theory that is). No: If we follow the Blackfyre theory the mummer's dragon is Dany herself.

Now this sounds neat - but there is a huge problem: Quaithe mentions the mummer's dragon much later in her prophecy in ADWD and the wording seems to make it clear she is talking about someone coming. If that someone were Dany herself that would be a little silly. Unless one wants to go meta and bend the wording of the prophecy to pretzels.

So either

1) the mummer's dragon in the HotU wasn't Dany after all (contrary to my above reasoning) or

2) the Undying and Quaithe only coincidentally used the same term but really meant two different people. Or

3) the mummer's dragon is a relative term, depending on point of view (i.e.: from the Blackfyre/Illyrio point of view Viserys/Dany were originally planned to be the propped up 'cloth dragon' with Aegon as the 'hero' but seen from Dany's point of view Aegon would be the cloth prop since she would be the heroine coming to the rescue.)

I tend towards no 3: From Illyrio's and Varys' POV Viserys and Dany were supposed to be a cloth dragon for Aegon to fight. But the metaphor is turning around and biting Illyrio and Varys on the ass. (Not least due to Tyrion's meddling with Aegon). So in the end the forum's (probable) majority opionion turns out true: Aegon ends up as the very cloth dragon that he was supposed to fight.

Archived