[ADWD Spoilers] Post here if you're an idiot like me

naz

There's nothing like the internet to make you feel alternately smart and stupid. In the case of this forum, it's more often the latter. This might be a somewhat redundant and/or pointless thread, but I wanted to get an idea of how many other people just didn't notice some fairly obvious things in ADWD until seeing people post about them here.

My list of shame:

- The Manderly Pie, baked with wholesome 100% natural Freys. No artificial flavors or colors. You'd think the Rat Cook mention would've tipped me off, but it just flew right by me. I really want a T-shirt now that says "Don't ask what's in the pie."

- Mance = Abel. If I could physically kick myself in the ass, I would have done so after reading about this in the forum. How could I not get this one? Totally obvious, yet I didn't get it until it was pointed out. Stupid. And the whole time, I'm wondering who the hell these ninja chicks are and why are they so keen on getting Theon and Fake Arya out of Winterfell all of a sudden?

- Rickon is on Skagos. Admittedly, I would've had a better chance of figuring this one out if I'd been in the book threads more in the last few years. I just assumed that the prevailing theory was that Rickon and Osha were going towards Howland Reed and left it at that. Wasn't as important a mystery to me, to be honest.

- Aegon may be fake. Again, I'd forgotten or just plain didn't read much of the previous theorizing on this one, esp. the bit about the mummer's dragon, which I simply forgot about. I took it as face value that this reveal was the genuine article, but after reading threads on here, he could easily be fake.

- Dunk in the Winterfell godswood. Seeing as I just read The Mystery Knight a couple of weeks ago, you'd think I'd get this one. Nope. Looking forward to some Dunk-on-Nan action in the next novella, though. (Ok, that sounds weird.)

I'm not a total idiot, though. I did manage to notice Bloodraven, the ship's name being Fragrant Seneschal, young Lyanna & Benjen in Bran's vision, that Septa Lemore might be someone of consequence, gay Jon Connington, and other things.

There's nothing like the internet to make you feel alternately smart and stupid. In the case of this forum, it's more often the latter. This might be a somewhat redundant and/or pointless thread, but I wanted to get an idea of how many other people just didn't notice some fairly obvious things in ADWD until seeing people post about them here.

My list of shame:

- The Manderly Pie, baked with wholesome 100% natural Freys. No artificial flavors or colors. You'd think the Rat Cook mention would've tipped me off, but it just flew right by me. I really want a T-shirt now that says "Don't ask what's in the pie."

- Mance = Abel. If I could physically kick myself in the ass, I would have done so after reading about this in the forum. How could I not get this one? Totally obvious, yet I didn't get it until it was pointed out. Stupid. And the whole time, I'm wondering who the hell these ninja chicks are and why are they so keen on getting Theon and Fake Arya out of Winterfell all of a sudden?

- Rickon is on Skagos. Admittedly, I would've had a better chance of figuring this one out if I'd been in the book threads more in the last few years. I just assumed that the prevailing theory was that Rickon and Osha were going towards Howland Reed and left it at that. Wasn't as important a mystery to me, to be honest.

- Aegon may be fake. Again, I'd forgotten or just plain didn't read much of the previous theorizing on this one, esp. the bit about the mummer's dragon, which I simply forgot about. I took it as face value that this reveal was the genuine article, but after reading threads on here, he could easily be fake.

- Dunk in the Winterfell godswood. Seeing as I just read The Mystery Knight a couple of weeks ago, you'd think I'd get this one. Nope. Looking forward to some Dunk-on-Nan action in the next novella, though. (Ok, that sounds weird.)

I'm not a total idiot, though. I did manage to notice Bloodraven, the ship's name being Fragrant Seneschal, young Lyanna & Benjen in Bran's vision, that Septa Lemore might be someone of consequence, gay Jon Connington, and other things.

I knew Aegon might be fake, but I missed all the others, including the ones you mentioned you did notice. Well, I actually had suspicions about Lemore. I also totally missed that Arya poisoned the coin.

nice thread, i'll add in myself about the pie thing

though i really have to quote this:

- Mance = Abel.

where you flying through the book? there's a whole scene that sets this up with explanation of magic and all all sorts of cool tricks

I knew the Abel is Mance, but I did not realize that Abel is an anagram of Bael (the bard who stole the rose of Winterfell).

I missed the Frey pie.

I missed the sun setting on the East.

I missed the bleeding star, but I still think it is either a coincidence or a misdirection.

And I think it is almost impossible that Young Griff is the real Aegon.

Don't take it personally, I missed everything to do with prophecies. Granted that could make me an idiot as well, but I don't like being an idiot so I'm going to go with: It's completely normal to miss a few things here and there. Nothing of important. Have a nice day.

It took me longer than it should have to suss out Mance = Abel. I mean, that one was really obvious. I blush to confess I missed it at first.

I missed just about everything. I mean, I thought of fake Aegon and gay Connington, but those are more questions of interpretation than actual obvious details. I got Benjen and Lyanna and Bloodraven, but missed Dunk, Skagon, Abel for a while, the Pie...

[idiot mode]

Wait, why do you all think Aegon is a fake?

[/idiot mode]

No idea, and considering that there is a 10 page thread discussing the topic I don't think it is "all". It is certainly not me, because I think Aegon is the real deal (Varys being the "mummer" to his dragon to make the "mummer's dragon" accurate). Which means he will die horribly and/or be useless.

Archived