[ADWD Spoilers] Post here if you're an idiot like me

naz

I completely missed the Frey pie and was clueless that Rickon was on Skagos. Also missed the poisoned coin.

Didn't put together Jon's stabbing and the AA prophecy, though that scene struck me as one that was strange in the "this all probably means something" sort of way, but rather than sitting around puzzling it out for myself, I went to the board and spoiled myself.

I didn't realize the pie (although I was sure the Manderlys killed them), didn't really sink in that Mance was Abel, which really was because I was flying through the book. (I.e. I should have picked that up, but I was starting to get impatient for something exciting to happen).

I knew Aegon might be fake, had a suspicion that Lemore was Ashara, but I've since backed away from that. Did not get the name of the ship could also be "Perfumed Seneschal". Again, because I was reading very fast. I did get that Theon was gelded.

Did not consider the "Under a bleeding star" thing for Jon Snow, but I did realize that dying could get him out of the Night's Watch on a technicality. I did have a suspicion that Rattleshirt wasn't Rattleshirt, and it occurred to me when he outfought Jon that it might be Mance, but I couldn't understand why Mel would have kept him alive.

I did not think that Quentyn dying == sun setting in the east. Honestly, I've thought that prophecy of Mirri was BS from the beginning - why do we have to assume that she was speaking the truth about Dany's childbearing capabilities in the first place?

I recognized that 3EC == Bloodraven.

I'm not sure about the timelines, but is it possible that Bolton's legitimate son Domeric was the first Reek? (Ric, Reek)

I chuckled in the prologue when Varamyr's shade startled the elk with the children riding on its back - I thought "Children of the Forest"? But later realized that he must have meant Bran and Jojen, etc.

I immediately realized the implications of Asha's consideration of the invalid Kingsmoot and Theon, but then she didn't know that he was gelded.

I did not think about how the coin might have been poisoned - I thought it was 'magicked' in some way.

I immediately assumed Skagos for Rickon based on the description.

I missed gay Connington, the Frey pie, and Abel=Mance. :(

Me too. But then I was FLYING through the books with impatience.

I did get the poisoned coin thing, and I got that Theon's cock had been flayed to ribbons. :stillsick:

Did not consider the "Under a bleeding star" thing for Jon Snow

What was that? I totally missed that.

In all the excitement about needing Targ blood to ride dragons and Selmy disclosing that Aerys loved Joanna Lannister and whether Aerys could be Tyrion's father, my initial read missed the point on p. 121 disclosing that Lannisters have Targ blood already.

Re the points noted above, I missed the pie, got Mance/Abel, did not get Skagos (and still am not sure how others did - where in earlier books does it state cannibals = Skagon?), did not pick up that Jon C was gay, very much questioned whether Aegon was real but didn't tie it to mummer's dragon prophecy in house of the undying, got Lyanna/Benjen and Dunk in Bran's dreams, did not get Bloodraven (I'm not that good at details of D and E stories, etc. So, I'm pretty but not entirely clueless.

I'm fascinated by implications of Ashara's "stillborn" baby, whom I believe to be fathered by Ned at Harrenhall, and who I'm now rooting for as Young Griff (via Ashara giving it up to Varys in KL for adoption (to avoid shame back in Dorne) or a secret plot as Aegon double that did not get done in time to save the Prince, with the circle around Pricess Elia's court told it was stillborn as a cover. I haven't seen evident Ned traits in the boy so this remains a wacky theory as of yet, but having Ned as father of lost baby and bringing Arthur Dayne's body home to her and carrying someone else's baby would give plausible reasons for her to kill herself of heartbreak.

I'd love to know who Septa Lenore really is. Another one of Elia's ladies in waiting?

(and still am not sure how others did - where in earlier books does it state cannibals = Skagon?),

The island sat at the mouth of the Bay of Seals, massive and mountainous, a stark and forbidding land peopled by savages. They lived in caves and grim mountain fastnesses, Sam had read, and rode great shaggy unicorns to war. Skagos meant “stone” in the Old Tongue. The Skagosi named themselves the stoneborn, but their fellow northmen called them Skaggs and liked them little. Only a hundred years ago Skagos had risen in rebellion. Their revolt had taken years to quell and claimed the life of the Lord of Winterfell and hundreds of his sworn swords. Some songs said the Skaggs were cannibals; supposedly their warriors ate the hearts and livers of the men they slew. In ancient days, the Skagosi had sailed to the nearby isle of Skane, seized its women, slaughtered its men, and ate them on a pebbled beach in a feast that lasted for a fortnight. Skane remained unpeopled to this day.

I missed the pie, got Mance=Abel, thought Rickon/Osha were on Skagos but got confused on technicality about how the mute guy (forgotten his name) would have followed them there and got back to tell the tale :).

Got the poisoned coin and poor Theon being gelded. Worked out that Jon C had feelings for his friend and Prince, missed the Jon and Dany prophecies especially the sun setting in the east. Missed Bloodraven but I dont really care about that one as I have not read the D+E books - nice that GRRM put it in as a nod to fans of those books, along with Bran's visions of Egg(?).

Questioned the identity of Septa Lenore, thought it might have been Ashara but was not sure. Which other highborn lady has been mentioned but their death is questionable? Lyanna? Was she buried? Also, that whole Ashara's baby thing is, I am convinced, a ruse. Have a crackpot theory that Ashara's baby was Ned's who was taken to Winterfell as Jon and R+L's baby is Aegon or maybe the other way round ie N+A=Aegon and R+L=Jon. I wont believe anything that someone says happened off screen.

WHAT?!?!?!?!

Re MMD prophecy

"when the sun rises in the west and sets in thea east" = Quentyn coming to Dany from Dorne (ie the west) and dying in Meereen (the east).

"when the seas dry up" = the Dothraki Sea appears to be suffering under severe droguht in Dany's last chapter.

"when mountains turn to dust in the wind" = less certain, possibly, the pyramids of Meereen that Dan's dragons destroy, or just in general the power of the Meereen pyramids being crushed by Dany.

Some baorders believe that these "fulfilments" of MMD's prophecy indicate that Dany is/was/can be pregnant and bear a chiled again.

The poisoned coin, Mance=Abel=Bael, Theon being gelded, and the perfumed senechal were all stuff I missed. I saw Jon's death for AA, but I couldn't make it work with the red star (saw the smoke and salt reference) until I came here. The most obvious miss for me was Arya warging into a cat. I could not figure out how she knew that the kindly old man was the one fighting her.

I did catch Frey pie (not until the Rat Cook part, & then re-read it again), Rickon on Skagos and Jon Connington's love for Rhaegar. I seem to have a high literary gay "sense" as this jumped out at me and I thought Renly & Loras's relationship was obvious as well.

I admit if I had not seen the theories as to who the 3 eyed crow was before ADWD I would have never guessed Bloodraven.

In all the excitement about needing Targ blood to ride dragons and Selmy disclosing that Aerys loved Joanna Lannister and whether Aerys could be Tyrion's father, my initial read missed the point on p. 121 disclosing that Lannisters have Targ blood already.

It does not say that. Griff asks Tyrion why he would support Daenerys given that "there is blood between Lannister and Targaryen"...ie a blood feud because of Jaime killing Aerys and Tywin's men killin Elia and her kids

Theon was gelded? Wow. Not only did I miss that, but I didn't see it on these boards until today. Although I seem to have recollection that he might have been, or was that just Ramsay threatening to do so?

I got that Theon was gelded. I got that Abel was Mance (though not the Bael part). I got Arya's poison coin. I had a good idea where Rickon was but didn't remember the name of the island.

Had no idea about the Frey pie, I was praying Manderly had the balls to poison it and kill everyone but when that did not pan out my mind lost it's suspicion.

Never caught Connington's affections.

I'm terrible with prophecies and historical stuff and missed everything concerning them. No idea about Septa Lemore, Young Griff's authenticity, MMD's Dany prophecy or the AA prophesy. In fact I didn't even try to work that stuff out because I knew it would all be explained here. (I'm a lazy SOB)

The biggest whif for me was on John's "death". I actually just assumed John was dead for good and mourned him as such, (though not too much as he was never my favorite character.) After all, this story has it's share of bombshell deaths and I was expecting at least one in this story, killing John for good at this point in the narrative would certainly qualify.

After coming here I know he probably isn't dead dead but I kind of hope he is, too many deaths are fake for my taste. I may be one of the only people here who feels this way but in my mind John's story is OK if it ends this way, especially if the result of his murder is the NW getting obliterated and the wall tumbling down as others pour all over the north. The way I look at it we had a very sympathetic perspective to visit the wall and get to know all the players with before they all die miserably. All this prophecy stuff can be loose ends and red herrings for all I care. But that's just me I guess.

Archived