[ADWD Spoilers] Post here if you're an idiot like me

naz

Oh, I think I'm up there in the World Idiot Rankings! (and I'm a literature graduate who did 3 years of university level textual analysis!) I blame my 2 kids and the fact that I gobble the books up as fast as possible rather than actually reading them :) and I have only read ADwD once as yet.

I missed:

* Mance = Abel & Abel = Bael - yep, missed both of them and was actually groaning out loud and hitting myself. There's only 1 group of a man and 6 women in the whole novel and that still didn't tip me the wink! D'OH!

* Rickon is on Skagos???? - Is he? says who? Aren't they all cannibals over there?

* Fake Aegon - again, says who? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me that the most famous dead baby in the Seven Kingdoms is now a grown man. Never thought to question that one, sounds pretty normal GRRM to me!

* Dunk in the Winterfell godswood - ???? Still don't know what you're talking about now, sorry.

* Bloodraven - ????

* Fragrant Seneschal - oh, beware the perfumed seneschal - D'OH! Just got that one now, well done!

* Septa Lemore - oooh, will have to look into that one!

* gay Jon Connington - nope, missed that one too, altho never get these, just assume they're really good friends :)

I got:

* the Frey pie though!!!! (Manderly seemed to be having a suspiciously good time eating the pie and then the Rat Cook.... altho does anyone else think Uggghhhhh!!!!

* Lyanna & Benjen - thought it was Lyanna and couldn't be bothered to research the chap!

And that's it!

Like i say, the World Idiot Rankings await...and the baby's crying, bye!

* Dunk in the Winterfell godswood - ???? Still don't know what you're talking about now, sorry.

* Bloodraven - ????

If you haven't read the Dunk and Egg stories that won't mean much to you as they are both characters who feature in those prequel stories.

* Rickon is on Skagos???? - Is he? says who? Aren't they all cannibals over there?

Yes, the Skagosi are rumored to be cannibals. Which is why Davos mentioning that he'd have to go to a place where there are cannibals is sort of a dead giveaway.

* Fake Aegon - again, says who? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me that the most famous dead baby in the Seven Kingdoms is now a grown man. Never thought to question that one, sounds pretty normal GRRM to me!

This mostly hinges on Aegon being the mummer's dragon. The term itself implies fakeness, IMO, though others disagree. There's also the fact that the mummer's dragon vision in the HotU was associated with the line "slayer of lies", which seems to imply that there is something fraudulent about him.

Anyone else catch Melissandre hinting at having Davos' figerbones at the end of her chapter?

"The bones(Rattleshirt's) help. The bones remember. The strongest glamors are built of such things. A dead man's boots, a hank of hair, a bag of fingerbones." etc.

It's also worth mentioning I just realized how ironic Ser Jorah being enslaved is.

Re the fingerbones bit, I'm sure there's more to this... However, Davos has POV chapters and people call him by his name so he's obviously not glamoured yet. Perhaps she'll create another Davos to do something?

Add me to the dummy list - I've only read Dance once, thus far.

Help please! :)

I forget a lot of the histories in the stories. I knew Mance was Abel, but missed the Bael anagram. Don't even recall the Bael story.

What is the AA prophecy again, precisely? 'cause I so do NOT want to see an undead Jon. Ugh.

Missed the Frey pie completely.

Missed the Asha/Theon, invalid Kingsmoot thing. Anyone mind elaborating?

Got that Osha & Rickon were on Skagos. Can't wait for the next Davos chapter. :)

What is the AA prophecy again, precisely? 'cause I so do NOT want to see an undead Jon. Ugh.

The Citadel has a nice page summarizing all the prophecies here.

A couple quotes relevant to your question:

"When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt."

"In ancient books of Asshai it is written that there will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him."

Missed the Asha/Theon, invalid Kingsmoot thing. Anyone mind elaborating?

Tristifer reminds Asha that there is precedent for a kingsmoot being invalidated because the heir to the Seastone Chair was not present for it. This makes her realize that she can try to invalidate the more recent kingsmoot by pointing out that Theon, the true heir to Balon Greyjoy, was not there.

Frey Pie- I mean good god how more obvious does GRRM have to make it before i pick up on these things?

All the gay characters in ASoIaF- This is just plain stupidity on my part I never picked up any hints on who was gay even though its heavily hinted at in the books and it makes perfect sense now that I look back on the series. The Renly/Loras one breaks my heart not because they cant be together now but because Brienne is one of my favourite characters and it just like can she EVER get a break? However its even more stupid of me to hope a character catches a break in this series unless discussing broken limbs.

Some of the things Theon had done to him- This was kind of denial on my part not wanting to believe someone could have those things done to them and god Ramsay needs his face ripped off.

Archived