I'm new here, so excuse me if I'm clumsy. I hope I won't step on too many toes ;-)
As I'm currently reading "A Dance with Dragons" on my Kindle and I have a terrible memory, I wish I could check AWOIAF with the same ease I can check the English dictionary.
So I set myself to work on this, and I'm halfway there!
Here's what I got so far:
- the whole cast of characters in one single document
- Kindle acknowledges the document as a dictionary
- single-word entries can be checked as usual, just by placing the cursor at the beginning of the word (e.g. "Melisandre", "Irri")
- multiple-word entries can be found through search (e.g. "Tyrion Lannister")
- pictures are visible! (this is my latest achievement from 5 minutes ago ;-)
As you can see, that's already quite useful! And of course I'm not doing it only for myself, but looking forward to share it with the community.
Unfortunately I'm stuck. There's a lot more stuff I'd like to include in this "Kindle Dictionary of Ice and Fire" and I'm having trouble finding my way to achieve it:
- automatic detection of multiple-word entries (or conversion of multiple-word entries to several single-word entries)
- display (or removal) of family trees (they currently block dictionary browsing)
- integration with regular english dictionary (no idea how to go about this one)
- integration of the rest of entries, not only characters (that's more a question of time, patience, and software not collapsing under the dataload ;-)
- plenty of other details we may come up with!
As you can see, I'm gonna need some help. Anybody interested in the idea? Feel free to reply or PM me.
Edited by dequesi, 19 July 2011 - 03:22 PM.