[ADWD Spoiler] The tom cat with the torn ear

Reggie

Why wouldn't it be obvious? We were shown that Arya can warg cats. We know Arya has a prior relationship with Balerion.

Apparently it isn't obvious to everyone, but it was the immediate conclusion that I jumped to, just like it was obvious to some people that Theon was gelded (not to me) or that Quentyn was the sun setting in the east (not to me).

I think that even if she's not warging Balerion yet, she will before the end of the series.

This next observation is a bit of stretch but here goes:

1. The cat with one ear cat scratched Joffery (same conversation Tommen has about cats...one of them anyway)

2. Joffery starts to dislike cats because he was hurt by one.

3. Joffery commits animal abuse and that crazy feline abortion

4. King Robert founds out and tries to punish Joff

5. Cersei freaks out.

6. The King's Marital problems further degenerate.

Arguably,with the insane logic I'm using, that one cat could be said to have hastened the events of AGOT by furthering the distance and coldness between the Robert and Cersei.

Of course! The cat is clearly a Faceless Man/Secret Targ/TPTWP! It all makes perfect sense! :D

In all seriousness, I think the cat is definitely Balerion and Bloodraven is warging into it to spy on the Red Keep.

Luckily he has Ser Pounce to save him!! :(

Poor Tommen. I really want him to live, to prove that there is still some good left in the world. Hopefully sent as a hostage or ward to a nice House where he can learn to be a man from someone who's not a Lannister.

I thought it was the same cat Arya chased but I didn't know he was Balerion. Are the royal quarters the same as they were then? It occurred to me he could still be looking for his girl. Very sad. Which could perhaps be foreshadowing that Ser Pounce may be looking through the other side of that window soon. Even sadder. Would the FM entrust a mission of that great an importance on Arya anytime soon? I don't think so and I do think Tommen is living on borrowed time.

the cat really has no essential part

That's the answer to your question.

Wait, no, that's ridiculous. Ned probably warged into it before he died and he's been attempting to assassinate Cersei the entire time.

It's in one of the final Ned chapters of A Game Of Thrones. Varys visits him to impress upon him how vulnerable his daughters are.

"Rhaenys was a child too. Prince Rhaegar's daughter. A precious little thing, younger than your girls. She had a small black kitten she called Balerion, did you know? I always wondered what happened to him. Rhaenys liked to pretend he was the true Balerion, the Black Dread of old, but I imagine the Lannisters taught her the difference between a kitten and a dragon quick enough, the day they broke down her door."

Alright, it seems to just be me but...

One is only a warg when they skinchange into a wolf! They even mention this distinction in ADwD (it was the prologue, and I tend to trust Varamyr Six-skins on the subject of skinchanging)

One is only a warg when they skinchange into a wolf! They even mention this distinction in ADwD (it was the prologue, and I tend to trust Varamyr Six-skins on the subject of skinchanging)

then what is it when you can see through the eyes of an animal like Arya does?

It isn't just you. I can understand why people say warg nonetheless, it is shorter than skinchanged.

In all seriousness, I think the cat is definitely Balerion and Bloodraven is warging into it to spy on the Red Keep.

I also thought that kitty could be part of the weirweb. But even if kitty was just a kitty, it could influence events. Tommen could get cat scratch fever, Cersei could trip over the cat and go headlong down a flight of steps, etc.

then what is it when you can see through the eyes of an animal like Arya does?

Technically a "skinchanger."

Anyone that can bind an animal is a skinchanger. Wargs are those that specifically and only bind wolves.

It's a narrow distinction and not terribly important.

I think it's cute that in AGOT Myrcella and Tommen was worried about the cat and shouts to the Arya "What's he doing to that cat?" and in ADWD Tommen calls the cat "a bad cat".

I also miss Arya being the second most funny character after Tyrion. Her descriptions of Tommen's and Myrcella's Septa always make me chuckle:

"A septa large as a draft horse hovered above them".

"legs as thick and white as marble columns".

It's a cat. It's probably Rhaenys's cat. But it's still just a cat. I doubt Arya is jumping into his skin to harass Lady Whiskers and Ser Pounce. Might she at some point? If she manages to make it back to King's Landing, I wouldn't put it past GRRM to have her meet that cat again. But as of now, the Black Dread of Catland is probably just a grumpy old cat.

It occurred to me he could still be looking for his girl. Very sad. Which could perhaps be foreshadowing that Ser Pounce may be looking through the other side of that window soon. Even sadder.

200px-seymourstill.jpg

-_-

This next observation is a bit of stretch but here goes:

1. The cat with one ear cat scratched Joffery (same conversation Tommen has about cats...one of them anyway)

2. Joffery starts to dislike cats because he was hurt by one.

3. Joffery commits animal abuse and that crazy feline abortion

4. King Robert founds out and tries to punish Joff

5. Cersei freaks out.

6. The King's Marital problems further degenerate.

Arguably,with the insane logic I'm using, that one cat could be said to have hastened the events of AGOT by furthering the distance and coldness between the Robert and Cersei.

Or, to read even more into it, that black cat belonged to Rhaenys, one of the rightful heirs to the throne. Balerion scratching and otherwise maiming Joff could be read as Joffrey has no right to the Iron Throne or to even be in the Red Keep.

Archived