The prologue

Bronn is God

Was anyone else blown away by the prologue? I honestly felt that these 20 pages were the pinnacle of Martin's writing and was the best chapter out of all the books (as CRAZY as that sounds).

Everything about this chapter was just so perfect. From Pate and his thoughts, to his companions, to the description of Oldtown, what was done at the Citadel, the chain forging, etc. Just wow.

Was anyone else blown away by the prologue? I honestly felt that these 20 pages were the pinnacle of Martin's writing and was the best chapter out of all the books (as CRAZY as that sounds).

Everything about this chapter was just so perfect. From Pate and his thoughts, to his companions, to the description of Oldtown, what was done at the Citadel, the chain forging, etc. Just wow.

Have you read the whole book? The prologue didn't really hold my interest, but I've heard that the prologue is more meaningful when you've read the whole book.

Have you read the whole book? The prologue didn't really hold my interest, but I've heard that the prologue is more meaningful when you've read the whole book.

Nope, still reading and the prologue is still the best part. It was the way it was written rather than the actual content. It was perfect.

This certainly goes to show just how different opinions can be, as I thought this was the weakest prologue of the entire series. Some guys hanging out outside of an inn and talking about the possibility of dragons while Pate daydreams about deflowering a barmaid. Then his selling of something to some guy and dying by...ummm not sure really, though presumably the other guy caused his demise. Doesn't really hold up when compared to death via Others, or Cressen sacrificing himself in vain to save his king's soul, or the Fist of the Firstmen being blitzed by evil zombies.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't understand what really happened...i know that the Pate boy in the prologue must had died then, but at the end of the novel, there he is again with Samwell Tarly, as well as other friends that should have recognized an imposter Pate, unless those friends were in on the whole plot from the begining. But what plot??

And it doesn't make sense to me, I can't imagine what mischief this imposter Pate could be up to, or who he is, or what he's doing, or if he's even an imposter....did I miss something??

I didn't understand what really happened...i know that the Pate boy in the prologue must had died then, but at the end of the novel, there he is again with Samwell Tarly, as well as other friends that should have recognized an imposter Pate, unless those friends were in on the whole plot from the begining. But what plot??

And it doesn't make sense to me, I can't imagine what mischief this imposter Pate could be up to, or who he is, or what he's doing, or if he's even an imposter....did I miss something??

If you'll recall from...ACOK, I believe, the man who kills Pate in the prologue is described almost word for word as Jaqen H'ghar's transformed self. This almost confirms that the Alchemist is a Faceless man. From there, it's no great leap of logic to assume that the Alchemist assumed Pate's form, and, with possession of a Citadel key, in order to carry out a covert operation in a locked part of the Citadel.

I thought it was fantastic. The characters were so vividly imagined that it felt like observing the interaction of a group of friends who know each other better than their families do. The description of their friendship was truly heartfelt. Another thing I liked was that it introduced a dark-skinned character with a significant role. Now that we've come to know and like Alleras I hope we'll see a lot more of him as the story unfolds. I've long felt that there should be heroes of color in works of fantasy for fans to look up to and root for. You know, you have to go all the way back to "The Wizard of Earthsea" series to find a racially diverse cast in a fantasy novel.

• 4 months later...

If you'll recall from...ACOK, I believe, the man who kills Pate in the prologue is described almost word for word as Jaqen H'ghar's transformed self. This almost confirms that the Alchemist is a Faceless man.

I do not like this idea, it seems very unlikely to me. Why would Faceless man start killing someone by... turning their legs into water? Eh? It seems too fancy from someone for whom murder is routine. Unless that is how a dagger hilt-deep in one's back feels like :D

When I read it for the first time (and the last so far) I felt like something more was happening there, which Pate could not comprehend either because it was something magic-like, or because... well he was dying :D

The first would make the idea about faceless man highly unlikely, the latter would very well allow it.

I do not like this idea, it seems very unlikely to me. Why would Faceless man start killing someone by... turning their legs into water? Eh? It seems too fancy from someone for whom murder is routine. Unless that is how a dagger hilt-deep in one's back feels like :D

It's what the poison on the coin he bit felt like. 'Twas metaphor, no limbs were liquified.

It's what the poison on the coin he bit felt like. 'Twas metaphor, no limbs were liquified.

Concur.

My notion is that this Faceless Man has been hired as part of the conspiracy Arya saw in the under-levels of the Red Keep (GoT). Not entirely sure what he hopes to achieve though? Are Faceless Men simply assasins, or can they be hired for any job? It seems to me that doing tasks other than assasination does not fit with their religious tenets but i could be wrong.

How does this sound: The Man With No Face kills Marwyn, impersonates him while travelling to meet with Dany, whom he intends to murder to prevent her return to Westeros. At this point I get a bit stuck as i've not read ADWD so have no clue what is going on with our little Queen.

Thoughts?

Concur.

My notion is that this Faceless Man has been hired as part of the conspiracy Arya saw in the under-levels of the Red Keep (GoT). Not entirely sure what he hopes to achieve though? Are Faceless Men simply assasins, or can they be hired for any job? It seems to me that doing tasks other than assasination does not fit with their religious tenets but i could be wrong.

How does this sound: The Man With No Face kills Marwyn, impersonates him while travelling to meet with Dany, whom he intends to murder to prevent her return to Westeros. At this point I get a bit stuck as i've not read ADWD so have no clue what is going on with our little Queen.

Thoughts?

The two people in the Red Keep are Varys and Illyrio, the latter of whom we know has been able to kill Dany at any time for years so that's a bit hard to reconcile.

Spoilers for last chapter of AFFC:

Our man Jaqen took the likeness of Pate, so I suspect his business lies with the Citadel itself

Their religious outlook doesn't seem to rule out independent activity, it appears their assassination line of work is more to keep a roof over their heads. What game they're actually playing I can only speculate and not in this forum.

• 2 years later...

i really enjoyed it because similar to the entirety of the book, it seems like a set up to the greater end...rather than in the others there was some obvious thing occurring with an obvious ending

• 2 months later...

I thought it was great as well! I am reading a combined version of AFFC and ADWD and both prologues blew me a way. Especially the one for ADWD! I skipped the one in ASOS for some reason. I need to go back and read that one.

I thought it was great as well! I am reading a combined version of AFFC and ADWD and both prologues blew me a way. Especially the one for ADWD! I skipped the one in ASOS for some reason. I need to go back and read that one.

Can you get me the chronological list of chapters between AFfC & ADwD

Can you get me the chronological list of chapters between AFfC & ADwD

Here is what I found online http://boiledleather.com/post/24543217702/a-proposed-a-feast-for-crows-a-dance-with-dragons

When I looked at it though I saw a Quentyn chapter before the Jamie chapter I am currently on. So I'm not sure which one is more accurate.

BTW I am really enjoying reading it this way!

I'm reading the Boiled Leather combo too and because of that, I've noticed Pates names being mentioned a few times in Kings Landing, where I might not have noticed him if I had read the two book separately.

Really? I might not be as far as you....or I actually missed it! lol

Pate is Tommens whipping boy. If Tommen acts like a little dick, Pate gets the lashes. He was Joffereys whipping boy too.

Interesting....I am not that far. Hate to hear he acts like that. Was hoping one of her boys wouldn't act like an ass!

Archived