Unanswered questions at the end of SOS (spoilers probable, do not read unless you've finished the book or do not mind spoilers)

Arya79

I thought it would be fun to compile a list of open questions at the end of SOS.

Here are some questions I'd like to see answered in the next 2 installments:

-Where is Benjen Stark?

-What is Jon's true parentage?

-Will any of the Starks ever reunite?

-Who is the fake Arya and what is her intent?

-Is Theon Greyjoy really dead?

-Will we see Syrio again? (My feeling in this series is that if they don't describe the death, it may not have happened)

-What does Littlefinger want from Sansa?

-How is Tyrion going to make it on his own?

I'd love to hear some of your burning questions!

It would be interesting to revisit this list when we've finished AFFC and cross off answered questions and add new questions. I will start that board when I've finished AFFC (or someone else can start it sooner if they'd like).

• Who is Varys really serving? What are his aims/goals?
  • What has become of Rickon (the youngest Stark) and Osha?
  • What became of Lady Maege and the other person sent as envoys to the Reeds?
  • What has become of the Greatjon? (That's *sort of* answered in the Epilogue, but not completely
  • Will Arya ever go back and find Nymeria in the woods?
  • Why is magic returning to the world? Why did it leave the world to begin with?
  • What did Stannis's fool see under the sea? Oh, oh, oh. . .
  • Did the Westerlings have their daughter win Robb's affections in order to break the alliance? That is, did they really betray the Lannisters, or were they acting in the Lannisters interests, or even on orders from Tywin? I notice that Tywin pardoned them (well, technically Tommen, but we all know who is directing the King) after Robb was killed - yet we're told he's ruthless towards rebellious vassals. . . makes me think the pardon is because they never truly rebelled, but he's keeping up appearances?
  • Did Tywin play any role in Joffrey's death? It appears it was just Baelish and the QoT, so I don't think so, but. . . Joffrey was becoming a big problem for House Lannister, and wouldn't listen to either his uncle, and it seemed like he was starting to push back against the Old Man too; I somehow suspect that Tywin might not be entirely displeased by Joffrey's death.

• What has become of the Greatjon? (That's *sort of* answered in the Epilogue, but not completely
  • Why is magic returning to the world? Why did it leave the world to begin with?
  • Did the Westerlings have their daughter win Robb's affections in order to break the alliance? That is, did they really betray the Lannisters, or were they acting in the Lannisters interests, or even on orders from Tywin? I notice that Tywin pardoned them (well, technically Tommen, but we all know who is directing the King) after Robb was killed - yet we're told he's ruthless towards rebellious vassals. . . makes me think the pardon is because they never truly rebelled, but he's keeping up appearances?
  • Did Tywin play any role in Joffrey's death? It appears it was just Baelish and the QoT, so I don't think so, but. . . Joffrey was becoming a big problem for House Lannister, and wouldn't listen to either his uncle, and it seemed like he was starting to push back against the Old Man too; I somehow suspect that Tywin might not be entirely displeased by Joffrey's death.

Oh, good ones! I think Arya and Nymeria will reunite. There was a passage in one of the books where someone was talking about a wolf pack led by a ferocious female. Arya thinks of Nymeria at that point. She also thinks of her other times. It makes me think there will be a reunion. Otherwise, why keep reminding readers of her existence?

Who is Varys really serving? What are his aims/goals?

I would love to know this. He seems very self-serving. He always seems to be playing both sides or picking the side that is most advantageous to him. I think there might be more to it, though. I look forward to finding out.

What is Davos doing? (Or did i miss this?)

There's more on that in the later books; ASOS kind of cuts from Dragonstone to the Wall and doesn't give much detail on Stannis's entourage.

I thought it would be fun to compile a list of open questions at the end of SOS.

-Where is Benjen Stark?

-Will we see Syrio again? (My feeling in this series is that if they don't describe the death, it may not have happened)

I'd love to hear some of your burning questions!

It would be interesting to revisit this list when we've finished AFFC and cross off answered questions and add new questions. I will start that board when I've finished AFFC (or someone else can start it sooner if they'd like).

I just finished SoS and haven't read any of Feast yet. But I wanted to start a discussion about your questions. Let me know what you think.

-I think Cold Hands might be Benjen but don't really have any reason for that thought other than a feeling.

-Since Jon's mother was mentioned to Arya, I do believe she will probably appear in the later books.

-I sure hope that at least Jon and Arya reunite. I'm going to be so pissed if none of them ever do.

-I don't think fake Arya has anything to do with marrying Bolton's bastard. I think she was just doing what she was told.

-The kids didn't see Theon's body when going through Winterfell. And I think that Jon was told that Bolton's bastard was holding him captive. Anyway, I don't think he's dead.

-Syrio. I think I cried more about him than I did about Ned. My thought is we will never see him again. Arya said something about him in one of the chapters and referred to him as being dead. Not that she knows for sure but there's been nothing else to lead me to believe he's still alive.

-Little Finger. My oh my. Master manipulator. I think he wants plenty from Sansa.

-I'm definitely a little worried about Tyrion but he does have a way with words and had is own little army for a while there so he'll probably be just fine. :)

Some of my burning questions are the same as yours but I think my number one question is what the hell is going to happen with zombie Catelyn?! I am so creeped out by that and horrified at the thought of any of her children seeing her that way. Aaah!

I'm very curious to see what happens with Bran as well. I have a feeling he's going to become quite powerful.

I apologize if this is a dumb question...but when did Jon find out about Robb and Catelyn? I went back over the "Jon" chapters that were after the wedding and I did not see any information. Obviously, I missed something!

The Red Wedding was being trumpeted all over the land. Some message must have made it's way north. The Wall, being where it is, tends to receive these news reports several months late.

I apologize if this is a dumb question...but when did Jon find out about Robb and Catelyn? I went back over the "Jon" chapters that were after the wedding and I did not see any information. Obviously, I missed something!

I thought he received the news when he was getting treated for his leg.

Maester Aemon informs Jon of this when he is treating his arrow wound, after he has escaped from the wildlings and returns to the Wall.

IMO:

-Where is Benjen Stark?

It sounds logical that Coldhands can be Benjen, but I somehow think it is some more elderly Night Watch man who got buried when magic receded from the world, and was reawakened when magic started to come back.

His mother is briefly mentioned as a wet nurse for a Dornish Lord (Ned's father - Ned, who is the squire to Lord Beric) in one of Arya's chapters, but then not much is known about Dorne as yet. So open-ended.

Maybe. Now that Bran is beyond the Wall and will have to return at some point, it seems likely he and Jon will meet. Jon and Rickon's meet is also likely since Osha was on her way to one of the northern lord's castle and once she reaches (and they survive, now that Robb has fallen), then someone might send a raven to the Wall. About the two girls, I have no idea.

I don't think she has much of an active role. She was just a pawn. Tywin mentions in one of Jaime's chapters that Roose Bolton knew about the fake Arya and this is just something to satiate his bastard son.

Nope. Roose Bolton informs Robb (during the Red Wedding chapter) that he is alive and captured by Ramsey Bolton, and that he might be useful when dealing with the Ironmen. Don't know whether this is the truth or a lie, because nothing has been mentioned of Theon after that, and Bolton betrays Robb soon after.

The books do not make this obvious, but in the TV series, we see Arya wincing as she flees the scene and her expressions and the sound of sword slashing in the backgroud makes me think he was killed.

By killing Lysa, he is essentially Lord of the Eyrie and everything that comes with it. I think he intends to wed Sansa so that even the North will be his.

Well, Tyrion's story arc should be very interesting to follow.

(filler)

Stannis mentions to Davos that he aims to sets the realm right and that Varys should should have been killed for his deeds. Although there is no mention what these were.

Yep, me also curious.

Yep, me also curious.

It is mentioned in the Epilogue that he was captured.

She dreams the wolf dreams during her wanderings and the only dire-wolf without a master is Nymeria. But now Arya is on her way to Braavos, so it would be very interesting to see how they are reunited.

Ygritte mentions to Jon that they dug up many of the old graves and woke up what lay beneath in search for the Horn of Winter. Maybe this pertains to the Others returning.

Yep, me also curious.

I was thinking along the same lines, and that Tywin was involved. My thinking, up until RW, was that the Westerliings' plot was to kill Robb after gaining his trust, either after he gave Jeyne a son, or whenever Tywin asked them to. I guess Tywin sensed a better chance at the twins when Walder Frey might have contacted him, and went for that instead.

Nope, Littlefinger makes it clear that it was him and the QoT. Tywin did want to discipline Joff but I don't think he would have wanted to kill him.

Im pretty sure Varys serves "the realm." Which I interpret as meaning that he serves the true king/queen, or daenerys. That scene in a Game of Thrones where he is talking to Illyrio I believe reveals a lot. He has a huge part in this war weakening the kingdom

Magic is returning to the world because of dragons i do believe. There is a part in A Clash of Kings where the pyromancers are talking about how easily it is to make wildfire where before it took a lot longer than and was much more dangerous. It probably left with the extinction of the dragons.

I have a theory about Jon's true parentage.

I believe he is not the bastard son of Ned but the bastard son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar.

I came to this notion due to the following:

Rhaegar could've loved (or just raped) Lyanna.

Lyanna's last ominous words to Ned were "Promise me, Ned" (like promise me you'll take care of Jon, or something to that effect)

Ned wouldn't tell Robert about the mother of Jon. (i think it would've hurt him)

My theory has a few holes in it, but man would this be an awesome plot.

Im pretty sure Varys serves "the realm." Which I interpret as meaning that he serves the true king/queen, or daenerys. That scene in a Game of Thrones where he is talking to Illyrio I believe reveals a lot. He has a huge part in this war weakening the kingdom

Magic is returning to the world because of dragons i do believe. There is a part in A Clash of Kings where the pyromancers are talking about how easily it is to make wildfire where before it took a lot longer than and was much more dangerous. It probably left with the extinction of the dragons.

The feeling I get from Varys is that he serves himself and none other. He's surviving and playing them all. What his intentions are I have no idea...

I do remember in one of the books someone specifically saying that magic started to leave the world when all of the dragons died. That leads me to believe that magic is returning because the dragons have returned.

I do remember in one of the books someone specifically saying that magic started to leave the world when all of the dragons died. That leads me to believe that magic is returning because the dragons have returned.

Two things having a direct correlation does not tell you which direction the correlation works in. You observe that A and B happen at the same time. Well, A could cause B, or just as equally truly, B could cause A.

I believe that the dragons died out because magic left the world (and they are creatures of magic), I also think the dragons are now returning because magic is returning to the world.

I also have this to support my theory:

A ) Why did the dragons return? It makes sense that if the loss of magic caused the loss of dragons, then the return of magic allows for the return of dragons.

B ) We start to see magic returning to the world right from the beginning of GoT: the White Walkers and the Zombies are clearly magical. The ability of Brandon to 'link' to his direwolf is clearly magical - that happened before the hatching of the dragons. The dragons did not hatch until the very end of GoT.

I *suppose* that you could argue that the dragons had already become active in their shells during the whole time of GoT, and that they just hatched at the end, but that's pretty hard to argue in either direction at this point.

Anyhow, nothing conclusive, but I would say that you should keep your mind open that the statement from the Pyromancer shows an interesting correlation, but does not tell us anything about which was the cause and which was the effect.

C) An argument from literature: Writers love to throw in statements like that where one interpretation is *favored* by the way they carefully phrased it, but the less obvious interpretation is equally valid, and the less-obvious one usually ends up being correct. . . so they can try to surprise the reader.

• 2 weeks later...

A few more questions I hope we get answers to:

• Is Gendry a bastard or trueborn? -- could Gendry be Cersei & Robert's son who supposedly died in infancy? The Gold Cloaks came after him when he left King's Landing, and it does seem like there must have been a reason for it. That said, I suspect that this won't be addressed - I can't see that, even if he was a trueborn Baratheon, it would make any difference at this juncture.
  • Is The Hound dead?
  • What sort of experiments have The Others been conducting at the Hydra station? (oops... sorry, wrong Others)
  • Who are the real 'players' in the Game of Thrones? -- Littlefinger is one, Varys another.. are they competing or working together? Both have conspired to send Westeros into a state of war. In some ways, I can't help but get a sense that deep-down Varys is a 'good guy' but def. couldn't say the same of Littlefinger.
  • Is Sansa ever going to catch a break?

My thoughts on a few of the questions above:

• Where is Benjen Stark? - I don't think Cold Hands is Ben Stark (I think Cold Hands could be The Night King, or a descendant of).
  • What is Jon's true parentage? - I don't buy the whole "R + L" thing... I think it is as plain as already stated. Ned Stark is his father, a wet nurse called Wylla is his month
  • Will we see Syrio again? - Sadly, I think he was killed at King's Landing

[*]Is Gendry a bastard or trueborn? -- could Gendry be Cersei & Robert's son who supposedly died in infancy? The Gold Cloaks came after him when he left King's Landing, and it does seem like there must have been a reason for it. That said, I suspect that this won't be addressed - I can't see that, even if he was a trueborn Baratheon, it would make any difference at this juncture.

I believe you are combining the TV show and the books. In the books Cersei and Robert don't have a son who died in infancy, that was in the show. In the books Cersei gets an abortion when she falls pregnant by Robert. But we all know how American's get when the subject of abortion comes up, so HBO had to change things up a bit ;)

I believe you are combining the TV show and the books. In the books Cersei and Robert don't have a son who died in infancy, that was in the show. In the books Cersei gets an abortion when she falls pregnant by Robert. But we all know how American's get when the subject of abortion comes up, so HBO had to change things up a bit ;)

Really? My mistake.. I must have missed that differentiation in the books.

Archived