Unanswered questions at the end of SOS (spoilers probable, do not read unless you've finished the book or do not mind spoilers)

Arya79

[*]What sort of experiments have The Others been conducting at the Hydra station? (oops... sorry, wrong Others)

:laugh: Brilliant!

Some interesting questions being brought up here. The Coldhands character is so odd, but if he was Benjen Stark wouldn't Bran recognize him? I can't remember if we get to see them meet at the end of ASoS or not.

I hope you don't mind if I post this message here. It is an unanswered question for me, at least. I couldn't find this issue addressed elsewhere on the forum (but without the ability to search it's hard to tell).

I have finished the first four books, and have begun reading them again since I feel like I missed so much the first time through. I just read the Game of Throneschapter where Catelyn Stark receives the coded message from Lysa Arryn that the Lannisters have killed Jon Arryn. Then I went to A Storm of Swords and re-read the dialogue between Lysa Arryn and Petyr Baelish where Lysa talks about Petyr telling her to poison Jon Arryn herself:

"No need for tears . . . but that's not what you said in King's Landing. You told me to put the tears in Jon's wine, and I did. For Robert, and for us! And I wrote Catelyn and told her the Lannisters had killed my lord husband, just as you said."

Why did Petyr Baelish want Lysa to poison Jon Arryn? What was the motivation?

I hope you don't mind if I post this message here. It is an unanswered question for me, at least. I couldn't find this issue addressed elsewhere on the forum (but without the ability to search it's hard to tell).

I have finished the first four books, and have begun reading them again since I feel like I missed so much the first time through. I just read the Game of Throneschapter where Catelyn Stark receives the coded message from Lysa Arryn that the Lannisters have killed Jon Arryn. Then I went to A Storm of Swords and re-read the dialogue between Lysa Arryn and Petyr Baelish where Lysa talks about Petyr telling her to poison Jon Arryn herself:

"No need for tears . . . but that's not what you said in King's Landing. You told me to put the tears in Jon's wine, and I did. For Robert, and for us! And I wrote Catelyn and told her the Lannisters had killed my lord husband, just as you said."

Why did Petyr Baelish want Lysa to poison Jon Arryn? What was the motivation?

To force the Starks to come south; Of course, Jon Arryn's death alone would never have been sufficient, but if Lysa were to set bait such as Jon being poisoned...now, he's managed to catch Eddard. By continually nudging Eddard towards finding out about the truth about Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella, he's setting up Stark and Lannister for conflict, solely because he thrives on conflict.

To force the Starks to come south; Of course, Jon Arryn's death alone would never have been sufficient, but if Lysa were to set bait such as Jon being poisoned...now, he's managed to catch Eddard. By continually nudging Eddard towards finding out about the truth about Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella, he's setting up Stark and Lannister for conflict, solely because he thrives on conflict.

I still don't understand the Lannister's paying Ser Hugh of the Vale though? If Cersei knew that Jon Arryn had learned of her relationship with Jaime it makes sense that she would want him dead. Yet if it was Littlefinger all along...? :stillsick:

A few more questions I hope we get answers to:

[*]Is Gendry a bastard or trueborn? -- could Gendry be Cersei & Robert's son who supposedly died in infancy? The Gold Cloaks came after him when he left King's Landing, and it does seem like there must have been a reason for it. That said, I suspect that this won't be addressed - I can't see that, even if he was a trueborn Baratheon, it would make any difference at this juncture.

I think that it was mentioned that they had come for the bastard child that Ned went to visit in the brothel as well. I figured they were getting rid of all of his bastard children so that no one could use that as proof that Joffrey wasn't the rightful heir.

Thank you, ZMFlavius. :) This makes me even more nervous for the fate of poor Sansa than I was before. The plans Petyr revealed for Sansa at the end of A Feast for Crows seemed benevolent and in her best interest, but I'm beginning to think Petyr is incapable of actually doing anything disinterestedly benevolent for anyone. He reminds me of the scorpion in the fable about the scorpion asking the frog to carry him across the river. They reach the middle of the river, the scorpion stings the frog, and the frog asks him why he stung him, since now they will both drown. The scorpion replies "I'm a scorpion, what else did you expect me to do?"

Does anyone think that Jon knows that Bran is alive? In his next chapter after Summer helped him, he was thinking about the wolf that had helped him. Then he wonders if the Thenns hunted him down and killed him afterwards and thinks that if so Bran was lost to him for good.

Right after that he had to start battling against the wildlings so he didn't get to think about it more than that.

I have a theory about Jon's true parentage.

I believe he is not the bastard son of Ned but the bastard son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar.

I came to this notion due to the following:

Rhaegar could've loved (or just raped) Lyanna.

Lyanna's last ominous words to Ned were "Promise me, Ned" (like promise me you'll take care of Jon, or something to that effect)

Ned wouldn't tell Robert about the mother of Jon. (i think it would've hurt him)

My theory has a few holes in it, but man would this be an awesome plot.

hmmm, that would explain why jon looks like ned even if he's not ned's son. also, remember when arya met the boy who claimed that his wet nurse was wyla? maybe she was a notorious wet nurse that agreed to act as jon's mother until ned left king's landing. it would also explain why she died for some mysterious reason and why rhaegar kidnapped her and hid her away from the world. no one could know, even at the risk of tearing apart the empire, no one could know.

i'm sure that you are correct, now that i think of it. nice catch!

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen it mentioned that Maester Aemon tells Jon about Robb and Catelyn. Yet, I still can't find it. I don't think that news has reached the Nights Watch until Stannis get's there that is.

He brings up Bran and Rickon, Theon and Winterfell, but there isn't any mention of a Red Wedding unless I'm missing something.

I would think Job's reaction to that would be described, but so far I haven't seen any mention of a Red Wedding at The Wall.

Oops... Anyway as far as the Syrio question. On page 58 of the paperback copy of ACOK that I gave Cersi says she sent Meryn Trant "to take her in hand" after king Robert died..... Well later on in ACOK in one of Tyrions chapters, the one where Cersi is shacked up with Lancelot, Meryn Trant is guarding the door. So if the "first sword of Bravoos" truly doesn't run I'm putting my money on him being dead.

hmmm, that would explain why jon looks like ned even if he's not ned's son. also, remember when arya met the boy who claimed that his wet nurse was wyla? maybe she was a notorious wet nurse that agreed to act as jon's mother until ned left king's landing. it would also explain why she died for some mysterious reason and why rhaegar kidnapped her and hid her away from the world. no one could know, even at the risk of tearing apart the empire, no one could know.

i'm sure that you are correct, now that i think of it. nice catch!

See R + L = J thread in General aSoIaF forum. I believe you came upon something that 99.999999999999999% of everyone who has read this series has either (a.) come to believe is the case or (b.) believes is a red herring for the ultimate plot twist later in the story.

Another question I was wondering: Why was Shae in the Tower of the Hand?

There are theories about that.

One of them begins by asking who discovers her there and how that person was able to do so.

These are all the same questions I have on my mind going in to A Feast for Crows. I want to know if Arya and Nymeria will ever be reunited. I want to know if the Stark children will ever see each other again. I want to know what happened with Osha and her quest with Rickon. There's also the Epilogue to deal with. With Beric Dondarrion's red priest able to seemingly bring anyone back to life, what consequences will this have to the Stark children, if any. If you've read it, you know what I am referring to.

As for R + L = J, I think that's likely the case. It could be a red herring, but I'd love it if it were true :)

Arya's List--anybody kept track of the people from her 'nightly list' that got killed, by Arya or anybody else by the end of ASoS? There were Weese, Dunsen, Chiswyck, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, The Tickler, the Hound, Ser Gregor, Ser Amory, Sir Ilyn, Ser Meryn, King Joffrey, Queen Cersi, last I could track down. She herself killed Polliver; Weese and Chiswyck were taken out by Jaqen, Ser Amory is gone (I think), and Joffrey is gone (Yay!)

There are theories about that.

One of them begins by asking who discovers her there and how that person was able to do so.

Ok, so I read this chapter last night... It doesn't actually say that Tyrion killed her! I thought it was known he did, but it basically says he saw her in the bed, naked, talked to her, then grabbed some weapons, a dagger and a crossbow, and headed out into the hall, where he finds Tywin in the privy and blah blah! I thought he kills Shae?

I do have a terrible cold and was drinking Neo Citran while reading, could I have completely missed him killing Shae?

I apologize if this is a dumb question...but when did Jon find out about Robb and Catelyn? I went back over the "Jon" chapters that were after the wedding and I did not see any information. Obviously, I missed something!

Funny! I was asking myself the same question.

Archived