[ADWD SPOILERS] After ADWD, how big is your anticipation for the next book?

denstorebog

I don't dislike the fact that so many plotlines have been left unresolved.

But then, I enjoyed the Sopranos, where all sorts of plotlines were unresolved, or where you'd only recognise the significance of an incident several episodes further on.

I can think of very few chapters in this book that I didn't enjoy reading. High points for me were, the Reek/Theon chapters, Cersei's walk of shame, (all of them gripping, but horrible), Dany's penultimate chapter, the Sorrows, and the Epilogue.

No, it's because I refuse to accept the idea that the author is there to serve at your pleasure. It's ridiculous and a bit insulting.

LOL...thanks for making me laugh. Refusal to accept, that is your answer, seriously!? You remind me of Aeron 'Damphair' Greyjoy, and all the other religious fanatics like him in the books and in real life. There is no arguing with them. He calls the kingsmoot citing it as a command from the Drowned God to make sure that the godless Euron and the dickless Asha do not ascend to the Seastone Chair. Both of them beat his favorite Victarion, and still the Damphair refuses to accept the result, and decides to carry on his preachings against the 'better' candidates. You are the Damphair of these forums, my friends, and I leave you to your preachings. I have more uses of my keystrokes than arguing with a fanatic.

And now, because you have no actual rebuttal as to why your faulty metaphor doesn't work, you're accusing me if splitting hairs. It's poor form.

Why should I bother to make a rebuttal when the metaphor works (present company excluded, 'Damphair')!? You haven't read reply #391, not really you haven't.

No you didn't. You cited Amazon and Goodreads and I showed you the error of your ways. The post in a comments section was - as you well know - from the creator of the HBO fan-site winter is coming, a huge and heavily frequented site. So quite an influential voice. But I understand - as soon as negative reviews and criticisms of the book don't fit into your little world, you try to discredit them. But do as you please, I have neither the means nor the incentive to teach you otherwise.

One advice in parting: Stop the CONSTANT editing of your posts AFTER someone replied to them. It reeks of falsity and is quite pathetic.

Well said, and I agree with this and the posts you made after, with regards to 'Damphair'. I am going to do the same and leave the Damphair to his musings.

P.S.: OMG, I used another metaphor!! :o

I partially agree with your assessment of ADWD. Tyrion and Dany could have been condensed. Why Darrio? Why Tyrion repeatedly being enslaved? Even though reading about Jon the administrator was not exciting, I do think it will be important to the story as it shows his leadership abilities and the results of the controversial decisions he made with the wildings and Stannis.

I bet the whole of ADwD, if the TV series gets that far, will be condensed into 4-5 episodes, 4 more than 5.

ETA: Sigh. Well, I thought all this had died down...

LOL...thanks for making me laugh. Refusal to accept, that is your answer, seriously!? You remind me of Aeron 'Damphair' Greyjoy, and all the other religious fanatics like him in the books and in real life. There is no arguing with them. He calls the kingsmoot citing it as a command from the Drowned God to make sure that the godless Euron and the dickless Asha do not ascend to the Seastone Chair. Both of them beat his favorite Victarion, and still the Damphair refuses to accept the result, and decides to carry on his preachings against the 'better' candidates. You are the Damphair of these forums, my friends, and I leave you to your preachings. I have more uses of my keystrokes than arguing with a fanatic.

OK... So you have no actual rebuttal and are resorting to insults. Gotcha. :rolleyes:

Why should I bother to make a rebuttal when the metaphor works (present company excluded, 'Damphair')!? You haven't read reply #391, not really you haven't.

No, I get it. You think writing is the exact same thing as hiring someone to cook you a meal. That the writer is there to serve at your pleasure, give you what you want, when you want, and how you want it.

Its pretty clear now why you weren't happy with the fifth book. And how little you understand the process of writing.

Well said, and I agree with this and the posts you made after, with regards to 'Damphair'. I am going to do the same and leave the Damphair to his musings.

P.S.: OMG, I used another metaphor!! :o

Well this is familiar. When out-classed in a debate, you resort to childish insults and then run away.

P.S. and I don't think you really understand what a 'metaphor' is, do you?

Just finished ADWD last night, after spending the 5 weeks before that with a complete reread. The contrast between 1-3 and 4&5 was stark (no pun intended). People have commented on the cliffhanger endings and it affected my enjoyment of the novel as well--it reminded me too much of the Da Vinci Code (a book I couldn't stand). Books 1 through 3 seemed to be more self-contained as stories and so more satisfying. Books 4 and 5 made too much use of the Scheherazade Option for my taste. Not to mention the repetitious obsessions of some of the POVs--I couldn't believe that I was actually starting to dislike the Tyrion chapters! Lots of other great moments, but as a piece of story telling I was a bit disappointed: my reread of ASOS had left me with such a rush!

With that in mind, I will read the next installment, but will I perish from anticipation? No. It'll be what it'll be.

Books 1 through 3 seemed to be more self-contained as stories and so more satisfying. Books 4 and 5 made too much use of the Scheherazade Option for my taste. Not to mention the repetitious obsessions of some of the POVs--I couldn't believe that I was actually starting to dislike the Tyrion chapters! Lots of other great moments, but as a piece of story telling I was a bit disappointed: my reread of ASOS had left me with such a rush!

A modest proposal:

The next book should be about 300 pages long and get every POV to a reasonable break point. GRRM could then outline the final two books, really nail down what he wants to talk about thematically, and then have some aggressive editing to make sure he stays within bounds and make for a nicely paced, amazing finish.

The last two books have lost narrative focus due to logistical concerns. He stopped POVs in this book apparently not because it was where he wanted to artistically, but because he ran out pages that could be economically bound. So why not add a shorter book to get on track, and not make the end of the TWoW suffer because it's start is really the finish of ADwD and he's run out of space again?

I have read Garbage of the Moon and Deadhouse Gates. Deadhouse Gates is my favorite fantasy novel thusfar in my life. And I am currently reading MOI.

Garbage of the Moon? LOL. Come on, Gardens of the Moon wasn't bad at all!

But frankly, I liked ADWD, because I was already in love with the characters. But it just dragged out so much, and so little seemed to happen, that I feel like I don't really care about the TWOW. I mean, I'll read it, sure. But I'm not salivating about the next installment, like I was after reading ASoS.

Archived