[ADwD, MK SPOILERS] Where are the dragon Eggs?

Early Earl

Summerhall was destroyed by fire in the year 259 AL, on the same night Prince Rhaegar Targaryen was born to Prince Aerys and his sister-wife Rhaella. The fire was a serious blow to House Targaryen, as King Aegon V Targaryen, his eldest son and heir Prince Duncan and his good friend Ser Duncan the Tall, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, were also all killed. The fire is sometimes blamed on one of the periodic attempts by the Targaryens to hatch ancient dragon eggs.

Prince Rhaegar grew with a complex fascination for Summerhall, where he was happiest yet also saddened by the memory of the tragedy.

Is there any chance that they intentionally or unintentionally did blood magic with the eggs they had? Only death can pay for life or only life can pay for death...if there were dragon eggs at Summerhall and a fire, and three people died, would it be beyond reason to say that perhaps the eggs were hatched?

I have been over at the wiki, counting Targs, and hopefully, dragon eggs.

Egg says his brothers all have eggs as well as himself, and that he got the last one out of a clutch of 5.

However at this point in the story Egg is 16th in the line of succesion (assuming the 2 sets of twins from Rhaegel are boys, and assuming they are born at this point. Also assuming Valaar has had his children already) He doesn't mention if the girls get eggs at all.

Assuming it's only males that get eggs, and assuming the 2 sets of twins are all boys there should be 10 dragon eggs in his generation alone, if you count the girls there should be 12 (although they are younger than Egg, so maybe no eggs to give?)

There should be another 4 (5 if including females) from his father and uncles/aunt.

His grandfather is the only trueborn male from his generation, so there is another egg. And another if we count his sister.

Plus 3 half brothers, and one sister. Do we know if these 4 get given eggs at all?

We know Bloodraven appears to take Lord Butterwells egg, but did he get one of his own as well?

Do his cousin Valaar's 2 boys get eggs? another possible 2 to add on.

I'm counting a gauranteed 15 dragon eggs here, and a possible 26. (I can't recall who gave the egg to Butterwell, so if it is already counted, minus one.)

And this is only in the direct line here, if you accept that a 4th son of a 4th son is getting an egg, than surely other lesser princes/princesses higher up in the line had eggs also?

I can accept that as Targs die the eggs get passed down, but I cannot see every single one of them returning. We know that some of this family are off their rocker, who knows what they would have done with an egg?

As to where they are?

Who knows?!

Lets assume both Aemon and Bloodraven took their eggs to the wall with them. 2 eggs somewhere at the wall, with a possibility for a 3rd one. (assuming BR already had an egg before taking Butterwells) Although BR may well have taken his egg/s out to his weirwood cave with him.

Egg's 2 oldest brother Daerion and Aerion both had a child each. Aerion's was a boy, possibly passed down. Daerion's a "dim-witted girl" so possibly not passed down.

That is all we (well, I) know from the current books, no clue as to where the Targ eggs went, Illyrio claims Dany's eggs are from Asshai.

Thats all I have.

Maybe that's what's in Lyanna's tomb, a dragon egg for Jon. Rhaegar could have taken one from Summerhall.

Maybe that's what's in Lyanna's tomb, a dragon egg for Jon. Rhaegar could have taken one from Summerhall.

Didn't Ned and Robert visit Lyanna's tomb at the very beginning of aGoT? I'm pretty sure they would have mentioned the dragon egg. Unless it's literally inside the tomb, then wtf would Jon start busting up tombs? And who put it there? Ned? The tomb builder guy who still wonders why the Lord of Winterfell buried a dragon egg with his sister? I don't buy it.

Didn't Ned and Robert visit Lyanna's tomb at the very beginning of aGoT? I'm pretty sure they would have mentioned the dragon egg. Unless it's literally inside the tomb, then wtf would Jon start busting up tombs? And who put it there? Ned? The tomb builder guy who still wonders why the Lord of Winterfell buried a dragon egg with his sister? I don't buy it.

there is a lot of speculation on what is in the crypts/Lyanna's tomb that would identify Jon as Targ some people think it's Lyanna's wedding dress others think it's some other house Targ symbol, which is why he has dreams he doesn't belong there and why Bran has dreams about Ned in the crypt being sad about Jon's mom. Far fetched, yes, impossible? No, especially if it was a Targ tradition at one point, especially if rhaegar thinks Jon is fulfillinga prophecy, especially if Rhaegar knew where some dragon eggs were. Robert and Ned did not open Lyanna's tomb, and Ned could have taken it upon himself to close it after he put her bones in it. As far as breaking it open, we dont know how it's closed/ sealed. Perhaps it just looks sealed to the naked eye but could be opened if you know where to look.

of all the posts i've seen I haven't seen one about the egg that Euron threw into the ocean during "a dark mood" that he often has, that he tells Victarion about the night he offers him a glass of shade of the morning.

I think there is a fair chance of them having been discarded by people no longer thinking they were actually able to hatch or not knowing how to hatch or just simply too old to be anything more than a rock.

• 1 month later...

of all the posts i've seen I haven't seen one about the egg that Euron threw into the ocean during "a dark mood" that he often has, that he tells Victarion about the night he offers him a glass of shade of the morning.

I think there is a fair chance of them having been discarded by people no longer thinking they were actually able to hatch or not knowing how to hatch or just simply too old to be anything more than a rock.

I think by "threw into the sea", he was reffering to how his brother was killed by the faceless men. The dragon egg was payment for the FM so in a way he threw the egg in the sea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

IMHO...I think the eggs that Illyrio gave Daenerys are not the ones described in the D&E novellas but I do believe they are Targaryen eggs. The link between Illyrio and Varys is too great for the three dragon eggs to come from anywhere else.

I do think there are dragon eggs remaining out there...either at Summerhall, Kings Landing or Dragonstone (or all three).

I like the thought there could be an egg (or an explanation) in Lyanna's toumb at Winderfell...Jon's dreams keep drawing him to the crypts...so something is there. Maybe that is where he meets up with Howland Reed (sorry...This should be in another thread).

Reference to the Ice Dragon has me curious about the whereabouts of Ameon's egg. Could Jon come across it while healing? Or does Jon Snow die...and when they go to burn him, he then is reborn in fire?

I've often wondered if there's a dragon or eggs at the Wall or Winterfell already. The Wall is described with a lot of personification and the hot springs at Winerfell are a little curious. In AFFC Sam wonders if Silverwing left any eggs when she and Vermitor visited the Wall after they both visited WF.

IIRC we never knew the fate of Silverwing, The Cannibal, Sheepstealer (and I think one more?) after the Dance. From what I gathered any of them could lay a clutch.

Would the fire's and death at Summerhall cause the hatching of a dragon like Drogo's pyre?

Conjecture: Maybe there are nine eggs. The Dragon must have three heads. Three dragons for each "head". Dany was first. Maybe Lyanna's tomb and John are the second? The Bloodraven tie in was a possibility. "You will not walk, but you will fly" to Bran. Aegon might be the third (bastard Tyrion another possibility).

Anyway, don't beat me up on the conjecture. Just having fun with it. Makes sense that there would be more eggs, but it also makes sense that no one knows what to do with them since they hadn't been around for a while. Dany discovered by luck. Wonder if Sam Tarly figures something else out on his trip to the Citadel.

Wonder if Sam Tarly figures something else out on his trip to the Citadel.

Surely GRRM has something more in store for Sam other than just becoming a Maester. I am still pondering what Aemon meant by this quote

"a glass candle that could not be lit; eggs that would not hatch; the sphinx was the riddle, not the riddler."

Glass Candles only burn when there is enough magic in the world...and that is only when eggs can hatch?

I'll search the forum for a dissection of this quote...i'm sure it's out there. Just wanted to bring it up since it mentioned eggs.

I don't see how Dany's three eggs can possibly be the same eggs mentioned in Dunk and Egg. According to TMK, Lord Butterwell's egg was a "deep, rich red . . . but there were gold flecks in it as well, and whorls of midnight black." Drogon's egg, in contrast, was "black, as black as a midnight sea, yet alive with scarlet ripples and swirls." Butterwell's egg was red with black whorls (with flecks of gold), Drogon's egg had no gold flecks and was black with red swirls (the opposite of Butterwell's egg).

Aerion's egg was "gold and silver, with veins of fire running through it." Viserion's egg was "pale cream streaked with gold." Aegon's egg was "white and green, all swirly." Rhaegal's egg was "a deep green, with burnished bronze flecks that came and went depending on how Dany turned it." The descriptions of Aegon's egg and Aerion's egg simply don't match the descriptions of any of the eggs Dany was given.

I also don't see how we can connect the eggs via some color substitutions caused by Summerhall. Aerion's egg and Butterwell's egg each contained three colors, while Dany's eggs only ever had two colors, so even if whatever happened at Summerhall could have caused one color to switch with another, we're still left with an extra color on two of the earlier eggs. Moreover, the pattern of the colors also doesn't fully match---Rhaegal's egg had "flecks" of bronze, it wasn't "bronze and green, all swirly"; for example.

I'm a bit late on this, but am I the only one who takes interest in the fact that the only described eggs seem to contain the same colors? Regardless of if they are the same eggs or not, they follow the same color schemes:

- one seems to be red and black (Drogon, and Butterwell's),

- one seems to be green and white (Egg's egg) / green and bronze (Dany's Rhaegal),

- one seems to be pale, cream with gold (Dany's Viserion) gold and silver with veins of fire (Aerion's), white with a distinctive gold streak (Elaena Targaryen's)

Might be nothing, but knowing GRRM I doubt it. Maester Aemon's egg is not described, and is speculated to be the potential "Ice Dragon". This is purely a guess but what if his egg was a different color? Perhaps blue, purple, colors that all other known and described eggs lacked.

Does anyone have any quotes/knowledge of any dragon eggs of colors different than the ones I listed above?

Drogon is black with a bit of red, the Butterwell one was the other way around, with gold in it as well, iirc.

I'm not convinced they are the same eggs, either. Just wondering if anyone has found any quotes referencing any other colors on any other dragon eggs. I find it interesting that all of the referenced colors seem to be the same general group (red/black. green/white or bronze, white or pale /gold or silver).

I'll look into this: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/118248-illyrios-dragon-eggs/ to see any mention of color, but does anyone here have any references to any other colors?

I'm not convinced they are the same eggs, either. Just wondering if anyone has found any quotes referencing any other colors on any other dragon eggs. I find it interesting that all of the referenced colors seem to be the same general group (red/black. green/white or bronze, white or pale /gold or silver).

I'll look into this: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/118248-illyrios-dragon-eggs/ to see any mention of color, but does anyone here have any references to any other colors?

Nope. They all seem to be the same color combinations with the only differences being what's whorled, swirled, flecked and streaked. I don't know if that's just the adjective's chosen by the POV or if there's a true difference between the markings.

Archived