WorldCon 2011 Party Financial Information

Hello, everyone.

If you have been reading the threads in this forum, you are aware that WorldCon is next month.

Members of the BwB have been busy with multiple tasks; one of which is the organization of the parties that the BwB will be having, both private and public. You can read about the plans for the parties in the thread that was started by X-Ray. Preparations include setting up, cleaning up, running the bar, and a host of other things.

However, many parts of this organization cost money.

It is my job to create a budget and raise the money necessary for the parties to be able to take place on the two nights. This is where the purpose of this thread comes in. This thread is to inform members of some of the financial details, and how much is being asked for to alleviate the costs.

The requested donation is $30.00 USD per individual BwB member. There are two methods that the donations can be given.

I have arranged a PayPal account for people who wish to make donations before the convention, or for people who may wish to donate regardless of whether they can make it to Reno. You can send money to BwBTreasury at Yahoo dot com.

The alternative is to find either myself, or one of the other officers of the BwB at Reno, and give us the money.

Some of you may be wondering what a person gets for their money, what the money is being used for, and where it is allocated.

What people get for their money is a fun and safe place that has liquid refreshments where they can party for two straight nights.

The first and most straightforward cost is the two nights for the con suite, as determined by any given hotel that the parties are held at, and how many nights are rented.

The suite serves as a meeting point for all of the BwB members, their friends, and family members, to gather together when trying to find each other. It is a place to relax, meet up with old friends, and to help new members get to know everyone else. This is why Friday night is going to be a more closed setting.

The second is the cost of beverages, in the form of alcohol, soda, and water. The amounts for these are based on past experiences with prior conventions, as well as some guesswork centered on the location and expected turnout.

The third could be considered miscellaneous. This can range from the materials needed to prepare and serve the alcoholic beverages, to cleaning supplies like trash bags and paper towels, to decorations. Members of the BwB have sometimes been able to bring certain supplies with them from one convention to another, so some few items are not needed to be purchased every time.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to let me know.

From my experience being the money guy in Denver and Montreal, I would say cash on-site. That way it's easier to judge how well we're doing w/r/t the budget, people can be given cash to do the shopping trips, and we're certain to have cash for housekeeping tips.

Fenryng may feel differently, however.

I plan on depleting my wine cellar for party(s). Factor in that I'll bring approximately 2 cases of good California Wine (no 2 buck chuck here) to share with my breahren. thanks for orgainzing.

(actually, 2 cases won't make a dent in the cellar) :cheers:

Money sent - thanks for organizing the funds!

Money received, and thank you.

I plan on depleting my wine cellar for party(s). Factor in that I'll bring approximately 2 cases of good California Wine (no 2 buck chuck here) to share with my breahren. thanks for orgainzing.

(actually, 2 cases won't make a dent in the cellar) :cheers:

Thanks. I will let the party organizing folks know.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to donate some money but don't see a link here...

If you're going to be there, your best option is to give cash to one of the folks running the party in Reno (fenryng, Stego, JetBoyGirl, Xray, me, etc.).

If you want to send money ahead of time, there is a Paypal set up for the email in the section quoted below:

I have arranged a PayPal account for people who wish to make donations before the convention, or for people who may wish to donate regardless of whether they can make it to Reno. You can send money to BwBTreasury at Yahoo dot com.

If you're going to be there, your best option is to give cash to one of the folks running the party in Reno (fenryng, Stego, JetBoyGirl, Xray, me, etc.).

If you want to send money ahead of time, there is a Paypal set up for the email in the section quoted below:

Don't know how I missed that lol...Thankyou my friend...I will be at WorldCon...but decided to send money right away...looking forward to meeting you all...

The Aussie BwB has agreed to contribute to the Reno party fund, so we might take part in some way, even if we are not there.

We have tonight forwarded a donation to the paypal account to help you all enjoy yourselves*.

Have fun, everyone!!!

* Not in the Denver sense of that phrase.

The Aussie BwB has agreed to contribute to the Reno party fund, so we might take part in some way, even if we are not there.

We have tonight forwarded a donation to the paypal account to help you all enjoy yourselves*.

Have fun, everyone!!!

* Not in the Denver sense of that phrase.

Stubs, you and the Aussie BWB are fucking CHAMPS. :love: :love: :love:

Archived