[Pre-ADwD Spoilers] Daenerys 3 - Spoilers for ADWD

Jon Targaryen

Is he? I thought that he came to Meeren by those galleys to fought the war.

"Over breakfast, Dany reveals Xaro's offer of thirteen galleys to Dany for her to leave Mereen and travel to Westeros. The Dothraki believe that thirteen is unlucky (and too few), but Dany says that it is enough to take them to Westeros. Irri and Jhiqui don't like the idea of crossing the poisoned sea with horses."

"The next morning, Xaro's ship was gone, but the thirteen gifted galleys remained. An envoy of Xaro's approaches Dany and lays a pillow at her feet. Atop the pillow is a bloody glove. "It means war," Dany thinks."

• 2 months later...

I don't think Marywn is going to visit Daenerys, because I don't think that he's going to live long enough to do so. Right now, if Marwyn doesn't tell her of the true threat, then that story function would most likely be taken up by Sam (i.e., the guy who has access to Marwyn's research; who has actually witnessed the threat facing them; and who is one of the few to believe that Daenerys is the true prince who was promised). And if there's an important job to be done, is GRRM more likely to give it to some dude that we've met for five pages, or Sam Tarly, who has been a major character for four books and counting?

then why did he leave those galleys?

Because he hoped that the threat of war would suffice to get her to leave?

This may be a dumb question, and apologies if someone has already asked it, but when/how did Jorah betray Dany? I haven't re-read ASoS in a few years, and all I remember is that he left her. I didn't think it was a betrayal.

EDIT: Okay, never mind. I looked it up and it was just when Dany found out why he was originally sent to her. For some reason I never though of it as a betrayal really. It just kind of makes me think of Dany as even more of a toolbag (perhaps unfairly, I admit, but for me, Jorah was the only thing I liked about her chapters).

I looked it up and it was just when Dany found out why he was originally sent to her.

Actually it was more that he was still spying on her for Varys at least as late as mid ACoK by his own admission, and very likely had never stopped at all.

ETA: though it is relatively a somewhat minor betrayal, and may not count towards the "three that she will know". That said, it was not primarily for the betrayal that she sent him away, she had been willing to keep him on if he had mended his ways.

ETA: though it is relatively a somewhat minor betrayal, and may not count towards the "three that she will know". That said, it was not primarily for the betrayal that she sent him away, she had been willing to keep him on if he had mended his ways.

Indeed. It was his attitude when confronted that infuriated her. She thought he should have been more humble.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, she did. I wonder what will happen with old Mormont? Will he end up fighting for her enemies as a sign of vengeance? Will he go back to Westeros and hope for that pardon? Or maybe will he keep trying to get back in with Dany's lot, only working from the shadows?

I do recall it's never confirmed that he left the city. Only Dany told him to go and assumed he did...

• 2 weeks later...

The prophecy could be a quote from a book. It may not be a direct prophecy for Dany. Here's my interpretation of it.

Dany's followers tend to come in threes. The prophecy is about the three men who will help her take Westeros. Soon comes the pale mare. That's Dany. Crow and Kraken- that's Euron and Victarion she needs one of them for their ships. Lion and Griffon-that's Tyrion and Jon Connington (Griff). Both men are former hands, one will be her hand. Sun's son and mummer's dragon- That's Quentin and Young Griff. They're competing for lead of her Westerosi land forces and also love interest. I'm inferring from Tyrion 2 that Illyrio intends for Young Griff to marry Dany and be a head of the dragon. Illyrio is going to do whatever he can to make Young Griff attractive to Dany (possibly make him look like Rhaegar?)

So the prophecy is about Dany picking an admiral, a hand, and a general(husband)? . But since Dany is unpredictable, I don't think it will be that simple. For one thing I'm pretty sure from the house of undying prophecy her next husband will be a Greyjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

Question re: Young Griff and Targ succession.

Let's say the broadest conspiracy theory is true. He's Aegon. Rhaegar's son. Dany's uncle. Jon Snow's half-brother.

Who's the rightful heir? Targ succession has been male --> male since the first Dance, right? And even if it weren't, wouldn't Rhaeghar's children have the better claim than Dany?

I'm sure with all the R+L=J threads around, this has been discussed, but if Young Griff is Aegon, it's just a new wrinkle, especially if it's unclear whether he or Jon is older.

If this has been discussed thoroughly elsewhere, a link will do. I'm new to the board and couldn't find it, figured it'd fit best deep in a spoiler post.

Aegon was born before the war and was the eldest son of the crown prince. He would be first in line, if he is still alive.

Jon (if R+L=J) would be a younger son of the crown prince and be behind in the order of succesion. Of course as a bastard he is completely excempt from inheriting, but that could be fixed, and possibly Rhaeghar married Lyanna (bigamy, but there is precedent).

Daenerys would be behind both of them (if Jon's not a bastard) simply by being a younger sibling of Rhaeghar. Besides she's a woman, and they usually have a hard time inheriting the Iron Throne. She has two things going for her, though. She's the only one of these that everyone knows is who she says she is. There is no doubt that she is Daenerys Targaryen, where both Aegon and Jon would have some proving/convincing to do. The second is dragons, and dragons have been known to trump lots of arguments.

Targaryen order of succession, as I understand it:

1. {Aerys II - murdered by Jaime Lannister}

2. {Rhaegar - killed at the Red Fork}

3. Aegon - ostensibly murdered by Gregor Clegane

4. Jon Snow, if he is the true-born son of Rhaegar and Lyanna

5. {Rhaenys - murdered by Amory Lorch}

6. {Viserys - killed by Khal Drogo}

7. Daenerys

8. {Rhaella - died in childbirth}

9. {Rhaelle - unclear fate, but probably predeceased her son Steffon}

10. {Steffon Baratheon - killed in a shipwreck}

11. {Robert Baratheon - killed by a boar}

12. {Joffrey, ostensibly - murdered at his wedding, but really Jaime Lannister's bastard}

13. Tommen, ostensibly - but really Jaime Lannister's bastard

14. Myrcella, ostensibly - but really Jaime Lannister's bastard

15. Stannis

16. Shereen

17. {Renly - killed by a shadow}

We don't know after that.

Targaryen order of succession, as I understand it:

1. {Aerys II - murdered by Jaime Lannister}

2. {Rhaegar - killed at the Red Fork}

3. Aegon - ostensibly murdered by Gregor Clegane

4. Jon Snow, if he is the true-born son of Rhaegar and Lyanna

5. {Rhaenys - murdered by Amory Lorch}

6. {Viserys - killed by Khal Drogo}

7. Daenerys

8. {Rhaella - died in childbirth}

9. {Rhaelle - unclear fate, but probably predeceased her son Steffon}

10. {Steffon Baratheon - killed in a shipwreck}

11. {Robert Baratheon - killed by a boar}

12. {Joffrey, ostensibly - murdered at his wedding, but really Jaime Lannister's bastard}

13. Tommen, ostensibly - but really Jaime Lannister's bastard

14. Myrcella, ostensibly - but really Jaime Lannister's bastard

15. Stannis

16. Shereen

17. {Renly - killed by a shadow}

We don't know after that.

You forgot Rhaego, Daenerys's child, if he was born and had lived he would be after Daenerys. Other than that that's very accurate.

since rob unbasterd jon thinking he is the last stark (other than sansa who is married to tyrion in that time) the list is true since he can no longer be consider as a basterd (tho dany would probably argue that robb was not a true king the jon is still a basterd and therefore she is still the heir).

that is ofcourse if R+L = J is true.

since rob unbasterd jon thinking he is the last stark (other than sansa who is married to tyrion in that time) the list is true since he can no longer be consider as a basterd (tho dany would probably argue that robb was not a true king the jon is still a basterd and therefore she is still the heir).

that is ofcourse if R+L = J is true.

There is always the possibility that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married in secret as well, meaning if Jon is their child he has always been legitimate and his bastardy is just part of the lie Ned has been telling all along.

Also, with regards to the females in the line of succession, I believe they would be in the order you list, but they would come after all the males in the line first. Meaning the Targaryen girls wouldn't start until after Viserys, and the Baratheon girls until after Renly, going on the main laws of succession set in place by the original Dance of Dragons. If we are operating tge entire kingdom under Dornish law then you list is accurate with the addition of Rhaego.

Archived