CHICAGO AREA BwB

Lady N suggested I alter the title of the old Chicago thread and though I looked for it briefly, I couldn't really be arsed to look too hard when it's just as easy to start a new thread.

So here it is. If you're in the Chicagoland Area and want to get something planned this is the place to discuss it!

A couple of things...

First of all, for anyone in Chicago this weekend, the Newberry Library Book Sale is going on now through Sunday. For those of you who aren't familiar with the library, it's a private library (but large!) but open to the public for research and exhibits and they have classes you can take and lectures you can attend. Every summer they have a huge used book sale. Paperbacks are generally sold for 50 cents and hardbacks are generally a couple of bucks. All the books are donated so the offerings vary from year to year but they always have thousands upon thousands of books for sale in every range of subject matter from science ficiton and fantasy to romance and mystery and fiction and history and cookbooks and children's books and architecture and travel and food...

More information can be found here:

https://go.newberry.org/Page.aspx?pid=374

If you do come by on Saturday or Sunday afternoon, see if you can find me as I will be volunteering there, hopefully in the room with the fiction, mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy books. I will be the only volunteer under 65...kidding!...well maybe not...lol! But maybe I will be wearing my Targ shirt one of the days.

Oh and if anyone does come...sadly I've already purchased the first edition hardback copies of Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords that someone donated to the sale so you will not be finding those. Only $2.50 each!

Second, a few of us have been discussing getting together next Saturday, August 6th in the afternoon somewhere in Chicago. Location and exact time will be determined based on people's schedules and where they are coming from. It will be someplace that people can get to via public transportation so probably somewhere central, like close to the downtown area.

I'm going to *try* to stop at the book sale tomorrow or Sunday - I've been sick, so it is all dependent on me getting better.

As for August 6th, don't think I'm going to be out of town for that day, so my chances of attending the meet up have increased. However, I still won't have read ADWD yet : /

I'd be in for the 6th, but not knowing when the baby will actually arrive (literally any day now), I cannot commit...

Let me add that I do work in Kenosha so if there are any far north suburanites looking to gather in that far north area, that's okay too... :P

Jaxom, you can always be spur of the moment about it if the baby hasn't shown signs of arriving by Saturday.

Also I'm sure we can work around if people haven't read the book and don't want to be spoiled along with people who have finished it and want to discuss it.

What would be a good time for people on Saturday afternoon? 2PM? 3PM?

Trebla, what is your train schedule like for that afternoon?

Does anyone have any ideas of a central place we can meet? Greyjoy I think you said you were out in Oak Park? If so I guess we are looking for a place not to far from the Green, Red, and Blue lines...does that cover everyone?

I guess we are looking for a casual place with food and drinks that can accomodate a not determined number of people.

I think in the Loop are options are limited on Saturday afternoon as most places I can think of are closed. Maybe one of the Elephant & Castle locations is open. There might be a few more places in the South Loop but since we are coming from north and west that might be going in the wrong direction. North of the Loop I think there is the Kerryman and the Green Door.

Any other ideas?

Considering I read all the spoilers before I read the book that isn't going to work with me *grin*

Anyway unless anyone has a different idea, lets meet at the Elephant & Castle at Wabash & Lake since that is the one closest to the most transportation options.

We could meet in the bar area and then see how many of us there are before getting a table. I guess I will sacrifice myself on the altar of geekiness and wear some GOT t-shirt so those of you who haven't met us before will be able to find us.

Is 2:30 PM early enough / late enough for those of you with morning / evening plans?

Considering I read all the spoilers before I read the book that isn't going to work with me *grin*

Anyway unless anyone has a different idea, lets meet at the Elephant & Castle at Wabash & Lake since that is the one closest to the most transportation options.

We could meet in the bar area and then see how many of us there are before getting a table. I guess I will sacrifice myself on the altar of geekiness and wear some GOT t-shirt so those of you who haven't met us before will be able to find us.

Is 2:30 PM early enough / late enough for those of you with morning / evening plans?

I would definitely like to stop by - didn't know there was a Chicago group, but I only just recently made my way back to this board after reading ADwD. The time and place is ok with me.

I'm in. :cheers:

Archived