[DwD Spoilers]Who will be the Lord of Winterfell?

Jon will be free of the NW vows after his death (funny how this does not sound weird in ASOIAF's context anymore), then he will become the Stark in Winterfell and lead the northmen to the war against the Others, being one more of the Starks who have marched north when the Wall was in trouble.

He will eventually die for good in the war and Rickon will become the next Lord of Winterfell.

I would imagine that Rickon is the obvious choice, but I'm not sure that will play out. Rickon, who is already developing rather wildly, is now being raised by a wildling on an island which is, by repute, about the wildling-est of all wildling-y places in Westeros. Who's to say that our baby Stark will even want to return to a castle of dim and uncomfortable memories in a land full of kneelers?

My money's on Sansa.

Bran is being transformed into a tree. Or do you think this weirwood seed paste is just a good breakfast? Bran understood that, and he decided to go along with it anyway. Which was one of the most heartbreaking moments in the entire series if you ask me.

He will be Lord of Nothing or Everything, depending on your point of view, and have a much more interesting (although rather 'rooted') life than any other characters, as he will be not be limited by time and space.

And yes, Rickon will be the next Lord Winterfell. That much is certain, I wager. Littlefinger's scheme involving Sansa will fail. I'm not sure if she is getting anything in the end.

well, we know that it would be a stark, and someone capable of producing an heir. why? because Jojen said that "the wolves will return" (somewhere in SOS). since GRRM's world is real and doesn't always involve a holywood happy ending, it could be we'd see some sort of a struggle beetwen two of the stark possible rulers. how about some kind of a standoff beetwen Jon and the wildlings (after he comes back, of course), and Sansa and the vale? we know that those two are less attached than the other pairs (Arya-Jon, Arya-Sansa, Jon-Bran, etc..)

I doubt Bran will become the lord of Winterfell. It could be a very nice way to make some sort of a happy ending for the starks (he is the stark character most people like), but it doen't sound like something that GRRM would do. too legendary.

Without getting into too much detail, it is possible for people with spinal cord injuries to have a sex life. It just requires a little more effort. So, Bran being able to sire heirs is not completely out of the question.

I imagine this would greatly please Eric Ironmaker and Asha. Their marriage doesn't have to be platonic!

Nothing says that Bran need remain north of the Wall, or that greenseers cannot function south of it. The Children of the Forest will not come south with him, but he is not as old as Bloodraven was, and need not depend upon a symbiosis with the weirwoods to survive. As things stand, while he lives he is the right lord of Winterfell as a subject of the Iron Throne. Robb's legitimization of Jon rests on his authority as king, and his kingdom did not last, so Bran it is.

I forgot about that - they have to go back at some point to Robb naming Jon as his heir (assuming that was what was on the paper he signed, which most people do). That has to mean something - I don't think it's just going to be dropped. And they're making much of how much Jon really does want Winterfell. So I think that's still an option. I'm not sure someone who is legitimized by a king becomes automatically de-legitimized once the king falls. In fact I'm pretty sure Catelyn said it was something that couldn't be easily undone (although they really can do anything once a king dies, see: Cersei ignoring Robert's last orders). Especially if something happened where Jon did take back Winterfell from the Boltons (up in the air now, I know).

Aargh. This is frustrating. At some point someone has to free the Greatjon and see about that inheritance! Technically Jon is king! But if he ever found out Bran and Rickon were alive, he could theoretically step aside for them as well, especially if he finds out he's not Ned's son.

I'm not sure Bran's path will lead him to a traditional lord-of-winterfell role. I see him now as sort of like Arya - their lives are just going to be different. It could absolutely be Rickon though. That would almost be funny since he's the one no one ever remembers.

Even with the weirwood seed paste, I don't think that Bran is "tied" to the trees. We'll see more of him, we'll see him getting out of the cave and returning to Winterfell but only when the time is right. And eventually he'll name Rickon as an heir and return to die peacefully in the cave under the weirwoods when he's old.

The North needs Bran to remember the traditions they had forgotten. The Northmen need to remember why they follow the path of the Old Gods, that warging isn't abomination, and that greenseeing is real. That's Bran's fate.

The Children built him another weirwood throne. Bran's role as a moving guy are done. He might overtake a few people out there an live their lives, possibly beginning with the ranger Coldhands guy and Hodor, but I very much doubt he is ever going to leave that cave again. Winter has come, after all, and he would die long before he even reached the Wall.

What about, Rickon returns from wherever he's been secreted (most likely Skagos) and he's psycho crazy and Shaggydog is just as bad. In delicious (literally) irony he massacres the Freys in the exact way they claim to Manderly that Robb tried to do to start the Red Wedding.

Manderly may make the best Frey Pie in the North, but Rickon prefers Frey Tartare.

Archived