[DwD Spoilers]Who will be the Lord of Winterfell?

( In the background, I think Benjen has returned and is secretly the current Stark in WF co-ordinating the GNC strands ... Hold that thought..)

I'm sure Robb was right , and Jon would not supplant his younger " brothers " ( or sisters, for that matter ).. However , neither Bran nor Rickon would be ready to rule for some time, and with the long winter and the Others coming, WF needs a Stark who can. ( If I'm right about Benjen , the GNC will already be aware of the threat from the Others as well as their current political problems ) Add to this, everyone knows the young and the old are most vulnerable in winter. I could definitely see Jon acting as Regent / Protector through the winter, with Benjen taking up matters at the wall .

• 1 year later...

IF and I do mean "if", Jeyne Westerling is pregnant and somehow escapes or has already escaped, then her child by right whether it is a boy or a girl is the rightful heir to Winterfell. This followed by Bran, Rickon then Sansa and Arya. Stannis had no legit right to offer Jon anything with Winterfel. Also, on the subject of Jon, if he is Rheagar's son by Lyanna or whoever else and it was in proper ceremony, then he has the best proven claim to the Iron Throne, even over Dany. Aegon, if he is real (I doubt it) is the true heir but it appears to many that he is the "mummer's dragon", an imposter.

Actually, there is almost no chance Jeyne Westerling is pregnant, as it was seen to it by her mother that she would never give birth to a child.

Actually, Stannis had a good right to make Jon Lord, as a Boy comes before a Girl in Andal Culture, and Bran and Rickon were thought to be dead. And, it has not revealed whether legitimized bastards get the right to inherit based on their age (As if they were born as trueborn) or at the end. (Of course, Stannis does not know about R+L=J, which is anyways not proven yet)

There have been instances in the story's history where the mother's name is taken, not the father's. (the baratheons? I don't have the specific examples off the top of my head.). Just because Arya is female doesn't mean she can't continue the Stark line.

Notice how we almost never, ever say Cersei Baratheon, only Cersei Lannister?

I think the reality of Robb's will showing up declaring Jon the heir is that some of the lords will follow it and while others (probably more) will declare it BS or invalid due for one reason or other and give support for which of the legitimate Stark siblings (with a preference for a healthy male) is most visible. The result being more civil war in the North, which is why I hope for the Northmen's sake that Robb's will never sees the light of day!

The worst possible scenario is something like Rickon being recovered by Manderly and Stannis and restored as Warden of the North with their support while poor old Jon Snow wakes from his wounds to find a gang of Robb Stark diehards led by the Greatjon moronically chanting 'the King in the North!' outside his window...

I really don't think Jon ever would challange his trueborn cousins for Winterfell. And, they can't do a shit about it if Jon himself doesn't want to be a lord, and would not give up on the night's watch

It seems to me that so much that happens to the Stark children, Theon and Jon is about not getting to live the life they expected and somehow recreating themselves and making a place for themselves in the world. The added difficulty for Theon and Jon was that they could never develop a sense of a "fixed" identity or of belonging. This has spurred both of them on (Theon with his ill-fated attempt to get Winterfell for the Ironborn and Jon to renounce every chance of a "normal" life and join the Night's Watch instead). It seems to me there is no real way back for either of them (and Jon would even have had the chance to become the Lord of Winterfell and he became Commander of the Night's Watch instead), so I doubt that the story arc will end with Jon in Winterfell, back where he started.

If the GNC is true (though there are very huge flaws in it), then Jon would be Lord of Winterfell. Otherwise, it would be Rickon. But we don't know if Jon is alive, and we don't know what will happen in Skagos with Davos and Rickon.

( In the background, I think Benjen has returned and is secretly the current Stark in WF co-ordinating the GNC strands ... Hold that thought..)

The GNC has enough evidence to support it without bringing Benjen into it. There doesn't need to be any Stark "coordinating" the GNC.

Jon will be free of the NW vows after his death (funny how this does not sound weird in ASOIAF's context anymore), then he will become the Stark in Winterfell and lead the northmen to the war against the Others, being one more of the Starks who have marched north when the Wall was in trouble.

He will eventually die for good in the war and Rickon will become the next Lord of Winterfell.

Ditto

I think it will be Rickon and Manderly will help him rule. The other Starks will finally hear that Winterfell is held by one of their own and reunite back there. I really think when Ned told Arya that the lone wolf dies but the pack survives GRRM was foreshadowing that at some point in the future the Starks would be reunited and that they would face their enemies together.

I don't think Bran wants to be Lord of Winterfell and will probably leave it for Rickon.

Bran will be Lord but Rickon will grow to be his strong right arm. Rickon will fulfil the Lords duties of leading armies and visiting bannermen, like husbands often to when their wives inherit a title.

It will also be Rickon that gets the marriage to a first rank woman and fathers the next generation of Starks. If Bran were already married, it might be worth the effort of trying to conceive a miracle child but he is not. The odds of him fathering a child that it would be a waste of a bride for him to marry - because when he fails to conceive that girl is stuck married to him rather than having children in a marriage to Rickon.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love rickon with manderly as his regent until he comes of age. Bran will stay at the tree watching over the north and the starks. Jon refuses the IT and insteads rebuilds the wall (cuz we all know its going to fall). And Arya will return to winterfell and is kind of rickons master of whispers/other spy girl.

Archived