[ADWD SPOILERS] Small Questions

Tony Rigatoni

New to the boards, and I saw this kind of topic on the general discussion boards but obviously no one can post minor questions they have that reference aDwD so maybe we can start one here. Hopefully it will keep the same topics from being created again and again.

My question is who was the lady that appeared to Dany in Meereen? I can't remember where Dany met her before and don't understand how she was able to appear to Dany. If anyone could help that would be lovely.

Qaithe was one of the three people who turned up when Dany was in the red waste, there was the warlock, Xaro and her. She likes popping up and telling prophecies. Presumely she's from Asshai.

http://towerofthehand.com/reference/k/00823/index.html

I have a ADWD question:

In the Cersei chapter when Kevan visits Cersei he says:

“You think I care about a cup of wine? Lancel is my son, Cersei. Your own nephew."

Is it a mistake by GRRM or does Kevan not even get the family tree straight? Lancel is Cersei's cousin, IIRC.

A mistake by GRRM, my guess. Kevan is Cersei's uncle and Lancel is Kevan's son. This makes him Cersei's cousin.

I believe Tommen is Cersei's only nephew :thumbsup:

There was a line in the first Jon chapter that caught my attention. It's during one of his warg dreams "Once they had been six, five whimpering blind in the snow beside their dead mother, sucking cool milk from her hard dead nipples whilst he crawled off alone. Four remained...and the one the white wolf could no longer sense" So now they were four (Shaggydog, Ghost, Nymeria and Summer) and it caught my attention because he can sense that Lady is dead, but he doesn't make the same distinction with Grey Wind, only that he can no longer sense him. Is this an implication that Grey Wind wasn't killed during the Red Wedding and possibly escaped?

Here is a small question: How did Arya end up killing that boat insurance guy she was sent to kill? I didn't quite follow it. She cut open some guys money bag, ran away and then.... she was back at the temple talking with the old guy. What did I miss?

Arya slipped in a iron coin into the money bag that was going to the boat insurance guy. When the boat insurance found the coin he knew he was marked for death so he had a heart attack.

I saw this kind of topic on the general discussion boards but obviously no one can post minor questions they have that reference aDwD so maybe we can start one here. Hopefully it will keep the same topics from being created again and again.

Thanks for this Tony. I was actually going to start a small questions thread because I have lots of small questions too but you beat me to it! ( I even asked in the general small questions thread for one on ADWD). Small questions are not just for newbies :)

The only questions I can think of right now are:

Why does Mel not kill Mance? I know at one point she calls him the false king but why?

Arya slipped in a iron coin into the money bag that was going to the boat insurance guy. When the boat insurance found the coin he knew he was marked for death so he had a heart attack.

Um. I thought the coin was poisoned and the guy died after tasting it. Ironic, since it's pretty much the same way the Alchemist killed Pate back in AFFC.

Nope. If you read earlier the boat insurance dude bites in to every coin to see if it's real, Arya used the old poisoned coin trick.

There was a line in the first Jon chapter that caught my attention. It's during one of his warg dreams "Once they had been six, five whimpering blind in the snow beside their dead mother, sucking cool milk from her hard dead nipples whilst he crawled off alone. Four remained...and the one the white wolf could no longer sense" So now they were four (Shaggydog, Ghost, Nymeria and Summer) and it caught my attention because he can sense that Lady is dead, but he doesn't make the same distinction with Grey Wind, only that he can no longer sense him. Is this an implication that Grey Wind wasn't killed during the Red Wedding and possibly escaped?

no, it means: "4 still alive, one of which (Summer) he can no longer sense."

Here is a small question: How did Arya end up killing that boat insurance guy she was sent to kill? I didn't quite follow it. She cut open some guys money bag, ran away and then.... she was back at the temple talking with the old guy. What did I miss?

I missed it too. Glad to read all the answers! I feel very "Oh, duh" right now.

This is more of a small comment than a small question...noticed during a recent GoT re-read after ADwD, in one of Sansa's final chapters, she's staring at Janos Slynt, hating him, remembering how he pushed her father down so Ser Ilyn could behead him, wishing that some hero would push him down and behead him. That made me go o_0 thinking about how Slynt does indeed meet his end in ADwD...I keep finding these little things and wondering, did he have it planned all along, or is he just connecting these things for the fun of it as he writes? :)

today I was thinking...

If the others want to pass through the wall and the horn of joramund was on their side of the wall why couldn' t thy find it in the thousands of years they had to search?? isn' t it the first thing that they should do?

or why haven' t the NW tried to find it either? I don' t recall the history of the horn but why haven t some wildling thought of it earlier or anyonte of joramunds time used it? (i don t remember who was joramund so i m sorry if i am saying something reaaly stupid)

This is more of a small comment than a small question...noticed during a recent GoT re-read after ADwD, in one of Sansa's final chapters, she's staring at Janos Slynt, hating him, remembering how he pushed her father down so Ser Ilyn could behead him, wishing that some hero would push him down and behead him. That made me go o_0 thinking about how Slynt does indeed meet his end in ADwD...I keep finding these little things and wondering, did he have it planned all along, or is he just connecting these things for the fun of it as he writes? :)

In the original version of the chapter involving Slynt's execution, Jon has him hanged rather than beheaded. I assume George changed it when he remembered (or someone reminded him) that Starks perform their own executions.

I thought it was believed the horn was fictitious.

wouldn' t the others know if it was ficticious or not better than anyone?

or even the chidren of the forest because of the greenseer ability?

I mean it is the strongest weapon that we know against the wall, everyone should try to find it...

Archived