[ADWD SPOILERS] Small Questions

Tony Rigatoni

no, it's the magic of the wall. Summer wasn't in the cave yet

I think it's the Wall's magic. it was implied in several points throughout the series but I think the best proof is that during a SoS when Jon passed with the wildings into the westeros's side of the Wall and Ghost stayed beyond the Wall, suddenly he did not have any wolf dreams.

I think in this case too the magic of the Wall prevents the contact. As well, as in the case of Coldhands (couldn't pass the Wall as a magical being)

Here is a small question: How did Arya end up killing that boat insurance guy she was sent to kill? I didn't quite follow it. She cut open some guys money bag, ran away and then.... she was back at the temple talking with the old guy. What did I miss?

Someone else replied, and kind of got the gist of it but not all. When Arya cut the purse, she took one of his coins but left one of her own. The reason that he died however was that Arya had previously dipped the coin into the fountain at the House of Black and White, the one that people drink from to receive 'The Gift" (poison that kills them without pain). So when her target bit into the coin (like he did with every coin taken to him), he eventually died from his 'heart giving out'. That is why Arya tells the kindly man "It wasn't stealing. I took one of his and left one of ours". She was referring to a coin from the house of Black and White.

Another question what happened to the charge of framing Margaery, if I recall a AFFC correctly the whole reason Cersei was put in jail in the first place is because her guy gave up to torture and confessed Cersei ordered him to lie about Margaery, so why is this not in the count of Cersei charges?

@Sasquatch52: welcome!

Okay, i have a question.

In Dance, we are told several times that Daemon Blackfyre loved Daenerys Targaryen and went to war when she was married to that dornish prince. So i assume that the rebellion was shortly after Daenerys's wedding. My question is: since Daemon had 7 sons by then, who was their mother? Did he marry somebody else?

no, he was surely refering to Summer. There is the Wall between them - it kinda blocks the warg-dreams

Also, Carl Drogo - awesome nick. Has it anything to do with that post on WiC? That one about the guy who though Khal Drogo was spelled Carl Drogo and started calling Daenerys "the Carl-easy"? LOL

ETA: @Lothbrok: well, he was the king..

@ whatever: Thanks for the compliment. My first contact with A Song of Ice and Fire was in April watching the first episode of the HBO series. When Roger Allam's Ilyrio first mentions Khal Drogo it sounds like Carl and never having read the name before I remember thinking that Carl sounded like a weird first name for a barbarian horselord. It obviously became clear to me that a khal was something different as Ilyrio went on to tell Viserys about the Dothraki. But the name Carl Drogo stuck, I still think it's funny.

It don't think we're going to solve the mystery of Ghost's sibling who can no longer be sensed. I don't think it's Nymeria, Arya had wolf dreams during her riverlands odysee and I believe, though I would have to look it up, even in Pentos. No reason why the connection with Ghost should be separated. I don't think it's Summer, either. Although the connection between Jon and Ghost was not there while they were separated by the wall, Ghost goes back and forth all the time with Jon, no reason for him to start doubting whether Summer is still alive. I don't think it's the children's cave either. My money is still on Grey Wind, but my guess is as good as anybody's. It'll be interesting to see if Martin ever solves this question.

@ whatever: Thanks for the compliment. My first contact with A Song of Ice and Fire was in April watching the first episode of the HBO series. When Roger Allam's Ilyrio first mentions Khal Drogo it sounds like Carl and never having read the name before I remember thinking that Carl sounded like a weird first name for a barbarian horselord. It obviously became clear to me that a khal was something different as Ilyrio went on to tell Viserys about the Dothraki. But the name Carl Drogo stuck, I still think it's funny.

It don't think we're going to solve the mystery of Ghost's sibling who can no longer be sensed. I don't think it's Nymeria, Arya had wolf dreams during her riverlands odysee and I believe, though I would have to look it up, even in Pentos. No reason why the connection with Ghost should be separated. I don't think it's Summer, either. Although the connection between Jon and Ghost was not there while they were separated by the wall, Ghost goes back and forth all the time with Jon, no reason for him to start doubting whether Summer is still alive. I don't think it's the children's cave either. My money is still on Grey Wind, but my guess is as good as anybody's. It'll be interesting to see if Martin ever solves this question.

It was harder, to me, to see Greywind die than Robb himself (I know that we never did see him die, only heard someone tell but still) if GRRM returns him to the history I think that will only shorten the greatness of the books.

what if Ghost was refering at the exact moment aka a moment at the Westeros's side of the Wall?

I think that's the case, or rather, the Bloodraven somehow blocks Ghost's sensoring to Summer.

as well, I don't think there's high probability for Grey Wind to be alive. he was chained during the red wedding making it way simpler to behead him or sth similar. yet again, if he was alive, probably Atya or Nymeria would have found out sooner or later.

although, It'll gain somekind of a symmetry if GW is really alive:

Lady is dead and Sansa alive and Gr Wind alive whilst Robb dead

I still fail to see how that would make sense, though. It sounds to me as though he KNOWS both Lady and Grey Wind are dead, so the four would have to be the remaining direwolves. The theory I would submit is that it's Nymeria he can no longer sense, as she is not with Arya anymore. If the bond requires the direwolves to be with their Stark kids, it could explain it. Ghost/Jon, Bran/Summer, and Rickon/Shaggydog, as far as we know, are all still together. Only Arya and Nymeria have been separated. Just a thought.

Im sure its only at first he can't sense the other wolf then he picks it up and it's summer who he missed at first because he was expecting all the other remaining wolves to be south of him which they had been up to that point. Maybe i remember it wrong though.

It don't think we're going to solve the mystery of Ghost's sibling who can no longer be sensed.

Can't solve a mystery that doesn't exist.

The sentence is perhaps a bit clumsy, but there's no mystery here at all. The meaning is clear: Lady and Grey Wind are dead and Ghost can't sense Summer right at that moment. End of story.

I realise that some people don't find this explanation completely satisfactory, but that's not the same thing as saying there's a 'mystery'. An ambiguity due to poor phrasing is not a 'mystery'. Particularly where the meaning is clear upon closer reading, as it is here.

Several times it has been clear that the Kingsguard served for life, until Joffrey dismissed Selmy. My question, wouldn't that imply that for a long time there had to be Kingsguard that were elderly and near useless? There had to be kings before Aerys, who did not use up his bodyguards, but we never hear about Kingsguards who are like Pycelle.

Several times it has been clear that the Kingsguard served for life, until Joffrey dismissed Selmy. My question, wouldn't that imply that for a long time there had to be Kingsguard that were elderly and near useless? There had to be kings before Aerys, who did not use up his bodyguards, but we never hear about Kingsguards who are like Pycelle.

I believe this was mentioned, either by Jaime or Martin himself, and the answer was that there would always be enough young and strong brothers to protect the King, even if one or two are just serving in honorary or ceremonial roles. Also, I doubt being a Kingsguard is the safest profession.

If my memory serves me right and IF Sandor is still alive then was he with a Septon on that island? Is that how he will fight his brother??

Yep, the silent brother on Quiet Isle is who Sandor is supposed to be.

However, it seems difficult for the plot to move him into a position to face Gregor in Cersei's trial by combat: Even if he hears of the events, they are likely to be nothing to him (after all he doesn't know that his brother will champion Cersei and nor does anyone else in Westeros save Cersei herself and Qyburn). The Faith probably has potential champions en masse (especially now they've rearmed), so when looking for a champion, they are unlikely to send a messenger to Quiet Isle asking whether they happen to have an incognito retired mystery knight who would like to return for one epic last fight. And even if the Elder Brother of Quiet Isle gets wind of the Faith's need of a champion, he will probably be loth to rearm Sandor after having made such a big deal at how he's at peace now and so on.

Don't get me wrong, I very much hope that Sandor will be the one to put Gregor down for good and I do think it's quite a realistic possibility, but I don't expect it to happen so soon at Cersei's trial.

Archived